Budget Speakers for spare room]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
member: 16010"]
My speakers are rated at 85db (often sensitivity is alot lower than rated), my amp delivers 90 watt peak in 8 ohm and 120 watt in 4 ohm, im actually fine with the power my amps has (my speakers might be closer to 6 ohm than 8 ohm).

Nad c320bee is measured to 2x110-115 watt in 8 ohm and 2x 180 watt peak in 4 ohm,despite that i would still go for the speaktor 2 over spektor 1, beacuse of the difference of the warmth,bass,fullness, spektor 1 is just a lillte thin sounding and would be best as rear surround speakers (they are very small as is the zensor pico that could be an alternative to the spektor 1 when looking for small compact speakers, with a thin sound you might need to use tonecontrols, personally i prefere a full bodied,warm sound without having to use tone controls)
[/QUOTE]

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fan of tone controls, but I'm trying to balance size/looks/sound quality to keep me and my wife happy.
Seeing and hearing the speakers will help with that, until my missus says, I don't like the colour or size of THEM!!!
The sound quality does not come into it with her😁🙄

scene

I have a pair of 3030i and they sound great - punch well above their cost. I've got mine paired with a venerable Arcam A85 in my office, and they're fantastic. Only down side: would not put them in a large room - but given it's for an 11x8 ft room, no problems there.

If the price is good, I'd heartily recommend them :)

See some of my comments of them here on the forums, or read someone else's view (who probably knows what they're talking about...) here

Reactions: jonboywalton75

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a pair of 3030i and they sound great - punch well above their cost. I've got mine paired with a venerable Arcam A85 in my office, and they're fantastic. Only down side: would not put them in a large room - but given it's for an 11x8 ft room, no problems there.

See some of my comments of them here on the forums, or read someone else's view (who probably knows what they're talking about...) here
Cheers for that👍👍

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

£150.00 open box, gloss white 😁

scene

That's a good video review - nice to see someone do a full head-to-head on a range... And yes, he's probably right, if you've got the space (and a big enough room) the q3030i is the best... Though - I've got a small room and all hard surfaces (wood and glass) and too much bass booms, so the 3020i is perfect for me. And £150 for a pair is a great price :)

gasolin

i once had the q acoustics 3020 (non i) and it didn't have to much bass, the 3020i might be a little better but not much

The 3030i are not bass heavy and comes with 2 x Foam Bungs for the bass ports

3030i-Spinorama.png

Reactions: shadders

scene

Nope, if you have the right speakers whatever their position, you don't need bungs.
Speakers will only work well if optimally placed, bungs whether provider or not, are best avoided.
If you need them get a sealed-box speaker.
Thinking about it, yes you're right. And I avoid bungs. I prefer front ported or sealed speakers, they're usually easier to place. Having said that my q3020i are rear ported and seem remarkable unfazed by being on a bookshelf pretty close to the back wall and side one...

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Off to my local hi fi dealer next week to demo Dali Spektor 1 + 2, + monitor audio bronze 50
Richer sounds were helpful but didn't have many speakers in stock to demo
Be interesting to see what i prefer, it's donkies years since i walked into a proper demo room.

manicm

Bungs should be used as a last resort. E.g. B&W routinely recommend 50cm from a rear wall, I safely had my 685s about 25-30cm and they were fine.

I tried the bungs, and frankly they suck the life out of the music.

Reactions: Gray

scene

Off to my local hi fi dealer next week to demo Dali Spektor 1 + 2, + monitor audio bronze 50
Richer sounds were helpful but didn't have many speakers in stock to demo
Be interesting to see what i prefer, it's donkies years since i walked into a proper demo room.
Can't beat a demo :)

I take it you've given up on the q3020i? (Which is what I've got, BTW - just noted that I was suffering from fat fingers in my earlier post, when I said I had q3030i - sigh.)

Let us know how it goes?

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to demo at Richer sounds in Chester but not a lot of alternatives to listen to.
The looks and depth of the q acoustics 3020 weren't going to keep the wife happy 😱
Doug Brady's in Warrington have those 3, I mentioned so I'll give them a go, nothing set in stone yet though

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Saw these in Curry's, perfect condition Dali Spektor 2
£49.99
Thought, gotta buy, em
Guess what????
My missus thinks they LOOK awful

FOR £49.99!!!!!
I'm giving up

Attachments

• IMG_20201023_155546.jpg
    IMG_20201023_155546.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 12

matthewpiano

Saw these in Curry's, perfect condition Dali Spektor 2
£49.99
Thought, gotta buy, em
Guess what????
My missus thinks they LOOK awful

FOR £49.99!!!!!
I'm giving up

What's the colour scheme in the spare room?

I've got Spektor 2s in our bedroom, but I chose the white finish. I never thought I'd buy white speakers, but they blend perfectly into the surrounding furniture, and that finish was my own choice for that very reason. I quite like speakers to blend in visually as it enhances the feeling that the sound isn't simply coming from two boxes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts