Budget CD Players - Which can I trust to be reliable?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure that the CA or Marantz are a good match with Exposure 1010 amp . if he can't make a demo I think it's better to match its "brother" the 1010 CD , the extra cost isn't much .

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
I am not sure that the CA or Marantz are a good match with Exposure 1010 amp . if he can't make a demo I think it's better to match its "brother" the 1010 CD , the extra cost isn't much .

In Holland the Exposure 1010 CD player costs 700 euros..............the Marantz CD6005 costs 450 euros......a fairly big difference.

I would go for the CD6005.............Marantz has excellent sounding cd players.

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd go for the 1010 CD. It is better than the Marantz and the CA. Not leaps and bounds, but certainly faster and more musical.

Kinda funny how people cling on to the belief that Marantz have always made/make amazing CDPs. None of their machines are bad but they certainly are not ground breaking. But that's the power of great PR/marketing. Heck stick a KI badge on it, and all of a sudden it's earth shattering.

As has already been pointed out, really great quality laser mechs are rare nowadays and one of the few ways of getting performance/reliability is to either ensure that the working environment for the mech is overly sympathetic or modify them to suit. (which cost's far too much given the lack of demand in the sub £1000 market)

On a related issue, a friend of mine has a Exposure 3010S2 CD, which had a noisy (sony) mech. Literally placing .5mm washer under one of the mounts for the mech cured it. A very silky sounding machine, not quite my cup of tea, but still tight and detailed regardless of the smoothed tonal balance.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
AlbaBrown said:
Kinda funny how people cling on to the belief that Marantz have always made/make amazing CDPs. None of their machines are bad but they certainly are not ground breaking. But that's the power of great PR/marketing. Heck stick a KI badge on it, and all of a sudden it's earth shattering.

Why do they have to be ground breaking ? I had three Marantz cd players in the past and they were reliable and sounded very good.

There are better cd players but there wll always be something better no matter what you buy.

You're KI badge comment is just nonsense IMO, sorry.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
AlbaBrown said:
I'd go for the 1010 CD. It is better than the Marantz and the CA. Not leaps and bounds, but certainly faster and more musical.

As has already been pointed out, really great quality laser mechs are rare nowadays and one of the few ways of getting performance/reliability is to either ensure that the working environment for the mech is overly sympathetic or modify them to suit. (which cost's far too much given the lack of demand in the sub £1000 market)

On a related issue, a friend of mine has a Exposure 3010S2 CD, which had a noisy (sony) mech. Literally placing .5mm washer under one of the mounts for the mech cured it. A very silky sounding machine, not quite my cup of tea, but still tight and detailed regardless of the smoothed tonal balance.

A "faster" CD player! That sounds useful.
smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

matthewpiano

AlbaBrown said:

Because they do? Marantz have consistently topped the affordable CD player market for years and years and, in my experience, it is because they are reliable, sound superb and work with minimum fuss. They are also well built and nice to use.

As for the last bit, I'm not dissing Exposure - I like their amps very much - but if I had spent over £1k on a CD player and it had a noisy mech it would be going straight back and I'd keep sending them back until I got a quiet one.

TrevC

ISAC69 said:

[/quote

Any CD player will match any amp. Perfectly. I may be lucky, but I've never had a CD player failure.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
marantz make very good cd players for the money, I believe when phillips were pioneering cd they were both part of the same company if I am not mistaken, infact many phillips cd players had the marantz badge on them, they know a thing or two about the format

i'm going to throw a bit of a curve ball here and recommend trying a Rega CD player. these can be sourced for budget money, but are far from budget sounding. if i had known how good they were, and how good value for money they are, i would have bought one years ago.

JohnNB

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I had to replace a Cyrus cd player which was very fussy about the cds it would play. I spent the same amount of money on a Marantz cd6003 and a Arcam rDac. The Marantz is amazing. It plays anything you throw at it and, played through the Arcam, sounds as good as the Cyrus. So yes, it's reliable and sounds great.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
JohnNB said:
I had to replace a Cyrus cd player which was very fussy about the cds it would play. I spent the same amount of money on a Marantz cd6003 and a Arcam rDac. The Marantz is amazing. It plays anything you throw at it and, played through the Arcam, sounds as good as the Cyrus. So yes, it's reliable and sounds great.

The difference between the Exposure CDP to the Marantz is only about 100 pounds . Go for the Exposure !

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Some guy on here was singing the praises of Leema Acoustics Antila, Antila II or Antila IIS Eco a few days ago. Reckoned they were the last word in reliability..... :oops:

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all for the helpful recommendations and advice.

In the end I got a good deal on the Marantz CD6005 with an extended warranty and free Chord Crimson interconnet for £140 pounds cheaper than the Exposure. It arrived yesterday and, although it's very early days, it's clearly a very well-built player, reassuringly hefty. All my discs, old and new alike, are being played flawlessly, including CDRs, and the player is astonishingly silent when in use. Very happy with the soundstage and detail thus far.

Highly recommended!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thropplenoggin said:

In the end I got a good deal on the Marantz CD6005 with an extended warranty and free Chord Crimson interconnet for £140 pounds cheaper than the Exposure. It arrived yesterday and, although it's very early days, it's clearly a very well-built player, reassuringly hefty. All my discs, old and new alike, are being played flawlessly, including CDRs, and the player is astonishingly silent when in use. Very happy with the soundstage and detail thus far.

Highly recommended!

Great! I used to have the CD6004 and thought that was very good too. The 6005 should give you years of pleasure.

Chris

matthewpiano

Thropplenoggin said:

Highly recommended!

:cheers: Enjoy your music!

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Thropplenoggin said:

Highly recommended!

how are your AE floorstanders sounding now with the new cd ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts