Buy a DAC or CD6004? Confused.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Guys, I see that cost is being brought into the equation as some sort of measure for quality. It isn't.

DACs are cheap things, really cheap and the DACs that I have built or tinkered with, have been cheap evaluation boards costing about £20 for DAC board and PSU board, only a case is required to finish unless swapping out any semiconductors to 'tune' the sound. These boards sound just fine and it might also be worth noting that an audibly transparent DAC can be had for around £100 as a complete unit, so fortunes are not required to essentially get the very best in audible performance.

What the extra cost will bring, is a fancy case (aesthetics), additional function and/or inputs. So in theory, the very best sound need not cost much more than a few hundred pounds and come with a host of features.

Try THIS and THIS for some info.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Interestingly, Hi FChoice have just a carried out a blind listening test of DACs, with Audiolab M-DAC coming out on top and the DacMagic and M-DAC coming out over £1,000+ DACs from Chord and Cyrus

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
GSB said:
Spursgator,do you not use the dacs off the oppo then...i read the sabre's are referance!

What is your set-up mate? :)

Sorry for the slow reply GSB. On my main system, almost all of my music is in Apple Lossless on a Mac Mini routed through the Benchmark via optical. So that part is pretty simple. The Oppo is connected both to the Benchmark (via coaxial) and directly to the amp (via XLR). It is also connected to my TV via HDMI, along with the Mac Mini and a PS3 (also via HDMI). The digital output of the TV in then connected to the digital input of the Mac Mini.

So basically all three of the sources connected to the TV are sending a digital signal to the Mac, on which I installed a little playthrough app that sends anything on the digital input directly to the digital output (and thus to the Benchmark).

So when I am using the Oppo, I can listen three ways:

1. Directly through the Benchmark via coaxial.

2. Less directly though the Benchmark: HDMI to the TV, then optical to the Mac, then optical to the Benchmark.

3. Through the analogue outputs of the Benchmark via XLR (i.e., using the Sabre DACs on the Oppo).

I cannot hear any difference between #1 and #2 when listening to CDs - in effect I am listening to the Benchmark either way and the extra digital signal path doesn't hurt at all in #2. The Apple Lossless files on the Mac v. the same CD on the Oppo, through the Benchmark, also sound exactly the same as either #1 or #2.

With two DVDs that I tested, I thought maybe that #1 was slightly better than #2. It could be that the Mac is dithering the 24 bit words to 16 bits before sending it to the DAC. Or maybe it's my imagination. The difference is slight, if it even exists.

On the only DVD-A disc I own, a Marvin Gaye compilation, I really felt like #1 was superior to #2. It seems clear that the Mac is not sending the full 96/24 signal to the DAC. I'm sure it's possible to tweak the Mac to fix this but I haven't bothered - easier to just flip the switch on the DAC.

Now, to answer your question: there is always a clear improvement when switching between #1 and #3. I did not try it blindfolded but the first time I flipped that switch, my wife said, unprompted, 'Woah, it sounds better like that.' This was on a DVD. With a Redbook CD the difference was less - I still think the Benchmark is better but it's not the obvious improvement you get with DVD. The Oppo sounds excellent and I would not describe the difference as overwhelming, but the Benchmark DAC is clearly better.

Note that you cannot play an SACD through an outboard DAC - when I listen to SACDs it has to be #3 (in case you don't know, SACDs are encrypted and cannot be streamed digitally except though HDMI with HDCP. An SACD directly though the Oppo DACs sounds very, very good - generally better than a Redbook CD played through the Benchmark (though with newer, well-mastered CDs, the difference is prettty minor). The sound is a bit analytical compared to the very best disc players that I have heard (the WHF review of the Oppo is dead-on, in my opinion).

All of this reporting is to satisfy the curious. The bottom line is that I am really happy with the Oppo. It is versatile, it's a splendid Blu-Ray player that pairs very well with my 3D TV, it will play basically any disc you throw in it, and the sound will satisfy all but the most cripplingly obsesed. It is thoroughly recommended.

But if you are in the market for a DAC, and just want a disc transport to go with it to play CDs, the Oppo is overkill. A CD player in the 200-300 range, a digital cable, and the Benchmark will beat almost any CD playback system on the market save for the most exotic - and play your lossless files from a computer as well as the discs. I have the Oppo because I wanted a Blu-Ray player with great DVD upscaling, that would also play hi-rez discs, that had the attention to detail to satisfy an audiophile. I am really happy with it.

A

Anonymous

so would a rega dac or mf m1 dac improve a lot to my cd6004?

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
richiesuk said:
so would a rega dac or mf m1 dac improve a lot to my cd6004?

I have not heard the Rega and I've only heard the MF m1 in a hifi shop, briefly. I definitely think it will be better than your Marantz and if you examine what you are paying and where the money is going, that makes sense. But I don't really know. My Benchmark is clearly better than my Cambridge DACMagic, which is a major improvement over either of my computers' sound cards or my old Toshiba DVD player. The MF sounded fine in the store, but hard to tell how it compares to the BM in a shop (I wasn't shopping for a DAC when I heard it - was part of a demo).

The only thing that makes your question hard is the 'a lot' part. Depends on the rest of your system I guess - and your expectations. Your CD player is pretty good but they get much better. But it's diminishing returns when you get into high end - you have to spend a lot for improvements that are pretty minor. But if you've spent big money on amps and speakers...

IMO you should try to audition the Musical Fidelity DAC since it's caught your eye. Use your CD6004 as the transport and flip back and forth between CD's analogue outputs and the DACs. As hifi A/B tests go, it doesn't get much easier. If you think the DAC helps a lot, then you'll know it's possible and can then start comparing various DACs - in other words, it gets you from 'whither DAC' to 'which DAC.'

A

Anonymous

Just ordered the M1 dac ,very looking forward to it to test it against cd6004 :)

:boohoo:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
SpursGator said:
On the only DVD-A disc I own, a Marvin Gaye compilation, I really felt like #1 was superior to #2. It seems clear that the Mac is not sending the full 96/24 signal to the DAC. I'm sure it's possible to tweak the Mac to fix this but I haven't bothered - easier to just flip the switch on the DAC.

For info (you may already know), if you hop into 'Applications', then 'Utilities' and 'Audio midi setup', Iyou will find a control pane that you can use to set the input and output bit and sample rates. If you set the incoming sample rate to whatever the music file is, then the output is 'bit perfect'. If you do not set the input to the file type, then the Mac will resample accordingly, if and to what extent the effect is audible would need to be tried and tested, FWIW, I don't bother mainly because my music is 16/44000. This is all rather a faff though and the system/iTunes will not do this for you on the fly, but expect that to change in the future, especially if high resolution or at least CD quality downloads become common through the iTunes store.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
I don't bother mainly because my music is 16/44000. This is all rather a faff though and the system/iTunes will not do this for you on the fly

Yeah mine is almost all 16/44 - CDs that I imported into Apple Lossless.

I thought originally that I could just leave the Mac on 96/24 and let it upsample everything - going in that direction shouldn't bother the sound. But when I do that, the audio is out of sync with the video on movies. It makes every film like watching a dubbed-from-the-Japanese episode of Ultra Man.

A

Anonymous

unpacked the M1 dac and :O

I know it has not run to show its true side but after 4 hrs of playing it destroys the cd6004...

much more musical, much more open sound, bigger stage, more detail...

(tiny bit bright sometimes, but I read it needs time...andit is not fatiguing at all..)

usb cable is a standard 1 pound one... main cord is the original, I am sure better one would do some improvement.

the digi coax is virgin too >)

now I have to find a decent BD as the transport... any suggestions welcome :)

hd sound tracks on usb sound amazing as well...

:bounce:

:dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts