Budget HiFi System

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I can probably guess this question will have been asked many times, but it is a minefield out there. So here goes.

For a budget of around £450 and will be used mainly for Vinyl, what would you good people recommend.

(PS, returning to HiFi after nearly thirty years and making a big mistake of selling off my Vinyl Collection, mainly The Beatles, Pink Floyd etc)

Thanks in advance.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
tele1962 said:
I can probably guess this question will have been asked many times, but it is a minefield out there. So here goes. 

For a budget of around £450 and will be used mainly for Vinyl, what would you good people recommend.

(PS, returning to HiFi after nearly thirty years and making a big mistake of selling off my Vinyl Collection, mainly The Beatles, Pink Floyd etc)

Thanks in advance.
I'd might go for a set of Roth audio va4 and a project primary. That leaves about 70 for a nice set speaker stands

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The first question is why vinyl? i only ask because it's way more expensive than any other source if you want to do it properly. And to be brutally honest, unless you're going second hand and you know what you're doing, you'll struggle at that budget.

On the other hand, you'd get a cracking cd based system for that kind of money if you shop cleverly. Others will be able to give better advice than me, so I'll just stick to the standard "listen to as many components as you can"!

Good luck! Sorry I wasn't more help....

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
The first question is why vinyl? i only ask because it's way more expensive than any other source if you want to do it properly. And to be brutally honest, unless you're going second hand and you know what you're doing, you'll struggle at that budget.

On the other hand, you'd get a cracking cd based system for that kind of money if you shop cleverly. Others will be able to give better advice than me, so I'll just stick to the standard "listen to as many components as you can"!

Good luck! Sorry I wasn't more help....

It's probably a lot to do with The Beatles albums i loved so much getting a new lease of life, also the beutiful warm sound of vinyl for me is just superb.

I was thinking this set up:

Pro-ject Essential 2 turntable

Mission LX2 loudspeaker

Cambridge Topaz AM5[/b]

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi again. Project basic turntables are pretty good value for money - I had a debut phono before my Rega.

That tunrtable doesn't have a built in phono stage, and neither does the amp as far as I can tell, so you'll need to budget for one of those, or perhaps look at a different amp that has one included.

The other important thing at that price will be to get the cartridge right. A post in the turntable section will be a good place to start - they are a very knowledgeable bunch on there. My favoured first upgrade cart is the Ortofon 2M Red. At around £80-90 I reckon it's a belter, but others will certainly disagree!!!

If you can manage to add a decent aftermarket cartiridge it'll give you a huge upgrade in sound performance.

matthewpiano

I would advocate second hand for this budget, and there's plenty of options out there.

A nicely cared for Dual CS505 or CS503-2 will do a great job as a turntable (and better than a basic Pro-ject). Pioneer PL12D and Sansui SR222 are also plentiful at very affordable prices and, with an AT95E cartridge on, will do a great job.

For the amplifier, a nice Sansui AU217 if you are happy to go vintage, or something along the lines of a Rotel RA01/RA04 will make a great choice.

For speakers, JPW Sonata, Mordaunt-Short MS20i, Celestion 3... There's loads of good options out there.

That should give you a great set-up and leave some budget for hunting down some nice second hand vinyl to play on it. It's absolutely what I'd do.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I would advocate second hand for this budget, and there's plenty of options out there.

A nicely cared for Dual CS505 or CS503-2 will do a great job as a turntable (and better than a basic Pro-ject).  Pioneer PL12D and Sansui SR222 are also plentiful at very affordable prices and, with an AT95E cartridge on, will do a great job.

For the amplifier, a nice Sansui AU217 if you are happy to go vintage, or something along the lines of a Rotel RA01/RA04 will make a great choice.

For speakers, JPW Sonata, Mordaunt-Short MS20i, Celestion 3...  There's loads of good options out there.

That should give you a great set-up and leave some budget for hunting down some nice second hand vinyl to play on it.  It's absolutely what I'd do.

Thanks for the advice. Apart from the likes of EBAY are there any sites for purchasing used hifi equipment. I remember Richer Sounds did this years ago.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Looks like i am defo going down the used route at least for part of my system. Members on other forums seem all to agree this is the way forward.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Entry level Project or Rega turntable with same Marantz PM5004/5 amp (with built in phono stage) along with Q Acoustics 2010 or 2020 speakers will sound very nice indeed all of which are available online new or second hand via ebay. Pick up some second hand stands - Atacama are good - and you are on your way and within budget or there or thereabouts. Other good kit available on a budget which sounds nice from Nad, Yamaha, Pioneer, Monitor Audio and Dali.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
tele1962 said:
Looks like i am defo going down the used route at least for part of my system. Members on other forums seem all to agree this is the way forward.
That is a very sensible decision. I prefer German ebay to UK ebay. I also like taking touring holidays on continental Europe, which helps when it comes to collecting kit.

If you can do some basic DIY repairs, such as replacing foam surrounds on speaker bass drivers, you'll be able to get so much more for your money.

For TT's I'd go for a direct drive such as a Micro Seiki DD 1 or Sony PS-X6 instead of a boring belt drive.

Check out the Lampizator pages for some interesting reading. Some of the CD players that he rates highly can be bought for £20. You might as well add one to your system, especiallly with used CD's being so cheap now.

For amps, I'd just go for the cheapest integrated or pre-power I could find that had an MC phono stage - which would probably be a Japanese integrated solid state from the likes of Sony, Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood.

Speakers. Maybe something small and under £100. Like 1980's to 1990's Heybrook, Missions, Royds.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
tele1962 said:
That is a very sensible decision. I prefer German ebay to UK ebay. I also like taking touring holidays on continental Europe, which helps when it comes to collecting kit.

If you can do some basic DIY repairs, such as replacing foam surrounds on speaker bass drivers, you'll be able to get so much more for your money.

For TT's I'd go for a direct drive such as a Micro Seiki DD 1 or Sony PS-X6 instead of a boring belt drive.

Check out the Lampizator pages for some interesting reading. Some of the CD players that he rates highly can be bought for £20. You might as well add one to your system, especiallly with used CD's being so cheap now.

For amps, I'd just go for the cheapest integrated or pre-power I could find that had an MC phono stage - which would probably be a Japanese integrated solid state from the likes of Sony, Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood.

Speakers. Maybe something small and under £100. Like 1980's to 1990's Heybrook, Missions, Royds.

Thanks mate, i might have the chance of some equipment soon Marantz PM6003 & Kef Q100's for starters (this is just a maybe).

Can you link me to the Lampizator artical please.

tele1962 said:
lindsayt said:
tele1962 said:

Thanks mate, i might have the chance of some equipment soon Marantz PM6003 & Kef Q100's for starters (this is just a maybe).

Can you link me to the Lampizator artical please.
http://lampizator.eu/Fikus/WELCOME_TO_LAMPIZATOR.html then look through the archived blog

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/goodplayers.html

The players at number 3 on his list with the TDA1549 DAC can be had for about £20. That's a good price performance compromise.

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/Philips%20CD751/Philips_tda1549.html

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Deposit payed and system will be.................drum roll

Project P2 with Ortofon Cartridge

Marantz CD6003

Marantz PM6003 Amp

KEF Q100's Speakers.

All purchased from Hifisound Ltd in Stockton On Tees, the best Hifi shop i think i have ever been in all my life, with staff that went above and beyond to help out.

Demoed these all today with an expert friend of mine and were blown away by what we were hearing, threw everything at it and it just got better and better. The soundtrak from The Last Samurai, Black Hawk Down, Abbey Road The Beatles, some Bjork, Mike Oldfield and more that i can't remember as it was just one fantastic thing after another.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts