Buy a new amp

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Ive heard NAD 326bee and Marantz PM6004 and I like many things of the Marantz and only a pair of the NAD, but what I like of the NAD for me is the most important, I explain:

What I like of the Marantz is the natural tonally of the voices and instruments, definition, sound stage, the treble and medium but I feel that that the music havent enought weight and is not as punchy as the NAD does. For me the Nad sounds more organic and musical, than the Marantz that sounds lighter and poor.

Is there any amp that I can get ( new or used ) under 500 Pounds that could have the best of both?

Could be any of those?:

Rega Brio R

Arcam Alpha 10

Any Rotel?

Any Yamaha?

Thanks

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
How loud did you demo the marantz? If up only up to say 10.30 try it with the loundness button on, you might get the sound you want.

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Cannot use normally volume at 10.30. I need to use it lower, i live in a condom. When i have used the loudnees i feel i lose mids. Ill try again any way.

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Didnt say smooth as Marantz. What i like from the Marantz is the definition, sound stage and natural tonally.

The Nad would be perfect for me with a bit of definition, and better treble. I thiks is too dark. Just this, nothing more. Nad is a 350£ amp. Imposible to get some thing better for 200/300£ more?

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Arcam alpha 10 would be my choice.

I preferred the sound of my alpha 9 over my nad c370 until I blew it. Alpha 10 is an absoloute stormer.

(alpha 9/10/nad c370 are roughly the same level of sound quality, more of a presentation difference, alpha 8/9 would also work).

all the alphas had the same pre amp I believe but different power amp electronics.

What are your speakers?

You could get a c370+ c270/ alpha 10/10p which would be a stunning combo for under £500. Would take a lot to beat.

I may be wrong on this but I think the power amp section in c370/alpha 10 is better than the pre amp, so a long term uprade could be to buy a seperate pre amp, and use c370/c270 II alpha 10, alpha 10p combe both as slave amps.

But anyway I digress, an alpha 10 should be a big upgrade over nad c326 on its own anyway, for around £200 on ebay.

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
jgma1975 said:
Cannot use normally volume at 10.30. I need to use it lower, i live in a condom. When i have used the loudnees i feel i lose mids. Ill try again any way.

Sorry,I have mistaken.

Thats happens when you arent using your own lenguage.

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
alienmango said:
Arcam alpha 10 would be my choice.

I preferred the sound of my alpha 9 over my nad c370 until I blew it. Alpha 10 is an absoloute stormer.

(alpha 9/10/nad c370 are roughly the same level of sound quality, more of a presentation difference, alpha 8/9 would also work).

all the alphas had the same pre amp I believe but different power amp electronics.

What are your speakers?

You could get a c370+ c270/ alpha 10/10p which would be a stunning combo for under £500. Would take a lot to beat.

I may be wrong on this but I think the power amp section in c370/alpha 10 is better than the pre amp, so a long term uprade could be to buy a seperate pre amp, and use c370/c270 II alpha 10, alpha 10p combe both as slave amps.

But anyway I digress, an alpha 10 should be a big upgrade over nad c326 on its own anyway, for around £200 on ebay.

Thnaks, This Arcam is one of my favorites to make the change. Could you describe me how does the Arcam sound in comparison any other amp?

My Speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 122, Im very happy with them ( ex BW 602 S3, Rega RS1, MA BX2 ) they have shy treble and is what i like.

Anyway I would like more opinions.

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
While I wait inside my condom, ive bought an Arcam Alpha 10.

I must say, wow, it sounds amazing, and just the way i wanted. Organic, punchy and much more open tha the Nad. Anyway, the treble isnt as present as the Marantz but with better definition, better medium, better dinamyc, much better bass than the Nad it has been a notably improved for me.

thanks for the advice.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Congrats dude glad you're happy.

If you want to upgrade then simply buy a alpha 10p and biamp, but you won't really need to unless you drop a few grand elsewhere.

Best of luck!

T

the record spot

Get the Alpha 10 of that lot. if you can live with the woeful plastic fascia, you'll get a very fine amp. You should get a mint one for about £300 or less. Shop around, they come up often.

matthewpiano

You know what, I actually like the looks of the entire Alpha series, 'woeful plastic' or not! I still don't think Arcam have matched the Alphas since, in terms of performance per pound and a overall feeling of sounding 'right'.

Good choice.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
If you like most things of the Marantz package, why don't you look for a more powerful model like the Marantz PM7004. This model will give you a lot more bass impact. I used to have a pm6004 in my bedroom-set. I replaced the 6004 for a 7004 and the difference was quite apparant. My B&W 686's Obviously need some more power to really come alive. The PM7004 is no longer in production but might still be available. The 7004 might just be a tad more expensive than a 6004.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts