Buying Advice Sound in Warehouse/Office Space / Sonos?

canadianjedi

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
Looking for some advice for warehouse/office space. Is SONOS recommended?

We have about 1000 sq ft. 20' ceilings.... Please see attached. Entire space is 1875 sq ft.

The east sidewall in the lounge will have 75" TV - beyond that to the north is an overhang for the mezzanine and some offices.

Looking to be able to have some decent sound on the main floor/lounge area....

Looking for ideas for good sound when we have people/groups/parties, etc. Also hoping for something simple...

My current thinking is

1) Sonos Arc Soundbar Wallmounted below the TV
2) Sonos sub on the floor in the lounge
3) Two Wireless 5s mounted - maybe one under the exposed stairs and one at the back near the garage door.
4) Maybe mount two smaller sonos on top of the golf sim?

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 3.58.54 PM.png

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I could be wrong here but I don't think an arc and speakers can be used for music, only in the surround sound mode in movies, if so the arc with 5s may not be the best in theory. You can (I think) link loads of sonos together though for a big music sound

canadianjedi

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
Oh really? Interesting. There would be obviously some desire for some good sound for sports, etc in the lounge. But don't really need "surround"

The review here says "It's easy to play music through the Arc without touching the Sonos app at all. Just like its siblings, it will appear as a playback device in the Spotify and Tidal phone apps, and AirPlay 2 allows for almost any audio to be sent to it from an iOS device. It can also be controlled via Alexa and Google Assistant, with the four far-field microphones spaced along the chassis able to pick up your commands, even when music or a movie is blasting out."

I just assumed with TV off, that could be used in conjunction with the other speakers?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Someone may chime in with more. I was thinking of getting an arc and two speakers for surrounds some time back and was informed the 3 speakers couldn't work together (handy anyway) but I didn't look that deep in. Arc can certainly play music on it's own so maybe there's a setting for movies and music, all speakers playing in mono

I could be wrong here but I don't think an arc and speakers can be used for music, only in the surround sound mode in movies, if so the arc with 5s may not be the best in theory. You can (I think) link loads of sonos together though for a big music sound
Wrong. Arc can be used for music too, just like any other Sonos speaker. With party mode, you can include the surround speakers too.

Last edited:

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
This situation looks ideal Sonos territory to me.
Everything will play together when you want it to and individually when you don't.
A couple of 1's could comfortably cover your rear surround channels in the lounge and you won't have to worry about trailing cables.
I'd also recommend hunting down a few (now discontinued) Play 3's from Ebay.
They offer significantly more grunt than the 1 and the going rate's about £120 each.
Though older, the 3's will still work with the new S2 Sonos app, too.

insider9

Looking for some advice for warehouse/office space. Is SONOS recommended?

We have about 1000 sq ft. 20' ceilings.... Please see attached. Entire space is 1875 sq ft.

The east sidewall in the lounge will have 75" TV - beyond that to the north is an overhang for the mezzanine and some offices.

Looking to be able to have some decent sound on the main floor/lounge area....

Looking for ideas for good sound when we have people/groups/parties, etc. Also hoping for something simple...

My current thinking is

1) Sonos Arc Soundbar Wallmounted below the TV
2) Sonos sub on the floor in the lounge
3) Two Wireless 5s mounted - maybe one under the exposed stairs and one at the back near the garage door.
4) Maybe mount two smaller sonos on top of the golf sim?

View attachment 2183
Hi OP, got a few questions which I think would allow us to give you a better advice. I forsee that you may run into problems not planning it properly.

In your point 3) what would be the distance between the speakers? I understand you're thinking about using them hanging off wall/ceiling? What would mean the closest distance to listener from one of these speakers? Could you stand directly underneath it? Assuming the listeners is as close as possible to one speaker (standing below it) what would then be the distance from listener to the other speaker? Can please clarify, this hasn't been discussed at all.

Also how big of a party can you host? Have you used a pair of Sonos at reasonable volume for this application in a space this size? What's your expectation of volume?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Wrong. Arc can be used for music too, just like any other Sonos speaker. With party mode, you can include the surround speakers too.
Of course the arc can be used for music too. I never said it couldn't. What I am saying is that as far as I know if you have an arc and two other sonos as surrounds, them 3 speakers can't be used together for music in that way, teamed up essentially. The arc would become the only one playing for stereo unless you create another group, which then would be all mono

I probably explain it badly. There's ways around but it doesn't work straight off the bat

Party mode- yes that was the term. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts