Question Bypassing built in turntable preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry0828

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I recently bought the Sony PS-LX310BT turntable. I want to upgrade the system by using a integrated amplifier and a good set of speakers. My turntable has the capability to bypass the built in phono preamp using the PHONO/LINE switch - I believe though a phono signal output requires grounding/earthing (?). However, my turntable does not seem to have a grounding terminal anywhere. I've seen similar products, however, such as the Sony PS-HX500 and Pro-ject Juke Box E, have the same capability to bypass the built in phono preamp but these have a grounding terminal.

My question is: if I can bypass the built in phono preamp and use an external one (integrated amplifier), why does my turntable not have a grounding terminal?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Last edited:

harry0828

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Have you had any issues with the turntable in your current system or have you just been using line out?
Thanks for your reply.

No issues. I'm currently using it with the bluetooth connection as I had initially planned to. As mentioned, I'm looking to upgrade the system soon and was just curious re. the lack of a grounding terminal if I have a PHONO/LINE switch.

harry0828

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site

iMark

Most likely. Manufacturers will put detachable leads on more expensive models in case people want to "upgrade" their cables. That's when you get a separate earthing lead.

Last edited:

alan ellis

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
You only need to connect grounding terminal if you have HUM problem, if all is weli i.e. NO HUM leave alone, sometimes if the arm is metal it maybe earthed therefore shielding the fine leads to cartridge.
Hi,

I recently bought the Sony PS-LX310BT turntable. I want to upgrade the system by using a integrated amplifier and a good set of speakers. My turntable has the capability to bypass the built in phono preamp using the PHONO/LINE switch - I believe though a phono signal output requires grounding/earthing (?). However, my turntable does not seem to have a grounding terminal anywhere. I've seen similar products, however, such as the Sony PS-HX500 and Pro-ject Juke Box E, have the same capability to bypass the built in phono preamp but these have a grounding terminal.

My question is: if I can bypass the built in phono preamp and use an external one (integrated amplifier), why does my turntable not have a grounding terminal?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.
ou

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts