buy onkyo av reciever or avoid the company like a plague given the issues on some models.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Tricky-Ricky said:
I must be one of the unfortunate ones, as after just on two years my Onkyo TX-NR 609 has died with the classic HDMI board problems, and if you think these failures are limited think again, i am also a member of the AV forums and there are lots of receiver failures posted there, and if you care to go onto the Onkyo EU face-book page you will see literally hundred's of problems.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to get another Onkyo if you've had a faulty one, but note my earlier comments - the fact there are hundreds of failures is a testament to the popularity of the brand, and not necessarily a fact that there is a fundamental issue. Onkyo sell a lot of AV receivers - we're easily talking hundreds of thousands of units worldwide over the last 2 years (if not in the millions). So even if just 1% of all of those failed within that period, that would still amount to thousands of faulty units.

I understand of course that this is little consolation if you are one of the unlucky 1%.

Tricky-Ricky said:
admittedly Onkyo offered a free repair, but i still would have had to pay £20-30 odd for carriage

It's good to see a manufacturer honouring the fact their product should definitely have lasted longer than it did and not trying to worm out of their legal obligations and hide behind a 1 year warranty. If anything, I think this statement has increased my likelihood of buying another Onkyo as and when I need to replace my 905.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts