buying without hearing first?

Viking

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I've just purchased a pair of B&W 683's which sound good but would like them to sound better. I'm using an old Denon PMA250 iii with them at the moment and am looking to replace it with either a Nad C356BEE, arcam FMJ A19 or maybe a Rega Brio-R. The arcam is around 200 quid more expensive where I live and I was wondering if it is 200 quid better? Although more powerful, would the Nad be better than my current Denon amp.

Thanks for any help.

matthewpiano

I wouldn't pair an entry-level Arcam amp with B&Ws. I've had personal experience and it wasn't a pleasurable one. I had an A18 with B&W 686s and it didn't work. The amp just couldn't control the speakers. I've also heard the A18 with 685s and although the superiority of the 685s shone through over the 686s, the Arcam still didn't do them anything like justice. In fact a Denon PMA720AE controlled them better.

If you like a big-boned sound with substantial bass then NAD and B&W work well together. However, if you want something more articulate sounding I'd suggest trying the Rotel RA-12.

Viking

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks for that. I've been looking at the Nad C365BEE rated at 80 watts and have a budget of around 600 pounds. I've looked at the second hand market here in Sweden for other makes & models, and I have to say there's not much out there.

Thanks again.

Hi viking

Also consider a NAD C370 and a Rotel RA-1062 (imo the finest and most balanced sounding amplifier Rotel have produced over the last ten years) or for a more recent design the NAD C356BEE. All of these amplifiers will give a substantial and worthwhile upgrade over your existing amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I wouldn't pair an entry-level Arcam amp with B&Ws. I've had personal experience and it wasn't a pleasurable one. I had an A18 with B&W 686s and it didn't work. The amp just couldn't control the speakers. I've also heard the A18 with 685s and although the superiority of the 685s shone through over the 686s, the Arcam still didn't do them anything like justice.

The A19 is different though. If it can do a sterling job with the KEF R300s, I'm sure it can handle a pair of 685s.

Viking - I'd also recommend the Rotel RA12 - Rotel and B&W work really well together, always have.

Viking

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your advise. Think I'll go for the Nad C356BEE as it seems as though most recommend this as being a good match for the speakers and for my taste in heavy music, also good price for watts.

Merry new year.

Samboy1986

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello

ive just brought a rega rp3,b&w 685 speakers and a nagaoka mp-110 cartridge. I'm just worndering if anyone could give me some advice on a nice warm amp. I've been looking at the rega brio or rotels ra12

would appreciate any advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts