Budget audiophile grade equipments

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was interested in knowing who are popular manufacturers making audiophile grade equipments at budget prices?

My preference is an integrated system, but I would be open to separates. Please also indicate the budget for each combination.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I think you have to define more the word budget as people have different interpretations of what budget is for example my budget hifi is someone else's totally obscense,I would go separates everytime,there are some smashing little class T amps out there that can be the heart of your system,some £150-200 speakers and a budget CD player,will sound better than 90% of midi systems or whatever they are called.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the post. You know what, the honest answer is, I don't know. I am not out shopping yet. I am just trying to figure out how much do I need to plan for. I am asking for opinions only because even the prices that people mention here, I have to pay twice over or more of that converted into local currency. So, if you see, I am just trying to see how things might work out.

Okay, to give you an idea, my primary music system currently is a Sony CD player + a Harman Kardon amp and such like. And I will be interested in a setup that is significantly better than my current setup. Since I am not in a hurry to upgrade, I am trying to learn from experiences of good folks out here.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well, you don't say which Sony CD player and HK amp you currently have, but you could put together a very decent budget separates hi-fi system for around £500. Cambridge Audio has a new budget CD player, the £150 Azur 340C, that we've just tested in the Awards issue of WHF?SV (on sale this Thursday).

You could partner that with, say, Rotel's RA-04 stereo amp (£250) and Tannoy Mercury F1 speakers (£110) for a complete set-up costing £510. Would that fit your budget?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]Well, you don't say which Sony CD player
and HK amp you currently have[/quote]
Sorry about the incompleteness. CDP-XE370 and HK AVR-240. I must add am looking for a major upgrade.

[quote user="Andy Clough"]

Cambridge Audio has a
new budget CD player, the £150 Azur 340C, that we've just tested in the
Awards issue of WHF?SV (on sale this Thursday).

You could
partner that with, say, Rotel's RA-04 stereo amp (£250) and Tannoy
Mercury F1 speakers (£110) for a complete set-up costing £510. Would
that fit your budget?[/quote]

Sounds interesting. It is well within my budget. I heard CA Azur a few months ago. Can't recall exact model name but must be something similar. The sound was bright and much in face. But the actual reason could have been the amp (Azur again) and stupid Wharfedales. I should look again may be, more carefully this time.

I have a question about Rotels. How big an improvement Rotel RA-05/06 will bring over 04? 30 watts per channel is the only difference, or there could be other technical differences as well?

Also, will it make a difference? RA-06 Vs RB-06 + RC-06?

Thanks for your valuable opinion.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello,i like threads like these,some good comments i think are coming up.rotel are a no thrills audio company who have based there designs on a tried and trusted formula for many years.rega are another company whose componenets divide opinion but when they get it right it's very good,arcam also make some nice gear but can sound a bit safe and not forgetting nad. probably did more than any other company to put budget audiophlia on the map.of course some budget gear will be exactly what it is,budget. spend £3 / 400.00 per component and you have a system that will last many years before the upgrade bug bites but from my own opinion the fun in hifi is getting that budget classic and building from there.someone i hope will come along and offer up some more makes to chew the fat over.personally i liked the older cambridge gear before the azur range,good as it is i still prefer the older stuff.all the best,gregory.

A

Anonymous

Hi ranjeetrain, I would like to just add on to gregory's advice that there are some serious bargains to be had second hand. I just got a Rotel RA-1062 second hand for £300, RRP is £595 and it is in absolutely immaculate condition. I personally feel that paying an extra £50 over the Rotel RA-04 (£250) and receiving a second hand, but far superior amp was the best thing to do, my point being your money will go alot further if you consider second hand.

A

Anonymous

The Harmon Kardon you have is a AV amplifier,and it sounds as flat as a pancake.I would take Rotel over the Cambridge myself,I think the 04 can punch well above it weight,in fact the better the speakers,the better it sound,when I first heard one it was with some B&W 601S3 and thought it was thin and bright,I then heard it with some Revolvers and it started to shine.

Im not a Sony fan either hehehe,so would try to get a Rotel Cd player to match,or a suggested the Cambridge,you should find a much better musical performance just by changing you amp.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="joeparnell"]my point being your money will go alot further if you consider second hand. [/quote][quote user="joeparnell"]

Hi ranjeetrain, I would like to just add on to gregory's advice that there are some serious bargains to be had second hand. I just got a Rotel RA-1062 second hand for £300, RRP is £595 and it is in absolutely immaculate condition. I personally feel that paying an extra £50 over the Rotel RA-04 (£250) and receiving a second hand, but far superior amp was the best thing to do, my point being your money will go alot further if you consider second hand.

[/quote] Hi Gents,

Can you offer up any where to buy 2nd hand options?? Is eBay the obvious place?

Regards

Danny

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Upgrade one element at a time starting with the new NAD 315BEE amp (£180), then some AVI Neutron IV speakers 2nd hand off eBay (£250), and then a good source, 2nd hand Arcam CD92 off eBay (£250-£300). Get some speaker stands and some QED cable and you'll be a very happy chappy.

Alternatively get yourself a mini/midi/micro system and forever regret it!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]hello,i like threads like these,some good comments i think are coming up.rotel are a no thrills audio company who have based there designs on a tried and trusted formula for many years.rega are another company whose componenets divide opinion but when they get it right it's very good,arcam also make some nice gear but can sound a bit safe and not forgetting nad. probably did more than any other company to put budget audiophlia on the map.of course some budget gear will be exactly what it is,budget. spend £3 / 400.00 per component and you have a system that will last many years before the upgrade bug bites but from my own opinion the fun in hifi is getting that budget classic and building from there.someone i hope will come along and offer up some more makes to chew the fat over.personally i liked the older cambridge gear before the azur range,good as it is i still prefer the older stuff.all the best,gregory.[/quote]

Thanks Gregory. The thread is helping me get some good advices, including yours. Not all the names you mention are available in my market. But I get the idea.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="joeparnell"]

[/quote]

I will certainly like to do that if possible.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="silly"]The Harmon Kardon you have is a AV amplifier,and it sounds as flat as a pancake.I would take Rotel over the Cambridge myself,I think the 04 can punch well above it weight,in fact the better the speakers,the better it sound,when I first heard one it was with some B&W 601S3 and thought it was thin and bright,I then heard it with some Revolvers and it started to shine.

Im not a Sony fan either hehehe,so would try to get a Rotel Cd player to match,or a suggested the Cambridge,you should find a much better musical performance just by changing you amp.[/quote]

Yes agree with that, I am not using the DACs in the CDP anyways. So changing the amp should be my first priority. What speakers would you say go well with Rotel RA-06? I am also looking forward to know if anyone has done an A/B test on RA-06 Vs RB-06 + RC06. Or if someone has a link to any reviews like that.

A

Anonymous

One of my favorite sounding budget class speakers are the Revolvers,not the prettiest,but a mighty fine sound,none of the popular mainstream speakers particularly appeal to me a great deal,it may be worth trying the B&W new 600series,or some Spendor,Dynaudio for example may work aswell.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="silly"]One of my favorite sounding budget class speakers are the Revolvers,not the prettiest,but a mighty fine sound,none of the popular mainstream speakers particularly appeal to me a great deal,it may be worth trying the B&W new 600series,or some Spendor,Dynaudio for example may work aswell.[/quote]

Out of the names mentioned above I could only find B&W and Dynaudio in my market. Additionally, I found Dali, Martin Logan, Thiel, Wilson Audio etc. I still have to check prices of others but B&W DM 603S3 is £925 and DM 604S3 £1325 (shipping/handling extra). Does that sound too much to pay for it?

A

Anonymous

Is that pounds sterling?! That's certainly alot more than we pay here....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Saund77"]Can you offer up any where to buy 2nd hand options?? Is eBay the obvious place?[/quote]

I just bought my second hand amp from a guy advertising on http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com

but ebay obviously has alot of sellers offering a broad variety of products, just make sure they're offering plenty of photos, and if you pick up, ask for them to demonstrate it working...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts