Budget(ish) CD Player for a vinyl lover

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know this is a CD player query, but I'm essentially a vinyl person and am looking for the views of vinyl folks.

Despite the fact that the majority of my music is on vinyl, I still have a fair few CDs but don't really listen to them much now as my turntables (Systemdek/Project) seem to sound so much better. So whilst its only ever going to be a secondary source I'm thinking of upgrading my old Arcam Alpha 7 for perhaps a Rega Apollo or a Creek Evolution 2 (ie something around about the £400-500 mark) - and get my CDs back on the playlist.

I'm thinking these two because I've seen them referred A) good & B) closer to an analogue sound - I'm not necessarily that hung up on the 'analogue sound' thing - I'm just thinking that I like vinyl so avoid anything too clinical. (Which was why I went for the Arcam Alpha in the first place, it just seems a bit lacking in detail now).

Any views recommendations greatly appreciated

Thanks

Simon

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Simon, good question, if you can pick one up within budget (or close) the Exposure 2010S2 CD player is quite analog in its sound. The NAD C565 is worth a look too and has a very smooth sound. Best of luck in your research (and listening ideally!)

Likearollincheese:

I know this is a CD player query, but I'm essentially a vinyl person and am looking for the views of vinyl folks.

Despite the fact that the majority of my music is on vinyl, I still have a fair few CDs but don't really listen to them much now as my turntables (Systemdek/Project) seem to sound so much better. So whilst its only ever going to be a secondary source I'm thinking of upgrading my old Arcam Alpha 7 for perhaps a Rega Apollo or a Creek Evolution 2 (ie something around about the £400-500 mark) - and get my CDs back on the playlist.

I'm thinking these two because I've seen them referred A) good & B) closer to an analogue sound - I'm not necessarily that hung up on the 'analogue sound' thing - I'm just thinking that I like vinyl so avoid anything too clinical. (Which was why I went for the Arcam Alpha in the first place, it just seems a bit lacking in detail now).

Any views recommendations greatly appreciated

Thanks

Simon

Which amp do you currently have?

A

Anonymous

Audiolab 8000Q & P - which I really like - but suspect the combination could be a bit bright with the wrong CD player

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Simon. Just play your ceedees in the car, job done and best place for them
emotion-5.gif

Likearollincheese:Audiolab 8000Q & P - which I really like - but suspect the combination could be a bit bright with the wrong CD player

It's unlikely the Exposure mentioned will be available for your budget. if you can stretch that far then yes, excellent. Otherwise, if you like the Arcam sound, look at the CD192, which can be picked up for about £350.

A

Anonymous

The Exposures are good CDP's. I had a 2010 before the Roksan. To be honest I prefer the Roksan sound, but it might just have been the Exposure didn't partner all that well with the rest of my system. The Roksan is much more detailed, it also seems to have a lot more weight in the bass and better controlled.

All that said, do try the Exposure out if you can, it may well be what you are looking for and may work better with your system than it did with mine. :)

A

Anonymous

Floyd - like your 'outside the box' suggestion - but unfortunately if i was to buy a £400 CD player it would most likely exceed the value of my current hot rod - said vehicle has one of those new fangled cassette players, but no CD player - I've got loads of great lps at home though, to give you some indication of my priorities . . . .

Cheers

Simon

A

Anonymous

Thanks folks - lots of recommendations for the Exposure 2010S2 - but I hadn't really intended spending that much (or I'd probably be wondering about Roksan too) - just wondering if the 2010S2 version is significantly better than the 2010S1 because I've spotted a couple of those a bit cheaper?

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Simon ,

Have you got an Ipod ? I play mine through the cassette player in my truck with a cheapo insert bought for me by my son .Obviously it is not HiFi quality but at least I can now listen to the 5000+ tracks I've got on it when on the move .

Can't help you with your CD player question as I'm still using my 20 year old Marantz CD53 and will not be changing it in the near future . A new turntable and phono stage are next on the list .

Nick

Likearollincheese:

Thanks folks - lots of recommendations for the Exposure 2010S2 - but I hadn't really intended spending that much (or I'd probably be wondering about Roksan too) - just wondering if the 2010S2 version is significantly better than the 2010S1 because I've spotted a couple of those a bit cheaper?

I had the Exposure 2010S (or MKI version) for two days (long story, very boring), and it's still one of my favourite sub-£1,000 CDPs, although, TBVH, I haven't heard too many CDPs over recent years. The new S2 should be better but can't say for sure.

A

Anonymous

I personally wouldn't spend as much as £500 - try and listen to one of the mid range Marantz players (such as the CD6003), you can pick these up now for <£300 . Ensure that you've got decent interconnects and you should have something that is punchy, detailed and isn't too harsh. I personally have never rated the Arcam CD players, I always thought them dull and too middle of the road - they were lacking in detail when they were new .

regards

Linn

Revolver with A&R P77, Linn Pretek, 2 x Powerteks, Meridian 200 Transport, Meridian 203DAC, Linn Kan II's

T

the record spot

If you can find an SA7001-KI from Marantz kicking around (they come up occasionally, sometimes ex-dem) then you won't go wrong. No harshness, lovely tonal quality...only caveat is it's not the bassiest, so a tad lean. Forewarned is forearmed though and if you have an amp or speakers that already deliver well in that area, you'll have few issues. Utterly superb disc-spinner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts