Buying a 2nd-hand amp.... questions?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I have seen a 2nd hand amp advertised - the brand/model I know very well, and it is described as being in "excellent condition". I'm thinking I should be asking questions before making an offer, but can't think of any! Speakers, turntable, cd player even, I could think of a few, but what regards to an amplifier? Any suggestions before I part with my hard earned cash?

A

Anonymous

1) how old is the amp?

2) was it used daily or kept in the cupboard?

3) has it been sent for repairs before?

4) still under warranty?

5) any scratches on the casing?

btw, when buying a second-hand amp, chk if spare parts are still available.

A

Anonymous

does not help asking too many questions, ... main thing is that the seller says the item is in good condition .... if you are buying off ebay, pay with paypal and you will be protected if the item is faulty or not as described

best is to collect in person and test it properly before parting with your cash

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
dim_span:
.... if you are buying off ebay, pay with paypal and you will be protected if the item is faulty or not as described

best is to collect in person and test it properly before parting with your cash

And there-in lies my problem - the amp is advertised on a 2nd-hand hi-fi website which takes no responsibility for subsequent transactions, and it is at the other end of the country, so collection not an option.

Looks like I'm going to have to give it a miss - really frustrating as the amp in question only comes up once in a blue moon, and only once have I seen it on ebay (frustratingly, after the auction closed).

Oh well, better safe than sorry I guess.

T

the record spot

Not at all, far from it in fact. Check with the seller about the general condition as previously mentioned, also if there has been any work carried out, how many owners, original packaging, etc, etc. All useful to know.

Determine the payment options - PayPal is good, but if you can, make the payment (if the value is over £100) using your credit card through PayPal. Then, if there IS a problem, PayPal may be able to help, but if not, your credit card company may assist.

I must admit, I can't understand the cash on collection rationale when better and more secure options exist. You've no means of getting your money back short of going to the small claims court for one thing after relying on the seller's goodwill. Paying by PayPal and/or credit card is far more secure in the event of a problem. Note a Debit Card provider won't help you out in many cases; a minority do, even if they carry the Visa or MasterCard symbol, forget it. Use the Credit Card for the additional peace of mind.

The website may not take responsibility, but the seller must describe the item accurately if you purchase in good faith based on that.

Lastly, if you know the amp well, I'd be inclined to go for it as you will more or less have a good idea of what you are buying. Try and talk to the seller first though if you possibly can.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

all of my hifi equipment has been bought 2nd hand ... and in all instances, I have travelled to collect items and tested them before parting with cash

when I bought my Pioneer SA-9800 amp, I travelled by train from cambridge to Bournsmouth ....

its worth the extra cost and safer than having the amp shipped, especially if it is an amp that you really want and is a high cost item ...

if it is very far, it may be worth the £35 extra for a night in a B&B ... and travel on a weekend (or take 2 days sick leave from work)
emotion-1.gif

one can travel from London to aberdeen in 1 day on a train

T

the record spot

Yes, London to Aberdeen in a day, that's about 7 or 8 hours depending on the service from Kings Cross. But you then need to lug the amp around. I just bought a Sansui AU-717 which is 18kgs minus the packaging. Imagine lugging that to the train station, that's assuming you don't drop it of course. Even with cabs, it's a royal pain in the backside. Give me the security of the insured delivery and the insurance provided by PayPal or your credit card provider.

A

Anonymous

was just an example ... cannot remember the exact cost I paid from cambridge to bournesmith, but was somewhere in the region of £45 return (off peak) ...

but took most of the day to travel (and had to carry the darn thing ....over 40 lbs in weight)

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers for that trs, much appreciated - a number of good points well made. Have not purchased 2nd hand over the internet other than through fleabay, so this all a bit new to me! Am a trusting sort of person usually, which has come back to bite me in the past, hence my erring on the side of caution.

Have flip-flopped on which way to go so much over the past few days I'm making Hamlet look like the greatest decision maker of all time
emotion-1.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
when i sell stuff on ebay always ask for cash on collection but always have set up for ppl to demo - have had ppl travel quiet a distance to pick up also had one guy send one of his sales reps to collect a stand off me as lived about 3.5 hours away

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts