Budget Buyer Advice

linkgoron

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I need some advice for a stereo amplifier and speakers. Basically, I moved from my previous apartment and had to leave behind my amplifier and speakers. I've got a chromecast audio and a Schiit Modi 2 uber that are (were) connected by toslink, and I usually stream music using Plex/Tidal etc. Therefore, the DAC and connectivity are not really important for me in an amplifier, all I care about is the sound quality. I've seen this thread which is kind of similar to my requirments, however that specific user got more money and decided on higher-tier equipment which sadly is not an option for me.

If it matters, I usually listen to progressive (Porcupine tree, Steven Wilson, Tool, Soen etc.), a bit of metal (only older Opeth basically), some older grunge music (Soundgarden, AIC etc) other older stuff (Dire Straits), and you could probably find me listening a bit of instrumental music (Andy Timmons). This isn't a very exhaustive list, but hopefully it gives some kind of picture of what I listen to if that's important.

Sadly, where I live things cost quite a bit more, and there isn't a huge selection of amplifiers. Just to give you guys an idea how much things costs around here, the Cambridge Audio CXA60 costs around 1350$. The Marantz PM6006 is 980$. I assume that with some haggling I could get my equipment for around 250$-350$ less. For example, I was offered the Monitor Audio Bronze 2+PM5005 for ~1300$ instead of their ~1665$ "list" price (separately, they cost 715$ USD and 950$ respectively) with almost minimal haggling.

I'll obviously go and test things myself, but I want to get a picture of what I want to ask for. Basically, looking through the lists on this site what I see usually recommended is the Marantz PM6006/5, I haven't seen many reviews for the PM5005 here but I assume that it's also a a decept option as I already have a DAC. I've also seen the Nad D 3020 recommended, but for some reason I have a feeling that the Marantz is a better solution for sound quality alone, as I don't really need the connectivity side. I've seen some other companies like Rega and Rotel, but they usually cost too much (or are recommended less than the above).

For speakers, it looks like the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and Dali Zensor 3 are the two obvious candidates and cost about the same.

So - is there anything else that's newer or just something that I missed that I should listen to? Am I missing something and is there a different/better way to setup my stuff?

Thanks!

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
For your budget and music tastes the D3020 and Zensor 3 are a great combo. I found them to be a great pairing for rock/metal. Many dealers ship worldwide too so don't be restricted by local pricing.

insider9

linkgoron said:
Hi,

I need some advice for a stereo amplifier and speakers. Basically, I moved from my previous apartment and had to leave behind my amplifier and speakers. I've got a chromecast audio and a Schiit Modi 2 uber that are (were) connected by toslink, and I usually stream music using Plex/Tidal etc. Therefore, the DAC and connectivity are not really important for me in an amplifier, all I care about is the sound quality. I've seen this thread which is kind of similar to my requirments, however that specific user got more money and decided on higher-tier equipment which sadly is not an option for me.

If it matters, I usually listen to progressive (Porcupine tree, Steven Wilson, Tool, Soen etc.), a bit of metal (only older Opeth basically), some older grunge music (Soundgarden, AIC etc) other older stuff (Dire Straits), and you could probably find me listening a bit of instrumental music (Andy Timmons). This isn't a very exhaustive list, but hopefully it gives some kind of picture of what I listen to if that's important.

Sadly, where I live things cost quite a bit more, and there isn't a huge selection of amplifiers. Just to give you guys an idea how much things costs around here, the Cambridge Audio CXA60 costs around 1350$. The Marantz PM6006 is 980$. I assume that with some haggling I could get my equipment for around 250$-350$ less. For example, I was offered the Monitor Audio Bronze 2+PM5005 for ~1300$ instead of their ~1665$ "list" price (separately, they cost 715$ USD and 950$ respectively) with almost minimal haggling.

I'll obviously go and test things myself, but I want to get a picture of what I want to ask for. Basically, looking through the lists on this site what I see usually recommended is the Marantz PM6006/5, I haven't seen many reviews for the PM5005 here but I assume that it's also a a decept option as I already have a DAC. I've also seen the Nad D 3020 recommended, but for some reason I have a feeling that the Marantz is a better solution for sound quality alone, as I don't really need the connectivity side. I've seen some other companies like Rega and Rotel, but they usually cost too much (or are recommended less than the above).

For speakers, it looks like the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and Dali Zensor 3 are the two obvious candidates and cost about the same.

So - is there anything else that's newer or just something that I missed that I should listen to? Am I missing something and is there a different/better way to setup my stuff?

Thanks!
Well it seems we have a similar taste in music though recently my taste has mellowed so more Melody Gardot and less AIC.

I could probably start off by saying that in my opinion Monitor Audio Bronze 2 will not be very good for the music you like, especially not when compared to Dali Zensor 3.

Dalis will be much more suited due to more rhythmic presentation better mid range and most importantly here more bass (which for me is severely lacking in Bronze 2)

Could you imagine listening to Tool without bass? Or Soundgarden/AIC with guitars not sounding right?

I must mention here that I do own MA BX5 so it's not a dislike on my part just an observation.

Amp wise Onkyo A9010 is a lovely amp and for me sounded better than Marantz with Zensors.

Good luck with whatever you chose and make sure you demo preferably at home. If that's not possible take your dac with you.

matthewpiano

If you want a bit more weight to the sound, then the Onkyo A9010/Dali Zensor 3 pairing would do a great job. For more accurate sound (ie. no false/boomy bass or overhang), swap the Zensor 3s for MA Bronze 2 or Wharfedale Diamond 220. I'm not saying the Zensor 3s are bad speakers, and they may suit your listening the best, but for me I find they need extremely careful siting to avoid excessive blurring and congestion in the bass.

An audition would be the best idea.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I found Zensor 3's needed power to get the best out of them (Arcam A85 was a nice match) Not good at all to my ears when paired with the D3020, very muddy and unfocused (as Matthewpiano mentions). D3020 sound great with Monitor Audio speakers, the warm punchy sound of the amp is perfect for the brighter MA signature sonics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts