My very personal dislikes would be:

Chord CDP + Chord Amp + Triangle Speakers

Naim + Focal Utopia

and surprisingly, I didn't enjoy Rega Isis + Osiris + Kef Ref 205/2

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Anything by Bang & Olufsen.
To me they just try too hard to be different.

I can't think of really BAD sounding seperates system, a while back I gave a colleague a system costing £30 that sounded better than most wireless speakers/sound docks, acoustic solutions amp rescued from a skip & celestion F10 speakers (£25 on Ebay) It wasn't going to win any awards but it didn't actually sound BAD

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
kubotekspeakers1.jpg

just type in ugly hifi into google, plenty of images available.

*bad*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I remember a new forum user asking for the members’ opinion about a combo he was considering. He had thought of some SET amp with single-digit power that he wanted to drive a pair of Martin Logan ESLs with. I imagine that could be a system of horror (though a rather quiet one).

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Most hipsters dont even play vinyl the put it on the wall while crying over some percieved offence that dont concern them (yeah i hate hipsters lol)

insider9

I don't mind the looks. Just about anything will do as long as it fits in the room and sounds good.

And worst sounding... hope no one takes it personally

One of the demos I had couple of years ago was a Marantz PM5005 & PM6005 with QAcoustics 3020 & 2020. That sounded dire to my ears.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Roksan K2 amp/CD player
Simply awful looks.

Yamaha retro style amps with useless VU meters.

Hegel. Almost stylish because they have no style. It's growing on me. A little.

rainsoothe

insider9 said:
I don't mind the looks. Just about anything will do as long as it fits in the room and sounds good.

And worst sounding... hope no one takes it personally

One of the demos I had couple of years ago was a Marantz PM5005 & PM6005 with QAcoustics 3020 & 2020. That sounded dire to my ears.

Marantz + q acoustics 3k series sounds dire to me as well. Another fail combo for me would be Rega Dac + Yamaha amp + Kef R 300 or wharfedale Reva.

any brand, any price, just poorly set up.

Speakers crammed in corners, or behind furniture.

Turntables precariously purched anywhere.

I’ve seen thousands of systems posted all over the tinterweb, and it’s mostly crap.

insider9

bigfish786 said:
any brand, any price, just poorly set up.

Speakers crammed in corners, or behind furniture.

Turntables precariously purched anywhere.

I’ve seen thousands of systems posted all over the tinterweb, and it’s mostly crap.

Oh yes, absolutely agree
thumbs_up.png

Sliced Bread

I’m gonna lose some respect for this but....

Audiolab into PMC - Worst sounding

Gold Electrocompaniet- worst looking

Which is ironic as Electrocompaniet into PMC is my dream. Heard it once and was head over heals in love.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:

Which is ironic as Electrocompaniet into PMC is my dream. Heard it once and was head over heals in love.

Sacrifces often have to be made if you wish to achieve perfection ! *biggrin*

You would soon lean to love the face of Electrocompaniet after a few weeks of musical seduction. *man_in_love*

Sliced Bread

Electro said:
Sliced Bread said:

You would soon lean to love the face of Electrocompaniet after a few weeks of musical seduction. *man_in_love*

Ph totally agree. Electrocompaniet and PMC. Superb!

i was going to add an Electrocompaniet amp to my setup it too long ago but can’t believe how much the prices have gone up :(

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
Electro said:
Sliced Bread said:

Ph totally agree. Electrocompaniet and PMC. Superb!

i was going to add an Electrocompaniet amp to my setup it too long ago but can’t believe how much the prices have gone up :(

Yes they have increased quite a bit over the last year or so probably due to currency fluctuations, but it's an amp for life if you want it to be so it's definitely worth the initial outlay.

Second hand is your friend, they are so reliable it's not much of a gamble unless it's over 20 years old, just keep your eyes open and a bargain often pops up. *yes3*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts