Buzz when dac is plugged in

swoosta

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i get a buzz through the turntable when my Nad DAC2 is on, even if I take the audio leads out. I have a cambridge audio amp and pro-ject tt. Any ideas other than unplugging the dac from mains - cheers

swoosta said:
i get a buzz through the turntable when my Nad DAC2 is on, even if I take the audio leads out. I have a cambridge audio amp and pro-ject tt. Any ideas other than unplugging the dac from mains - cheers

Interesting. Is it possible to plug DAC into a different socket to see if buzz still present?

Move DAC further away from DAC or turntable from amp and DAC.

Possibly you could try disconnecting an earth wire in the DAC if it has one because it sounds like an earth loop problem.

As suggested above, you probably have two routes to earth when you add the DAC. Hifis don't like that!

Or the DAC is too close to the signal cables and is inducing hum in the sensitive signal from your turntable.

Good luck trying alternative arrangements. And revert if unsolved!

swoosta

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, moving the dac from amp/tt has no effect, not sure how to add an earth or ground loop can anyone enlighten me - cheers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
swoosta said:
Thanks for the advice, moving the dac from amp/tt has no effect, not sure how to add an earth or ground loop can anyone enlighten me - cheers

Did you use the same power strip to plug both TT and DAC?

Ground Loop

When two or more devices are connected to a common ground through different paths, a ground loop occurs. Currents flow through these multiple paths and develop voltages which can cause damage, noise or 50Hz/60Hz hum in audio or video equipment. To prevent ground loops, all signal grounds need to go to one common point and when two grounding points cannot be avoided, one side must isolate the signal and grounds from the other.

Is the TT grounded to your amp gnd screw? Where is the amp plugged in the mains?

You get the idea. Do some troubleshooting.

swoosta

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
The tt is earthed to the amp via screw. The amp and tt are plugged and dac are all into one plug socket via extension cable sockets

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
swoosta said:
It's a Nad dac 2

High odds the problem is in the DC wallwort. Since it's 5V you can try using one of these cable converters and feed it from a different wallwort, or from a laptop, phone, battery bank.

31jwo6NaFTL.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts