Budget automatic turntables

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I want to buy an automatic turntable for a spare room that will be used as a games room/leisure room.

I don't want to go down the secondhand route and I don't need to digitalise my vinyl so USBs etc arn't required,just a plain old auto turntable.

I've looked at a few but the one that catches my eye is the Pioneer PL-30 automatic turntable.All the reviews that I've seen are favourable and it's seems solidly built.

I've always had secondhand Technics decks and I use a SL-1200mk2 for my listening pleasure but I want something that a youngster can be left in charge of so it has to be automatic,(and guaranteed).

Any thoughts or experiences of this Pioneer turntable would be appreciated.

Thanks

iMark

pegleg1945 said:
Hi,

I've looked at a few but the one that catches my eye is the Pioneer PL-30 automatic turntable.All the reviews that I've seen are favourable and it's seems solidly built.

It looks like a very decent piece of kit and gets good reviews. Since there aren't many fully automatic turntables being produced anymore, your options are rather limited. I get a feeling that Pioneer may have spotted a gap in the market: a very decent turntable with a proper cartridge, bulit-in phono stage and with very easy operation. Not everyone who likes to play records prefers fully manual operation.

Very similar to what we could have bought 30 years ago from a brand like Dual (except back then every amp had a phono stage). I still have a Dual CS-1249 in storage (in need of service and a small repair) that belonged to my mum, bought in 1978. She loved it because it was fully automatic and it sounded very nice.

jjbomber

pegleg1945 said:

I had a Pioneer PL400 fully automatic turntable years ago. Absolutely bomb proof and great sounding. The pruists wull argus that they could hear the hum of the motor but I never could. So the Pioneer would be my weapon of choice.

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank for taking the trouble to reply,I feel confident that Pioneer would only introduce something that they thought was good enough to keep their name as a quality HiFi producer.

I think that this turntable will do nicely thank you.

iMark

pegleg1945 said:
Thank for taking the trouble to reply,I feel confident that Pioneer would only introduce something that they thought was good enough to keep their name as a quality HiFi producer.

I think that this turntable will do nicely thank you.

I have just found this review of the Pioneer PL-30.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/pioneer-pl-30-k-automatic-single-play-turntable-0#JS4fSDIBZxQASJav.97

One major flaw in this player: the tracking force of the installed cartridge: 3.5 g. That's outrageously high and will wear out your records. You can change the stylus though for one with a normal tracking force.

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I noticed that too,some reviewers who seem to know what they're doing say that they will change the cartridge for a Audio Technica which tracks at 1.5 -2.00 gms,doesn't have bad reviews either.

Should I end up buying this turntable then I will most probably do the same thing,some of my vinyl is in excess of 45 years old and I would like to keep it for a little bit longer.

Thanks for pointing this out.

iMark

pegleg1945 said:
Should I end up buying this turntable then I will most probably do the same thing,some of my vinyl is in excess of 45 years old and I would like to keep it for a little bit longer.

You're welcome. I was just thinking that some of the vinyl I own (and play!) was bought my parents around 1960. They certainly didn't own a hifi graded record player back then. So I wonder how bad the wear actually is with a tracking weight of 3.5g. :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iMark said:
pegleg1945 said:

You're welcome. I was just thinking that some of the vinyl I own (and play!) was bought my parents around 1960. They certainly didn't own a hifi graded record player back then. So I wonder how bad the wear actually is with a tracking weight of 3.5g. :)

Whilst not exactly feathery, wrongly adjusted tracking force (to light or heavy) will most probably damage your records more. Get a cheap digital gauge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts