Budget - mid range speaker demo feedback

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Finally got round to demo-ing speakers. The guys in the shop tried to replicate the fairly forward presentation of my system at home with a rather chunky retro-looking Yamaha amp (nice!) and Marantz 6003 CDP.

First up was Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. Adequate I guess at their price point, but not hugely impressive in my opinion - seemed to be straining slightly, and maybe even a tad 'muddy' underneath the detail. I don't think they sounded much better than my own existing MS902i's. However, the point of listening to the Wharfedales was to set a benchmark against which to gauge the more costly items to follow...

So next was the first genuine contender, Kef IQ30. A step up from the Wharfedales but, at twice the price, that's hardly surprising. No signs of straining here - quite a 'beefy' sound, but giving the impression they had plenty in reserve. However, they somehow failed to get the blood racing - for some reason, they didn't quite inspire.

Third up was Epos M5i. Fantastic clarity, particularly with acoustic, but they did seem a touch lean. However, when moved back towards the wall (maybe 10" out), the sound was more coherent with that extra touch of bass providing a more rounded outcome. All in all, I quite liked these once the positioning was fine tuned.

And finally, the Acoustic Energy Radiance 1. These weren't lacking in detail either, but were also very fluent and musical, with a beautiful natural tone. I almost immediately stopped looking for flaws and just enjoyed the music. Genuinely, I could just have listened to these all day long and they're certainly my pick of the bunch so far.

What did it prove - not sure actually. I guess to achieve an unequivocal improvement I'm going to have to shell out £500 or £600, unless I go 2nd hand or ex-dem (which I might still do). Maybe I'm getting old and sensible, but I'm not sure that kind of cash is justified to improve the output of a system with which I appear to be (as of today) newly contented...thanks in part to new Odyssey speaker cable!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The only problem with this is that the Yamaha amplifier is quite a different sound to your Cyrus, so it sort of renders the demo (with regards to amp/speaker relationship) null and void. How well the amp and speaker works together is extremely important, and wherever possible you should always demo your prospective speakers with your amplifier, or at least with an amplifier that you will end up with in the future. Although at least you now have a rough idea of the differences between the speakers you have tried.

Now go demo with the Cyrus!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:The only problem with this is that the Yamaha amplifier is quite a different sound to your Cyrus, so it sort of renders the demo (with regards to amp/speaker relationship) null and void...although at least you now have a rough idea of the differences between the speakers you have tried. Now go demo with the Cyrus!
emotion-1.gif

Thanks David. I couldn't haul the Cyrus amp down on the train and only had the guy's word for it that the Yamaha and Cyrus were an inherently similar sound. If not, then fair enough - he gave it a shot and was really helpful and genuine on the day, so I wouldn't fault him for a minute. I'll bear in mind what you say though, and definitely make a point of taking the Cyrus if I ever get beyond a shortlist. However, I'm now in no rush, as the exercise proved the point that there's no mileage in attempting a marginal upgrade - it has to be (within my limited parameters) all or nothing. Still nice to hear a range of different kit though and give the ears some exercise!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts