Buying hifi on Amazon

I don’t if it depends on whether Amazon are selling it themselves, or whether it’s through Marketplace which is really a shop window.

If it were from a proper dealer I’d rather go direct and they’re only paying Amazon a commission, presumably?

I don’t if it depends on whether Amazon are selling it themselves, or whether it’s through Marketplace which is really a shop window.

If it were from a proper dealer I’d rather go direct and they’re only paying Amazon a commission, presumably?
There will be a commission.

There’s a huge list of strict rules set out by Amazon for those who sell on their platform, or send stock to Amazon for them to store and despatch. They charge for the storage of your items (to be despatched on their next day Prime service), and if the item/items don’t sell within a certain period of time, which I think is about 3 months, they’re shipped back to the retailer - and if that retailer is based overseas (there’s a load of stuff from China, for example), I’ve read that they destroy the stock.

There will be a commission.

There’s a huge list of strict rules set out by Amazon for those who sell on their platform, or send stock to Amazon for them to store and despatch. They charge for the storage of your items (to be despatched on their next day Prime service), and if the item/items don’t sell within a certain period of time, which I think is about 3 months, they’re shipped back to the retailer - and if that retailer is based overseas (there’s a load of stuff from China, for example), I’ve read that they destroy the stock.
I thought so. It’s a bit like eBay as a shop I suppose. It’s fantastically useful to consumers for research etc, but a mixed blessing otherwise.

I can’t deny how handy home shopping has been during lockdown, but sad to see various physical shops closing that I know, both locally and where I grew up.

robdmarsh

Thing is about buying direct from Richer Sounds is that they charge a restocking fee. This can be quite hefty. With Amazon returns there is not restocking fee so presumably their Ts and Cs are more more beneficial to the customer than Richer Sounds' own Ts and Cs.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Thing is about buying direct from Richer Sounds is that they charge a restocking fee. This can be quite hefty. With Amazon returns there is not restocking fee so presumably their Ts and Cs are more more beneficial to the customer than Richer Sounds' own Ts and Cs.
Buying RS online there is no restocking fee. If you buy in store the restocking fee is 20 per cent I believe.

Never seem to have had a re-stocking fee applied - does this mean the website should be cheaper than the store's headline price? I've never noticed that.

EDIT - A quick google reveals that this is 10%, and that it only applies to items you return having changed your mind, and not where the item is in any way defective. I don't change my mind, so this isn't relevant to me.

Reactions: Al ears
One issue with Amazon is that if someone buys something and sends it back, when Amazon receive it, if the packaging looks fine, they’ll just supply it to the next buyer, regardless of what the condition of the unit is inside, or if it’s missing anything accessories wise. If it looks tatty or is faulty, missing bits etc (if they check), it’s just sent back to the retailer, which they’ll charge you for.

One issue with Amazon is that if someone buys something and sends it back, when Amazon receive it, if the packaging looks fine, they’ll just supply it to the next buyer, regardless of what the condition of the unit is inside, or if it’s missing anything accessories wise. If it looks tatty or is faulty, missing bits etc (if they check), it’s just sent back to the retailer, which they’ll charge you for.
We've had the odd thing from Amazon Warehouse where bits have been missing. It can work very well, but there is a whole host of things I'd never get from warehouse...

Makes you wonder why any dealer would want to use the Amazon storefront unless they are desperate or cannot set up their own online presence.

Most just want more sales and more exposure, with Amazon being the largest online sales platform. I’ll never sell anything on there, for a number of reasons.
I guess if they can afford to take the hit of Amazon's percentage of whatever they charge for commission it might be worthwhile however I don't recall any dealers severely undercutting other dealers so it's pretty much of a muchmess where you buy the item from.
I am all for supporting my local dealerships even if it does mean paying a few pounds more.

Tinman1952

But yes, I do believe that if you sell on Amazon, you have to abide by their excessively extreme rules.
I wouldn't call it 'excessively extreme' when distance selling regulations give you 14 days to notify you wish to return an item and then another 14 days to send it back....that's 28 days grace!
Amazon's policy guarantees its huge turnover....

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Whilst I probably wouldn't buy hifi or avr equipment through Amazon, at least unless I knew exactly what I wanted and it was a very good price, I recently had an experience that showed some advantage of buying from there. This was not hifi but a garden bench, via a Marketplace trader, which went rusty within 10 months. The trader wasn't interested in refunding my money for what was obviously unacceptable quality but after several to and fro messages and getting nowhere, Amazon stepped in and provided the refund. Presumably they can put much more pressure on the seller to get their money back and we are good customers of Amazon, but it does show a benefit over dealing direct with the seller if they are unhelpful.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Gray

That app of theirs, the one with a map that shows you how many stops away the delivery driver is with your order.....that's what really brings home what an unbelievable success story the company is.
It got me seriously wondering if there was anyone down my road that had not bought something from them. Scale that up........and only Plastic Penguin here has never used them :)
(Good for you PP).
Anyone who's ever had cause to use their customer services will have no doubt about the recipe for the success.

Of course they're not perfect, you need to jump through loads of hoops and be extremely sure of their endless T&C when taking up their discounts - but play them at their game and you can get some bargains.
I've spent too much with them, but I've saved plenty and had (truly) unbeatable customer service - with much to compare them with over the years - including some shockingly bad retailers.

The thread is about buying hi-fi. I've never bought any serious separates from them.
(Although it would be a darn site easier than travelling to my nearest Audio T or Richer).

At some point I will use them for perhaps buying CDs, vinyl or a pair of trainers. But hi-fi? Nah.

IME, there's something unmistakable about visiting a hi-fi store: seeing the components on the shelves, the smell.... and just communicating with the sales person. I like that human interaction. Use them or lose them.

I know companies like Amazon make items accessible.... it's made us lazy in the process. And it's a sterile way of buying products: you look at, generally, a generic image on a computer or a Smart phone screen and press a button.

And, also, I'm genuinely concerned the high street as we know it is numbered. If that happens we'll all be walking around like robots

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

DCarmi

I've had some decent successes with Amazon in the past. Particularly from Az Warehouse when they have deals on and Az have a lightning deal on the new item.

e.g. Mint condition DM41DAB £144 . Described as box damaged (i.e. it had been opened) and some scratches, which I could not see. All the labels were still on the device and the cables still bound and the paperwork sealed.

I have had other such successes and not had to return anything other than one small item and they even had that collected.

However, I do agree there is no substitute to a good hifi shop experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts