Opinions Please!

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Currently considering purchasing either a Denon PMA 2500NE integrated amplifer with Matching 2500 CD player or an Arcam A49 with an existing CD17 player. Speakers would be an existing pair of kef Ref1.1 (late 1990's) with QED XTube 400 speaker cable and a VDH Orchid interconnect between the CD Player and Amplifier). Any thoughts or experiences with either combo would be appreciated. I do know that the Denon combination looks lovely and that the Japanese products generally give more value for money so to speak but I am wondering about the Arcam A49 as an alternative option. Its all about the sound quality that Im after. Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Selby, you've asked for opinions, so here is mine.

I can't comment on he Denon, but I'm a big fan of the A49. I own a MF AMS35i pure Class A amp, which is the best amp that I've heard under £10k....the A49 is one of a handful of amps that I felt gave it a run for its money, and if I needed more power, is the one I'd go for. It has IMO, more than a hint of that elusive Class A sound.

It is certainly powerful enough to drive your old Refs and also sounds sublime with the current Refs, with a Linn DS as a source.

FWIW. I'm not a fan of silver plated s/c, so would prefer something that's all copper, like Atlas or Linn K20....but in the context of the Arcam/Older Refs, it may work fine, though I'd rather have some TQ Black.

I think, down the road, I'd be looking at a better source (like Linn DS)

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

I can't comment on he Denon, but I'm a big fan of the A49. I own a MF AMS35i pure Class A amp, which is the best amp that I've heard under £10k....the A49 is one of a handful of amps that I felt gave it a run for its money, and if I needed more power, is the one I'd go for. It has IMO, more than a hint of that elusive Class A sound.

It is certainly powerful enough to drive your old Refs and also sounds sublime with the current Refs, with a Linn DS as a source.

FWIW. I'm not a fan of silver plated s/c, so would prefer something that's all copper, like Atlas or Linn K20....but in the context of the Arcam/Older Refs, it may work fine, though I'd rather have some TQ Black.

I also cannot comment on the Denon, but I do own a A49 and it is an excellent amp.

I want to add the current Ref 1 speakers but this will have to wait and currently have LS50's, which do work very well with the Arcam.

I would urge you to demo the A49 if possible.

PS the Linn DS is an excellent source as well.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Q5 said:
CnoEvil said:

I also cannot comment on the Denon, but I do own a A49 and it is an excellent amp.

I want to add the current Ref 1 speakers but this will have to wait and currently have LS50's, which do work very well with the Arcam.

There is nothing like ambushing the OP with a tactical pincer movement...I see you even have TQ speaker cable. *wink*

rainsoothe

CnoEvil said:
Q5 said:
CnoEvil said:

There is nothing like ambushing the OP with a tactical pincer movement...I see you even have TQ speaker cable. *wink*

lol. +1 for Arcam, they can surely play music.

matthewpiano

I can't comment on those specific models, but I'm very familiar with amps by both brands. I would urge you to find an opportunity to audition them, so that you can make your own decision. You are into big money territory here, and a personal audition is essential to getting it right.

I'm a big fan of Denon amplification. I've had PMA-720ae and PM-1500ae, and I enjoyed the music more with both of these than with most other amps I've had. They don't have the 'Britfi' snoot factor, but they are beautifully built, and make music which is really what it is all about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts