budget separates vs arcam solo mini

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
i currently have a fairly old denon pma 250se amp which is powering a pair of diamond 9.1 speakers. i generally use airtunes to play music from my mac. due to space contstraints i'm considering getting an arcam solo mini (or maybe the marantz equivalent). will either of these compete with a budget separates system?

any thoughts would be much appreciated!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You should seriously consider getting a Marantz M-CR603. ( + AirPlay for an extra £39)

I say this as someone who owned an Arcam Solo Mini a few years ago (and even used the same type of speakers with it that I am using again now with my M-CR603).

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
As a M-CR603 owner of a month now, I couldn't be happier with it.

Amp, CD player, DAC, Internet Radio, FM/DAB tuner all for £450 or less. A fantastic performer for the money.

No idea how it compares with the Arcam, I've never heard the Arcam.

A

Anonymous

I've gone from (seperates that were part of my 2nd system): NAD C355BEE integrated amp, Arcam CD72 CDP, Monitor Audio RX2 speakers to the Marantz CR603 and it's been a superb move

One reason is that I wanted to reduce box count; the other reason was space (I want more back) and I've got it.

Having demo'd the Marantz with the Arcam Solo Mini and the Arcam Solo; for the price and IMO it's unbeatable

The wifi/airplay options are brilliant; the sound quality is superb with bags of punchy, deep and well timbed bass, smooth/detailed midrange and superb highs

IMO you'd have to spend close to £1k on an amp and CDP to get a good a sound quality as the Marantz offers and then obviously you'd have to fork out for speakers then too...

TBH the CD player on my Marantz has hardly been used; it's all internet radio and iTunes/iTunes radio via AirPlay
smiley-cool.gif

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Wow, that's a pretty resounding recommendation for the Marantz then! I'd certainly use iTunes and the DAB radio more than I would the CD player Also, I already have an Airport Express, I presume I can use that instead of the AirPlay option?

Thanks for the advice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts