Budget Turntable Advice.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Looking at getting back into vinyl after 20 odd years.
Thinking about this deck from Richer Sounds, Project Essential 2 which comes complete with an Ortofon OM5E cartridge. Is this ok.?

For £179 it's a bargain for a brand new turntable with cartridge. No setting up needed, but you can change the cartridge in future if you wanted to.

It has been replaced by the III version which has the better OM10 cartridge, though for £60 more that's a big extra cost. You'd think you might be able, one day, to upgrade a 5 just by changing the sylus. However, though it fits physically, and is a better spec, the 10 apparantly has better coils in the body so you won't get all the benefits.

You'll need an amplifier with a MM phono stage built in, unless you already have a separate pre-preamp.

Bottom line - a great buy!

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
For £179 it's a bargain for a brand new turntable with cartridge. No setting up needed, but you can change the cartridge in future if you wanted to.

It has been replaced by the III version which has the better OM10 cartridge, though for £60 more that's a big extra cost. You'd think you might be able, one day, to upgrade a 5 just by changing the sylus. However, though it fits physically, and is a better spec, the 10 apparantly has better coils in the body so you won't get all the benefits.

You'll need an amplifier with a MM phono stage built in, unless you already have a separate pre-preamp.

Bottom line - a great buy!

I am thinking this paired with a Pioneer A10 and the Mordent Short M20 0r Q Acoustics 2020i?

You'd struggle to get better for that budget. Do go to listen at your Richer store though. Based on reputation I'd prefer the QA but they've plenty of choice and do check the dimensions fit your space, as the QA are deeper than they are tall - slightly unusual. The amp has a phono stage, so that is good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts