C D player to retrieve lost bass

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Adeandlou how long ago did you own the previous system?Do you still have the pieces to try with your current speakers - be careful you have not fallen for 'rose tinted glasses syndrome' believing a previous system sounded better than it did due to dissatisfaction with current system.Other options are again speaker related - have you tried placing your speakers on a harder surface, a board or slab - sitting directly on carpet can rob bass of definition/nuance.final option is try swapping your amps around - I take it you have the power amp driving bass and the FMJ19 driving mids/tops, it won't hurt.out of curiosity how close are your speakers together and how far apart can you move them?

Adeandlou

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi there

Its aprox fouteen years ago that i had the old system and has long since been sold on, its definately not rose tinted memories-the missing base is just not there although to be absolutely acurate the subtle base notes can be just heard if i put my ears right next to the speakers, its just to quiet to be heard from my normal listening position.

I am now looking at another new amp and because i liked the sound of the original system so much, i want to stay with an Arcam and B&W set-up so will try the A38 or possibly A48 if finances allow.

Cheers

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
14yrs ago...... lol

Be carefull, I know cd's which I thought sounded stunning a few years ago don't quite have the same quality today (newer disc raising the bar). Found myself listening for things I swore I could hear when I first heard them. And I have not upgraded anything on my set - although I am prone to swap interconnects.

Not saying you're wrong just that on a given day, time, room temp, speaker position etc a system can sound stunning and a minor change, a slight change in speaker position - it never achieves that quality again, no matter how hard you try to reset it.

Have you tried swapping the amps around?

Another option is try another interconnect - I know, I know some will say thats crazy talk, but if your current ones are 14yrs old the connectors may be oxsidized or cutting off the ends of your speaker wire and re-terminating them.

just putting that one out there.... ;)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
14yrs ago...... lol

Be carefull, I know cd's which I thought sounded stunning a few years ago don't quite have the same quality today (newer disc raising the bar). Found myself listening for things I swore I could hear when I first heard them. And I have not upgraded anything on my set - although I am prone to swap interconnects.

Not saying you're wrong just that on a given day, time, room temp, speaker position etc a system can sound stunning and a minor change, a slight change in speaker position - it never achieves that quality again, no matter how hard you try to reset it.

Have you tried swapping the amps around?

Another option is try another interconnect - I know, I know some will say thats crazy talk, but if your current ones are 14yrs old the connectors may be oxsidized or cutting off the ends of your speaker wire and re-terminating them.

just putting that one out there.... ;)

Thats the case with most things in life. They lose impact after after you have seen, heard or tasted them a few times. Same with beer and photos.

Adeandlou

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Yep tried swapping amps around and cuting ends off speaker wires, havent tried changing interconects though-might be worth a try before buying a new amp, anybody know of a set that is known for not holding back on base?

Cheers

Adeandlou

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
No but i put this down to the Alpha 10p can only amplifi what it is fed and if the A19 is not feeding it the bass obviously it cant be amplified, and conversly if the A19 is not amplifying the bass from the cdp it cannot pump it out to the bass drivers in the speakers-hope that makes sence.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Adeandlou said:
Yep tried swapping amps around and cuting ends off speaker wires, havent tried changing interconects though-might be worth a try before buying a new amp, anybody know of a set that is known for not holding back on base?

Cheers

I doubt it, I think you are clutching at straws. If you want more bass buy speakers with bigger drivers.

The B & W 684 s2 speakers have only 5 inch drivers?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Adeandlou said:
No but i put this down to the Alpha 10p can only amplifi what it is fed and if the A19 is not feeding it the bass obviously it cant be amplified, and conversly if the A19 is not amplifying the bass from the cdp it cannot pump it out to the bass drivers in the speakers-hope that makes sence.

Well I have a Marantz 63SE, I upgraded my system last year, I kept the cdp because it still works OK and I dont play cds that much anymore, anyway the new speakers and amp produce so much more bass and the speakers are about the same size as before. Yes maybe cdps can improve the bass but in my demos I have not found much difference and I doubrt you want to spend £3000 on a cdp to find out. Best thing to do is have some demos I think, maybe that yr cdp and amp to a dealer and try different speakers, then swap cdp over and amps and so what makes the most difference.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Speaker cone size has very little to do with bass performance these days BigH. In fact the smaller cones would argubly give you a tighter/faster more tunefull bass over large cones slow/dragging bass simply because of less travel and stop start control - the technology has moved on.

Just googled your system parts Adeandlou and can't help feel you're expecting more from your music than is there.....lol.

The FMJ19 is about 50 watts the power amp 100wpc (aracm are usually generous) unless you live in a church or Buckingham palace thats good power from your amps.

What 14yr old CD are you playing, is all your music bass lite to your ears or just a handfull of tracks. When was the last time you bought some new music - whats the track you're refering to in the opening thread?

the spec says your amp has no tone controls - maybe you just need a graphic equaliser.....

how does the fmj sound on its own?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Speaker cone size has very little to do with bass performance these days BigH. In fact the smaller cones would argubly give you a tighter/faster more tunefull bass over large cones slow/dragging bass simply because of less travel and stop start control - the technology has moved on.

Im not sure what he is missing exactly. Larger drivers will give you more and lower bass thats why some add a sub woofer which are often 8-10 inches. Not a fan of B&W bass from the ones I heard (CM1s).

Adeandlou

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

Firstly in response to big H, I do not want more bass-the speakers have no problem in punching out realy powerfull low but tight and controlled bass. it is subtle discrete bass the system is struggling with.

In response to thomsonuxb- Its every album/track but to give you one example R E Ms everybody hurts track from automatic for the people album has in various places a subtle heart beat sounding drum line which on my old system could be clearly heard but as said previously can now only be heard if i put my ears right next to the speakers.

Cheers

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Adeandlou said:
Hi all

Firstly in response to big H, I do not want more bass-the speakers have no problem in punching out realy powerfull low but tight and controlled bass. it is subtle discrete bass the system is struggling with.

In response to thomsonuxb- Its every album/track but to give you one example R E Ms everybody hurts track from automatic for the people album has in various places a subtle heart beat sounding drum line which on my old system could be clearly heard but as said previously can now only be heard if i put my ears right next to the speakers.

Cheers

It could be the amp then, if you have same cdp then its probably not that, you have tried the old speakers as well. Could be the room? I would try to get some home demos if you can.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
It's in the same room so how can it be the room?

Same room he said he had moved house?

Here I quote "I have moved home since i had the previous system so cannot make direct comparisons with furnishings etc"

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
hifikrazy said:

Here I quote "I have moved home since i had the previous system so cannot make direct comparisons with furnishings etc"

Sorry my bad. Yes, then I would certainly agree that the main suspect would be the room acoustics.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
BigH said:
hifikrazy said:

Sorry my bad. Yes, then I would certainly agree that the main suspect would be the room acoustics.

Well it could be the amp. not cd player as that is the same.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
hifikrazy said:
BigH said:
hifikrazy said:

Yes although it's a bit hard to imagine a higher model and higher powered Arcam would be deficient in the bass.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
BigH said:
hifikrazy said:
BigH said:
hifikrazy said:

Yes but a bit hard to imagine a higher model and higher powered Arcam would be deficient in the bass.

Yes hard to imagine but he is just missing certain bass notes so could be inter reaction of amp and speakers? If room is different sharp, size or construction then that could have a large influence. Best to get down to the dealer he bought the amp/speakers from and see what he can try out.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Adeandlou, are you 100% absolutely certain that your speakers are wired in phase?

If you are, we can move onto the next step in troubleshooting your lack of lower bass.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Adeandlou, are you 100% absolutely certain that your speakers are wired in phase?

If you are, we can move onto the next step in troubleshooting your lack of lower bass.

Yes worth a try. Play some mono music that will sound odd if out of phase.

Adeandlou

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes definately in phase, checked and re-checked wires. As said previously tried set-up in different room

(Very plushly furnished small bedroom) with no improvement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts