Buying expensive records for an investment

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thinking of buying a first pressing of Black sabbath first album with the Philips under the vertigo label which its going to cost anything up to £500 or more
Do you think this album will carry on making money for years to come long after the band has past ?
The album is already 49 years old and i was going to buy it as an investment for my daughter when she is older

D

Deleted member 108165

Difficult to say BS. Collectables are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for them. I'm not a collector so personally I buy originals to play them, but I'd pass on £500 for an LP... but as I say I'm not a collector.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Difficult to say BS. Collectables are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for them. I'm not a collector so personally I buy originals to play them, but I'd pass on £500 for an LP... but as I say I'm not a collector.
This is the thing Doug i need advise of someone who collects i do have some first pressings of Black sabbath and the first album as a first but not first pressing and i play this album all the time but if i buy this album it would not be played just displayed

Jimboo

Has it got the bag with it ? It would need to be mint to warrant that price. eBay idiots might pay that but collectors either have it or would pay less.
Think of it this way the market is right now very bouyant. Who is paying the big bucks for these things? Middle aged men like me. I am getting older and once the mid life crisis starts to slow done so will the market.
Chopper bike prices went through the roof because of seventies kids wanting a bit of their past , they get older cannot ride them , market starts to flood and the must haves start to decline. Their desirability is always waning.
Sabbath is collectible and so is the vertigo label. You need to check everything via discogs website. It sounds dear to me and you need to have it pristine and complete.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Has it got the bag with it ? It would need to be mint to warrant that price. eBay idiots might pay that but collectors either have it or would pay less.
Think of it this way the market is right now very bouyant. Who is paying the big bucks for these things? Middle aged men like me. I am getting older and once the mid life crisis starts to slow done so will the market.
Chopper bike prices went through the roof because of seventies kids wanting a bit of their past , they get older cannot ride them , market starts to flood and the must haves start to decline. Their desirability is always waning.
Sabbath is collectible and so is the vertigo label. You need to check everything via discogs website. It sounds dear to me and you need to have it pristine and complete.
It would hard to find a copy that is mint given its 49 years old but here is a link to the album i am interested in its currently at £300 ..

Jimboo

He looks like a reputable seller. Couple of things the one on discogs for £400 was put up for sale in 2018 ,still there. I don't like the lack of info (see the other one on sale for £255)
Plastic bubbled sleeves are a no no and damage covers , interesting it is still on for the pics and no picture of the vinyl. eBay guy bidding at £300 really wants it I think , lol.
It is eBay so I expect it may go for a silly price , once they get the fever there is no stopping them. Me , I wouldn't bother. Discogs and popsike are your friends here , you will get it for less than five hundred. Someone will pay more but hey , it's a lottery.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
He looks like a reputable seller. Couple of things the one on discogs for £400 was put up for sale in 2018 ,still there. I don't like the lack of info (see the other one on sale for £255)
Plastic bubbled sleeves are a no no and damage covers , interesting it is still on for the pics and no picture of the vinyl. eBay guy bidding at £300 really wants it I think , lol.
It is eBay so I expect it may go for a silly price , once they get the fever there is no stopping them. Me , I wouldn't bother. Discogs and popsike are your friends here , you will get it for less than five hundred. Someone will pay more but hey , it's a lottery.
The seller sent more pictures as i wanted more info as there are only 4 pictures on the ebay listing but not sure if you can see theses https://mesg.ebay.co.uk/mesgweb/ViewMessageDetail/0/All/127622165770 but condition looks pretty good and it is a hard to find record

Jimboo

I cannot see the pics for some reason , the median price is 120 last sold on discogs and looking at other sales 500 is top dollar. It is not super rare, it is collectible and there is a market for it. God forbid if Ozzy or Tony die it will bump up for awhile as is the way. I have records that I have seen go up and down in value. The market is strong , great for selling bad for buying. It's up to you but I don't see it being a long term money maker as today's younger generation do not covet the hard copy media version. You will see and find other copies for sale. It's worth to you is one thing, as an investment it is it's worth to others that you need to think about.

Agree with daytona600, a piece of vinyl, perhaps like a great painting, is already deteriorating with age as is the packaging.
The great painting may still be a good investment, unfortunately the bit of vinyl is not..
Whilst they may fetch good prices now in this 'vinyl revival' age it isn't likely to last.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The thing is over the years I have collected vinyl that I liked of my favourite bands and liked going round record shops collecting it but that was 20 or more years ago when we had shops like that .
Now they have all long gone and I started collecting vinyl well before this current trend of vinyl is trendy .
Currently it’s at £300 which is a lot of money but it’s a first pressing so my idea was given more time it would increase in value so that was my thinking but obviously I would be buying it at the peak of the market which I know isn’t a great idea if I was honest about it so that’s why I asked if it was worth buying .

Jimboo

I am watching it now :) I love eBay buyers , everything is rare and mint condition is variable. I have bought from eBay but I buy when things end during the week and don't go over what I think it is worth. Sunday night is when the fever is at its peak.
As I said this album is easily found and always for sale. I would keep an eye on discogs and eBay and popsike. Often people on record collector magazines sale section offer things at a good price and are reliable.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am watching it now :) I love eBay buyers , everything is rare and mint condition is variable. I have bought from eBay but I buy when things end during the week and don't go over what I think it is worth. Sunday night is when the fever is at its peak.
As I said this album is easily found and always for sale. I would keep an eye on discogs and eBay and popsike. Often people on record collector magazines sale section offer things at a good price and are reliable.
Currently it’s sitting at £455 and there still over an hour to go

Jimboo

I know , madness. Currently you would have to sell it again for a lot of money to make a profit. It sickens me that the people who pay that much money are taking all that was good about crate digging away from those of us that used to enjoy it.

£1-£2 new from woolworths if i recall correctly
Much like my first ever piece of black vinyl also purchased in Woolworths, this being Pink Floyd's 'Relics' which I still own....
I really am going to have to sort through and market some of my collection....... :cool:
I really do wonder about some people that will buy vinyl that has previously been used for this sort of money, however I suppose if it was still sealed the inner liner would have completely disintegrated by now and trashed the vinyl anyway.
Meanwhile I am off to see if it ever came out on SACD.... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts