Building speakers into walls / cupboards

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of building speakers into walls or cupboards?

The front pair would basically bolted to the back of the base of a Victorian cupboard. A suitable hole would be cut into the (cupboard) timber and then the grill fixed over the front of the hole to tidy it up. The Victorian cupboards are built into the walls either side of the chimney brest and therefor sturdy.

For the rears I was thinking of building them into a studwork wall with just the face of the speaker showing so again the grill fixed to tidy.

Do you think this will affect sound quality, would it cause vibration etc?

Any thoughts or experience gratefully recieved.

Kind regards,

Ben

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I suspect it'll sound bad. If you're thinking about small satellite speakers, could you not mount them on top of the units and angle the drivers down?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Bass boom; muddy midrange; dampened treble...

The above is what you'd suffer from i'd expect; the resonance would be too much as well.

You could aim for in-ceiling speakers but i'm not entirely sure what you're after TBH.

A

Anonymous

It was really the space aspect I was trying to get around as the room is not huge and will look a lot tidyer without speakers. The rears could certainly be mounted high and angled down, but it is harder with the front pair.

What makes you suspect it would be bad? I was hoping as I wasn't changing anything in terms of the box they are mounted in it would not change the sound too radically although I appreciate even with boxes, distance from walls / corners does have an affect.

The provisional design for fixing them would be against foam against the main speaker sound board and then bolted from the backs of the boxes to get a rigid fixing.

A

Anonymous

If you don't go down the 5.1 road, do the speakers have to go into the cupboards?

A

Anonymous

Well the Royds are quite large floor standers and impose on the room a bit.

I am now wondering whether I sack the 5.1 idea and just change the speakers and mount those at the top of the recesses beside the chimney brest on speaker brackets and keep my existing system.

Would even save the Victorian cupboards .... don't worry they weren't that nice, but could have been functional. I could deck them out for cd's and DVD's and keep the rest of the recesses for book shelves.

A

Anonymous

Quality advice from What HiFi Forums whatever your question :)))) I'll be giggling about that all evening. Cheers Chris.

Ben

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts