Build your own system of horror

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
My first "proper" amp was also a NAD. The 310.

Bought for next to nothing, brand new. I think it might have been £60, in 1996 or so... I still remember it very fondly. Had it in combination with a pair of JPW Mini Monitor.

The price of them now on eBay astounds!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
A Chord electronics CD player in to a bottom of the range Cyrus integrated in to Monitor Audio RS1’s, all linked together with Chord Silver Anniversery cables. In a room with a marble floor playing Aqua’s “Barbie Girl”.

That is not just hifi. That is weaponised hifi.

:)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Most products from the 80s and 90s by NAD. Totally clashed visually with any other component the buyers might own. They also fully embraced the philosophy of 'if it ain't broke dont fix it', with their cassette decks eschewing logic controls and their tuners keeping the tuning dial + knob for about 25 years after everyone else.

Have you forgotten the NAD 402 tuner? (1992 I think.)

http://www.hifi-review.com/150955-nad-402.html

... I don’t see any knob or tuning dial. All pretty solid state and digital/PLL etc. Won awards (including WHF?) at the time.

I had the ‘Rega Radio’ badged version of the same tuner for 11 fault-free years.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
IMG_0253.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site

I have certainly found that the more black boxes there are, the worse it sounds....especially if connected to top of the range Naim or Focal Speakers. *unknw*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

I have certainly found that the more black boxes there are, the worse it sounds....especially if connected to top of the range Naim or Focal Speakers. *unknw*

I have heard/owned/sold some very decent Naim setups over the years, in the early years a system built around a 12s/naps/160 driving ELS57s was one of the best things I have ever heard, nice simple 42/110 setups, outstanding for the money, then the 'olive' series and the advent of the 'all Naim' system, that's when it all turned to sh!t.

Just an opinion of course..*shok*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
I have heard/owned/sold some very decent Naim setups over the years, in the early years a system built around a 12s/naps/160 driving ELS57s was one of the best things I have ever heard, nice simple 42/110 setups, outstanding for the money, then the 'olive' series and the advent of the 'all Naim' system, that's when it all turned to sh!t.

Just an opinion of course..*shok*

As you probably remember, I owned 42/110/Snaps and really liked the synergy with LP12 / MA R852s

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts