Buying Media jukebox - £1000 budget

scene

OK, my DOH and I are approaching our 10th wedding anniversary
emotion-49.gif
and we're not keen on the traditional tin/aluminium present you're supposed to get (Unfortunately she's unlikely to buy me a pair of KEF Muons...
emotion-5.gif
). Instead she's suggested we get a joint present to each other of a "Media jukebox thingy" so that we can store all of our CDs and DVDs (blu-rays optional) and access them on our AV setup (see below). She'd also like it to be easy to RIP new CDs/DVDs, so a relatively non-techie approach.

To summarise the requirements:
- Media player for CDs and DVDs
- Maybe the ability to Play/Store blu-rays, but this isn't essential
- Storage for the ripped CDs/DVDs
- Connect to my, sorry "our", existing AV system
- £1,000 budget

Is this possible, and if so what do folks recommend?

NB: The anniversary is pretty soon so would like to get this in the next couple of weeks... (Oh the joy of partner-sanctioned spending!)

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'd have a look at a small ION-based PC with the free XBMC installed. You could store your files to the HD of the computer or a NAS.

You'll get a really good ION PC for between £300 and 500 with a BluRay drive. That leaves some more money to add network based storage if you wanted to, (a decent drive would be £100 - 200 dependent on amount of storage desired).

There are loads for free or relatively cheap programs that will rip a DVD or BluRay ISO. DVDecryptor is a free one for DVD and I think AnyDVD will do it for BluRays, (obviously you'll need lots of storage if you rip many BluRay ISOs).

If you want multi-room music I'd then add a Sonos Zone player for about £250 with an iPod touch for £150. Can be used to control both Sonos and XBMC with apps, (meaning you don't need TV on when you're just acccessing music).

I've looked around quite a bit and currently only XBMC and the Dune players seem to be capable of playing BluRay and DVD ISOs and decoding HD audio for resonable money. However, I don't think you'd be able to rip the ISO files via the Dune, so you'd then need a separate way to do that.

I have the Sonos with all my CDs on a NAS and it's great. I'm looking to clear some shelf space and have all my DVDs on the network again and will be going with an ION PC and XBMC in a while I think. I used to run XBMC on a modified XBox and it was great.

If you have basic computer literacy it's not rocket science to get XBMC running on a PC. The ION PCs are really small now, (about size of a DVD case, but a bit thicker), are quiet, and some can be mounted on the back of your TV.

Hope this helps.

scene

Thanks for that.

Yes, I think the Sonos and iPod Touch are a given - there goes £400 of my budget...

I'll have to look at the ION-based PC route.

Do you think a separate NAS + PC, or have the PC do double duty?

I have got to admit that although I like tinkering and DIY on the computer + software front, I'd still be interested in looking at an off-the-shelf solution. Just with the job and three small boys, I don't get much free time these days...

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello, The PC could definitely double as the storage as l;ong as you get one with a large enough hard disk. I guess it's doen to whether you want to boot the PC every time you want to play music or video in a different room, or whether you want to leave it on all the time.

For a simple one box solution at a resonable price it's tricky for video unless you want Hd audio or don't want to play ISO files.

I wasn't up for building a home theatre PC, as like yourself haven't got time, but the off the shelf ION PCs seem pretty good and installing XBMC also very easy. I think you can just boot XBMC live from a USB stick plugged into the machine.

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy:scene:

Ravey Gravey Davy:This review and this website does the biz I think- it is what I want next.

I too like the look of the musicm8, but I don't think it will rip & store DVDs or even burn an iso image of one. Which is a shame. If someone knows different, I'd love to hear.

WHF just posted about this on the home page- is this nearer the mark?

Thanks, this does look interesting - I've just been looking at it (and a first look on another website). And it's pretty cheap (£125!). OK, factor in a 1.5 TB disk (£75 -£100) and that's £200-225 for an HD media streamer - that plays Blu-Rat ISOs! Only thing is how to get the files on there - will still need to have a PC/laptop to rip from...

So, to recap Project Anniversary now looks like this:
- Sonos ZP90 £250
- iPod Touch 8GB £140
- Eminent EM7080 £125
- 1.5TB 3.5" HDD £100 (say)
- Total so far: £615

So that leaves £385 in the budget for a PC/laptop to act as ripping source (or I could drop the iPod, add the money to the PC/laptop budget and use that to control the SONOS. Or get a ZP5 for the kitchen as well and a cheaper PC.... Hmm, choices.

Need to confirm that the Eminent can feed the Sonos (sure it can) and what software can be used to rip DVDs / BluRays to the EM7080...

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Eminent does look good, but it doesn't look like it outputs HD audio. But it is a simpler solution.

If you're needing to buy a computer to rip though I think you'd be better having a computer as the player also.

scene

kinda:
Eminent does look good, but it doesn't look like it outputs HD audio. But it is a simpler solution.

I agree. With all the issues with Blu-ray and the fact that there is no legal way to store an ISO copy of a BD and play it, I'm going to have to drop the Blu-ray option off the Media Player project...

If you're needing to buy a computer to rip though I think you'd be better having a computer as the player also.

Yes, I agree that makes sense.

I suppose I'd like to make the ripping easy and non-technical. This is the only thing that worries me about a PC-based solution. I want something like a Brennan for both CDs and DVDs, where you slot the disc in and it just does it. Also, having looked at it, I want automatic Gracenote style augmentation of the CD tracks. The big brother the AVA RS3, the RS5 seems pretty close to the bill, but it's £899 + VAT (Note: prices on the TranquilPC website are ex-VAT, so I think the prices on the RS3 review are wrong), which makes it £1056, blowing the budget
emotion-6.gif
Maybe need to talk to DOH about a budget increase...

At the moment, my only given is the Sonos, as I think this makes the best start for multi-zone music - unless someone thinks the Logitech stuff is better (and if so, why?).

(Sorry - did start replying last night, but fell asleep at the keyboard and lost my session
emotion-20.gif
)

scene

OK, so Project Anniversary trundles on...

Am re-visiting the budget, and there may be a little more in the kitty, depending on the solution. My previous thoughts were:

- Sonos ZP90 £250
- iPod Touch 8GB £140
- Eminent EM7080 £125
- 1.5TB 3.5" HDD £100 (say)
- Total so far: £615

Now I've rejected the Eminent EM7080 - doesn't do HD sound out. I've got the ZP90 - picked one up on eBay for £200, which was nice. iPod prices have dropped a bit, so now only £132. Looking at either a NAS, say a Buffalo Linkstation Duo with 2 1TB disks and a WD TV Live Plus for playing the video media, and use a PC to rip the CD and DVDs, but still quite keen on the AVA RS5 (the RS3's big brother).

Been playing around with PC-based ripping options. Been playing with WinAmp, and it's OK, just not the best user interface - will look at dbPoweramp in due course. I have tried (and now bought a perpetual licence) for AnyDVD HD and I must say it is really good. It just works, rips DVDs to a variety of formats, including ISO. Used the ISO files with VirtualClone Drive and it was completely seamless, couldn't tell I didn't have the original DVD in my laptop drive, except that it was much, much faster on seeking, quieter and no pauses as content was buffered - would recommend it. Got it while they had a 20% price reduction in place - result!

So, to recap Project Anniversary now looks like this:
- Sonos ZP90 £200
- iPod Touch 8GB £132
- AnyDVD HD £78 (? 87.20)
- WD TV Live Plus £100 (say)
- Total so far: £510

And then I need to either add in the
- AVA RS5 £1056
or
- Linkstation Duo £234 (2X1TB)
- PC for ripping £???

More updates to come....

scene

JohnDuncan:Mac mini...mac mini...

Course, if you will insist on playing blu-rays you're a bit stuffed.

What for the ripping...? But is there a product like AnyDVD for the Mac?

John Duncan

scene:

For the whole thing. Stick a terabyte drive in the back and it does everything you need, as far as I can tell (apart from blu ray).

And yes, loads. MactheRipper, Handbrake, yadda yadda (though breaking the copy protection on a DVD is illegal of course and I cannot condone it).

scene

JohnDuncan:scene:

For the whole thing. Stick a terabyte drive in the back and it does everything you need, as far as I can tell (apart from blu ray).

And yes, loads. MactheRipper, Handbrake, yadda yadda (though breaking the copy protection on a DVD is illegal of course and I cannot condone it).

And then the New Mac Mini arrived, faster, sleeker, with HDMI out and I am sore tempted.

I feel the Apple Force calling me over to the Dark Side...

manicm

JohnDuncan:scene:

JohnDuncan:Mac mini...mac mini... Course, if you will insist on playing blu-rays you're a bit stuffed.

For the whole thing. Stick a terabyte drive in the back and it does everything you need, as far as I can tell (apart from blu ray). And yes, loads. MactheRipper, Handbrake, yadda yadda (though breaking the copy protection on a DVD is illegal of course and I cannot condone it).

Look at the new Mac Mini and weep.
emotion-2.gif

scene

manicm:JohnDuncan:scene:

JohnDuncan:Mac mini...mac mini... Course, if you will insist on playing blu-rays you're a bit stuffed.

For the whole thing. Stick a terabyte drive in the back and it does everything you need, as far as I can tell (apart from blu ray). And yes, loads. MactheRipper, Handbrake, yadda yadda (though breaking the copy protection on a DVD is illegal of course and I cannot condone it).

Look at the new Mac Mini and weep.
emotion-2.gif

I already have: click (posted before WHFS&V story!
emotion-15.gif
)

And as I said in my previous post (click): I feel the Apple Force calling me to the Dark Side...
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Have you thought about buying your Finance Director a bracelet from Tiffany's? If you invest say £100 doing that you should get approval for an increase in your budget for Project Anniversary.

Simon

scene

OK, things have moved on, the Apple Dark Side has called me - but not a New Mac Mini...

As at the last update I had purchased:
- Sonos ZP90 £200 (ebay)
- AnyDVD HD £78 (? 87.20)

And was planning to get
- iPod Touch 8GB £132
- WD TV Live Plus £100 (say)

And was struggling on whether to get a new Mac Mini or some Windows-based PC + NAS...

As the Mac Mini didn't have a Blu Ray drive, and so couldn't play the full gamut of media, and as it was going to be stuck in a cupboard, and I would be paying for a pretty box I'd never see, I decided to go with a Dell Zino HD, with a 1TB disk, running 64Bit Windows 7, with 6GB of memory, a BluRay Reading/DVD-Rewriter combo drive and the separate ATI graphics card. I was a bit worried about the noise levels, but decided nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Well, it has arrived and my comments are that it's a remarkably dense little box, in that it's a lot heavier than you expect, it ran perfectly out of the box and when linked by HDMI cable to my old HD-ready LCD Sony sent a 1080i picture AOK. As for noise levels, OK it's not silent, but it's quieter than my V+ box. Down the line I'll get a multi-disk SAN, but the 1TB disk is OK. I've just started configuring it - AnyDVD HD is installed, but no ripping software, nor MyMovies (yet)

As for the iPod Touch. Well, my Finance Director (aka Mrs. Scene) decided that if we were going to go down the whole 21st Century Home Entertainment route, that an iPod Touch didn't really cut the mustard... So could we get an iPad instead
emotion-2.gif
(Obviously my subliminal suggestions have worked...) So I've just ordered it - 64GB, WiFi only. This rather changes the shape and scope of the whole "Media Jukebox" project - which is becoming increasingly misnamed. I now seem to be moving fully into 21st Century wireless media hub, with multi-functional controller tablet thingy...

Now just have to get a list of apps to install on the iPad essentials so far:
- Sonos Controller
- iPad iPlayer
- LogMeIn (iPad-based access to Zino)
- Ocado shopping (helped sell it to Mrs. S!)

The Apple Dark Side had me, I predict a downwards spiral from here...

Only downside will be my next credit card statement
emotion-7.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Hey, congrats! this is a good thread. I bet a lot of people are going through similar thinking these days.

Ipad is a luxury thing - browsing and controllng in style!

so, what are the totals now, how does it all work, has it all arived and been hooked up and tested? what are your impressions?

i use it a lot and I think ocado shopping from the couch is great, isn't it?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:AlmaataKZ:I think ocado shopping from the couch is great, isn't it? Not if they don't deliver to your area. Aunts.

True... My area is limited to 2 mbps internet which is also not so great these days (less than a mile from exchange). Seoul has 1 gigabit as standard!
emotion-2.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
not sure I understand your point, I wouldn't have though Ocado are worried about the speed of your broadband, I think in my case it's got more to do with there not being a Waitrose within about 100 miles of where I live.

scene

AlmaataKZ:
Hey, congrats! this is a good thread. I bet a lot of people are going through similar thinking these days.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ipad is a luxury thing - browsing and controllng in style!

so, what are the totals now, how does it all work, has it all arived and been hooked up and tested? what are your impressions?

I'll update the totals tonight (I hope) - it's around £1500
emotion-6.gif

The Zino's arrived - iPad sometime end of next week (I think)...

i use it a lot and I think ocado shopping from the couch is great, isn't it?

Ocado is a godsend when you have young kids (three boys in our case, oldest just 6)... Means you can get food in without having to drag them (and yourselves) around a supermarket. We get a really good service as we're not that far from Ocado's HQ in Hatfield...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts