Build your own system of horror

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jjbomber

newlash09 said:
But all Cyrus gear looks like inherited stuff from a generation back.

Cyrus gear looks like a damaged shoe-box, whereas the Naim Uniti Star looks like 2 damaged shoe-boxes. Not all Cyrus gear though; the Lyric looks like a printer and is still miles ahead in the ugly stakes.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
Roksan K2 amp/CD player Simply awful looks.

Yamaha retro style amps with useless VU meters.

Hegel. Almost stylish because they have no style. It's growing on me. A little.
what ! Yamaha retro style amplifier with useless VU meters *shok*

The VU meters are very accurate in telling you what Watts you are using and how much peak there can be in some kinds of music .

And the style is very lovely thank you .

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
I don't mind the looks. Just about anything will do as long as it fits in the room and sounds good.

And worst sounding... hope no one takes it personally

One of the demos I had couple of years ago was a Marantz PM5005 & PM6005 with QAcoustics 3020 & 2020. That sounded dire to my ears.

Ooh, you b*tch Insider, how dare you diss Marantz *biggrin*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
insider9 said:
I don't mind the looks. Just about anything will do as long as it fits in the room and sounds good.

One of the demos I had couple of years ago was a Marantz PM5005 & PM6005 with QAcoustics 3020 & 2020. That sounded dire to my ears.

seems we are being ganged up on lol

insider9

DougK said:
insider9 said:

Ooh, you b*tch Insider, how dare you diss Marantz *biggrin*
Nah... I think it was more QAcoustics :) However these two Marantz amps were easily beat by my old PM65SE.

Gray

insider9 said:
DougK said:
insider9 said:

Nah... I think it was more QAcoustics :) However these two Marantz amps were easily beat by my old PM65SE.

Careful......you're almost insulting my old PM66. (It had a nice shiny copper backside)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
Sliced Bread said:
I’m gonna lose some respect for this but....

Audiolab into PMC - Worst sounding

Gold Electrocompaniet- worst looking 

Which is ironic as Electrocompaniet into PMC is my dream.  Heard it once and was head over heals in love.

Sacrifces often have to be made if you wish to achieve perfection ! *biggrin*

You would soon lean to love the face of Electrocompaniet after a few weeks of musical seduction. *man_in_love*

Merkel is clever. She probably has a few good stories to tell.

Doesn't mean I would want to wake up next to her every day.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
My very personal dislikes would be:

Chord CDP + Chord Amp + Triangle Speakers

Naim + Focal Utopia

and surprisingly, I didn't enjoy Rega Isis + Osiris + Kef Ref 205/2

I'm not surprised you didn't like the Osiris... a friend had one and even with his Harbeths it was the brightest amp I've ever heard. Always wanted to hear the valve version of the Isis CDP though.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Electro said:
Sliced Bread said:
I’m gonna lose some respect for this but....

Audiolab into PMC - Worst sounding

Gold Electrocompaniet- worst looking

Which is ironic as Electrocompaniet into PMC is my dream. Heard it once and was head over heals in love.

Sacrifces often have to be made if you wish to achieve perfection ! *biggrin*

You would soon lean to love the face of Electrocompaniet after a few weeks of musical seduction. *man_in_love*

Merkel is clever. She probably has a few good stories to tell.

Doesn't mean I would want to wake up next to her every day.

You might have a point there. *smile*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
I'm not surprised you didn't like the Osiris... a friend had one and even with his Harbeths it was the brightest amp I've ever heard. Always wanted to hear the valve version of the Isis CDP though.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Interesting.

The sound I heard was bright, cold and uninvolving.....and had me wanting to get out of the room.

If it sounded bad with Harbeths, it's no wonder it sounded as it did with 205/2s.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
1255103-mission-776-preamp-amp-777-amplifier.jpg

p_101528432.jpg

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Sacrilege ! *fool*

I owned a several of these and they are stunning in the flesh, definitely a Mission statement .

The cost of building these superb amps meant they never really made any profit on them.

The pre amp is battery powered using two lead acid batteries and a built in chaging system to charge the batteries when not in use.

The power amp is a very powerful dual mono amp with a superb Hexfet output stage and custom made 'C' core transformers is was capable very high transient power.

The ISSI in the front functions as a heatsink.

A proper photo. *smile*

mission777_zpsbc10c850.jpg

Electro said:
stereoman said:
I saw this mission setup years ago. I would love one

Sacrilege ! *fool*

I owned a several of these and they are stunning in the flesh, definitely a Mission statement .

The cost of building these superb amps meant they never really made any profit on them.

The pre amp is battery powered using two lead acid batteries and a built in chaging system to charge the batteries when not in use.

The power amp is a very powerful dual mono amp with a superb Hexfet output stage and custom made 'C' core transformers is was capable very high transient power.

The ISSI in the front functions as a heatsink.

A proper photo. *smile*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
A Chord electronics CD player in to a bottom of the range Cyrus integrated in to Monitor Audio RS1’s, all linked together with Chord Silver Anniversery cables. In a room with a marble floor playing Aqua’s “Barbie Girl”.

That is not just hifi. That is weaponised hifi.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
*shok*I can’t get that image and projected sound out of my mind. It’s keeping me awake. I now have nightmares about a transcriptor hydraulic reference coming across my bedroom floor, dragging Black Lace behind it. It’s playing Agadoo.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
jmjones said:
*shok*I can’t get that image and projected sound out of my mind. It’s keeping me awake. I now have nightmares about a transcriptor hydraulic reference coming across my bedroom floor, dragging Black Lace behind it. It’s playing Agadoo.

Good god man! Stop! I won’t sleep!

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
In contrast to this thread my first amp from the 70's was the Nad Receiver. Not only did it look good, solid and secure, the sound was warm with lovely BBC styles voices. The Friday night Rock Show with Tony Vance always warm and full, no sibilants or nasty noises; this was not a super transparent component; thank god!

jjbomber

Romulus said:
The Friday Night Rock Show with Tony Vance always warm and full, no sibilants or nasty noises;

Now we're talking. Tommy Vance. A whole generation of rock fans brought up to his music. Even today rock DJs play 2 songs back to back and talk between every other track. Live recordings from Reading festival would go on for months. Brilliant. Those were the days.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That's easy, anything with a high gloss finish.... especially if it has some chrome knobs on it. I am sure there's plenty out there (although if I listened in the dark that might be OK if it sounded good)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Most products from the 80s and 90s by NAD. Totally clashed visually with any other component the buyers might own. They also fully embraced the philosophy of 'if it ain't broke dont fix it', with their cassette decks eschewing logic controls and their tuners keeping the tuning dial + knob for about 25 years after everyone else.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Most products from the 80s and 90s by NAD. Totally clashed visually with any other component the buyers might own. They also fully embraced the philosophy of 'if it ain't broke dont fix it', with their cassette decks eschewing logic controls and their tuners keeping the tuning dial + knob for about 25 years after everyone else.

All true, didn't stop me buying their pruducts though :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts