matthewpiano

I would imagine they are excellent. Both seem to be heavily based on the 340 series components they replaced - the amp on the 340A SE. That was a superb budget amp only let down by a less than perfect channel balance but the higher quality Alps pentiometer on the new model should have sorted that out (as indeed the same part has on the 550A and 650A). Had a look at the 350 amp when I bought the Yamaha and it seems very solid for the money, although I didn't listen to it.

A

Anonymous

Hi Blackdown,

I like the esthetics of all the CA gear. I'm going to audition witgin a couple of weeks, if possible.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Shame you didn't get to listen to it. How are you finding the Yamaha again? Did you test the Yam against the NAD as comparison? I see the new 350C has a different DAC which maybe interesting. They say a bit warmer sounding. What are the 792's like by the way?

A

Anonymous

@ Matthew, I reed your posts a lot.....would the CA340SE (or another CA amp) with the CDP in the same series would match my KEF Q 5 (im happy with my speakers).

And, are you happy with your Yamaha A-S700?

matthewpiano

Hi DaliNova.

Firstly - the Yamaha. I'm absolutely delighted with it thank you.

Regarding the matching of the CA kit with your speakers I'd say you would need to try it out before committing. The KEFs major on detail and clarity and so does the CA kit - might be too much of a good thing together.

What amp are you using now and what do you want to change about the sound?

A

Anonymous

Hi Matthewpiano,

I've just update my bio with the gear i use, it takes 10 minutes to change ;-(.

Now I use a yamaha RX-497 2-channel receiver and Sony CDP-S300 bluray as an all-in one player. (With these forums I learned to use the loudness control on the RX-497 what improved the sound).

Back to your queastion. I want to improve my CD playback sound. (I listen to michael jackson, Sade, Joss Stone, George Michael, Diana Krall, usher)

So I've decided first to invest in a good CDplayer. I've sent my dealer a question that he can prepare to audition the Marantz CD6003 and the CA340C/350C with the Q5's. When my budget allows I want to replace my Receiver with or the PM7003 or the 350A/550A. My eyes need a coddle too ;-). I do not want the sound to be too harsh......hmmm maybe NAD 326 + 515...hmmmmm. I'm indecisive

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Hello

I want to ask how are you finding your Yamaha amp compared with NAD C 326BEE? I suppose the Yamaha has also warmish, sentimental sound like NAD, in my experience both have similar character.

matthewpiano

Tibor:
Hello

I want to ask how are you finding your Yamaha amp compared with NAD C 326BEE? I suppose the Yamaha has also warmish, sentimental sound like NAD, in my experience both have similar character.

The Yamaha is a better balanced sound than the NAD and avoids the excess bass that the NAD can be guilty of at times. Its a more refined sound across the board than the NAD and I'd say it is more neutral than being particularly warm or sentimental sounding. The Yamaha has less attack than the Marantz PM6003 (which in my view overdoes that side of things) but still has plenty of pace and is capable of handling big dynamic swings with ease.

matthewpiano

Blackdawn:
Shame you didn't get to listen to it. How are you finding the Yamaha again? Did you test the Yam against the NAD as comparison? I see the new 350C has a different DAC which maybe interesting. They say a bit warmer sounding. What are the 792's like by the way?

See my earlier comments about the Yamaha in this thread.

RE the 792s, they are superb speakers. Very naturally voiced with good balance across the frequency range and solid imaging. Vocals sound superb on them and everything knits together extremely well whilst maintaining good detail levels. Complete under-rated in my view and particularly effective mounted on the dedicated Mission stands which place the drivers at the ideal height.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Matthew. Interesting what you thought of the Missions. Shame their range are not as successful as in the 80's-90's. I'd like to see mission make a new front ported design with larger 8 inch driver or a closed box design like the EB2.

I see the 350C player now has 4 stars. I'll keep my 340C in that case!

matthewpiano

Reviews are only an opinion. Always worth hearing with your own ears.

My CD, amp, and speakers all only got 3 stars in WHFS&V but I personally think the electronics are a substantial cut above the usual affordable Marantz and NAD recommendations. As for the speakers, I also have a pair of Mission 751s (which I like very much), and the 792s are better in every way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts