Buying a mate a system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a thanks to all my mate has done over the years, I thought I would buy him a hi-fi system!

Okay, I don't want to buy a Naim or anything, but as I'm going to give him my Mission E30 speakers, I need an amp and a CD player to go with it. I was looking at the Pioneer A-400, but they seem to be getting a bit pricey for what they actually are these days. The Arcam Alpha 8 amp is a possiblility, but as for CD players, I'm stumped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and I would like to keep the budget for both under £150, if possible.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You'll have to give us a bit more info about your mate. What music does he like? Does he drive a Volvo? Is he a pro photographer? Does he like his speakers to be crammed in next to his wardrobe, ya nah, that kind of thing Hughesy!

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
You'll have to give us a bit more info about your mate. What music does he like? Does he drive a Volvo? Is he a pro photographer? Does he like his speakers to be crammed in next to his wardrobe, ya nah, that kind of thing Hughesy!

Nah, non of the above! He likes similar music to me (prog rock) but also a bit of 60s phycodelic stuff and some more modern bands like "Kings of Leon" etc. He doesn't drive a Volvo, but he has a Vespa and a 1994 Defender! And no speakers crammed next to wardrobes, rather speakers crammed next to guitar amps!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Add benefactor to the endless list of attributes!!

I hear JVC micros are very good these days :)

emotion-20.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Full-house LP12, Naim CD552/NAC552/six-pack of NAP250s/DBLs, and a panther. House-trained, of course...

PS 'over the years'??? You're (allegedly) fifteen and three quarters, for Heaven's sake - you don't even know what 'over the years' means. Unless of course he introduced you to Hi-Fi Valve Kit Flogger magazine when you were four years old.

A

Anonymous

Seriously, or I'll end up buying a JVC just to spite you all...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Tony_R:
Sorry - off topic..

Hughes, are you related in any way to Leonard Charles Hughes?

Okay, slightly worried at this moment in time...
As in L.C. Hughes?

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Tony_R:
Sorry - off topic..

As in L.C. Hughes?

Yes - but worried? Why?

No need.

A

Anonymous

Tony_R:Hughes123:Tony_R:
Sorry - off topic..

As in L.C. Hughes?

Yes - but worried? Why?

No need.

Yeh, the Bicester scrapyard owners. I'm not sure what the relation is, but there is some kind of family connection (quite a few generations back.)

Do you live in Bicester then?

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Tony_R:Hughes123:Tony_R:
Sorry - off topic..

As in L.C. Hughes?

Yes - but worried? Why?

No need.

Yeh, the Bicester scrapyard owners. I'm not sure what the relation is, but there is some kind of family connection (quite a few generations back.)

Do you live in Bicester then?

And caravan park owners too...

I was searching for scrap metal dealers and I came across the site of LC Hughes - and the thought occurred to me that you may be related, and this is where you have accrued your apparently considerable wealth.

It was a long shot anyway..

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
al7478:i lived in bicester for a few years. me mam was born there too, as it goes.

Had a cousin who lived in a nearby village called Ambroseden (sorry if spelling is incorrect) about 30 years ago..

Lived in Merton Road (the main road through the village IIRC)

A

Anonymous

al7478:i lived in bicester for a few years. me mam was born there too, as it goes.

Really?! What estate did you live on?

A

Anonymous

Tony_R:

Had a cousin who lived in a nearby village called Ambroseden (sorry if spelling is incorrect) about 30 years ago..

Lived in Merton Road (the main road through the village IIRC)

Post changed by Hughes123, to make sure I was abiding by forum rules.

T

the record spot

So, what's the forum policy about letting loose on too much personal detail again....?

A

Anonymous

the record spot:So, what's the forum policy about letting loose on too much personal detail again....?

Apart from saying the town where I live, I havn't revealed any personal details whatsoever.

T

the record spot

No, except that your uncle's the fire station chief in a nearby village...at least, I'm assuming Armcot's a village. Doesn't take much to work out the rest!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:
As a thanks to all my mate has done over the years, I thought I would buy him a hi-fi system!

Okay, I don't want to buy a Naim or anything, but as I'm going to give him my Mission E30 speakers, I need an amp and a CD player to go with it. I was looking at the Pioneer A-400, but they seem to be getting a bit pricey for what they actually are these days. The Arcam Alpha 8 amp is a possiblility, but as for CD players, I'm stumped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and I would like to keep the budget for both under £150, if possible.

This is getting tedious monsiur jaque. Whenever a subject is posted regarding,what amp,which speakers, cant make my mind up between....... etc etc. You seem to know the goods and bad of everything out there. So why in the name of all thats breathing do you with your lifetimes knowlege need help on buying 2 nights on the lashes worth of gear. Get a set up down from the loft !!!. Will you give it a rest when you reach 3000 posts. If so bloody hurry up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts