Budget amplifier to couple B&W 683 S2 speakers?

afiltros

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey there!

I think that finally the B&W 683 S2 meet my taste for speakers...However i am a bit confused about the amplifier to couple them...

I am thinking about the Marantz PM 6005 but could it be weak to support them (the PM 6005 offers 2X45 Watt power output @ 8 Ohm) ?

Do i really need a more powerfull amplifier to drive the B&W's ?

Any suggestions ?

Thank you all!

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
afiltros said:
Hey there!

I think that finally the B&W 683 S2 meet my taste for speakers...However i am a bit confused about the amplifier to couple them...

I am thinking about the Marantz PM 6005 but could it be weak to support them (the PM 6005 offers 2X45 Watt power output @ 8 Ohm) ?

Do i really need a more powerfull amplifier to drive the B&W's ?

Any suggestions ?

Thank you all!

Be aware that the B&W 683 S2 are very hard speakers to move and need plenty of power to get the full potential

of them . If you don't have the budget for proper amplification don't buy them at all .the Roksan Kandy K2 is absolutely

the minimun in terms of power .

dangerouspartridge

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
The Roksan K2 BT is slightly more powerful than the standard version.
I agree though, don't buy speakers if you can't afford a decent amp to drive them.
Ebay may be your best bet. There are some cracking deals to be had at the moment.

rainsoothe

I've auditioned the XTZ A100D3 (instead of D2) with some older B&W speakers and it's a friggin' gem imo. Also auditioned a Roksan Kandy K2, and, for my ears, the XTZ is in a completely different league. If you don't mind it's size, generated heat and lack of headphone socket, it really should be on your main list. It also has an integrated dac i think.

Also on your list should defo be the aforementioned Roksan, and also Rotel RA1570 and Exposure3010S2. But seriously, give the XTZ an audition (you can buy from website and audition for 2 or 3 weeks before returning for full refund if there's no dealer).

afiltros

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for being late answering to your usefull sugestions...Thank you all for that.

As it seems, there is no way to keep the budget low buying these speakers...

I could find the Rotel RA-1570 for 1270€ (2X120W @ 8Ω)...any experience with it ?

Roksan Kandy K2 BT seems interesting but is hard to find in my area...

rainsoothe

Well I do like the Rotel sound, as I used to own a Rotel RA 1520, but no experience with the newer range. But it's usually a safe bet - partnering Rotel amps with B&W speakers, since, as you might now, they're the same company.

Try not to ignore the XTZ tho, it's seriously a beast. And cheaper. (i'm only pressing about it because I regreted not geting one a while ago and going with a Rotel instead - which i liked a lot, but didn't compare with the XTZ :) )

afiltros

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The truth is that the XTZ is way cheaper than his competitors and it would be interesting to have an audition...however it really looks ugly...but, this is how beasts look, don't they ? :p

Anyone else having auditioned the XTZ A100 D3 ?

afiltros said:
The truth is that the XTZ is way cheaper than his competitors and it would be interesting to have an audition...however it really looks ugly...but, this is how beasts look, don't they ? :p

Anyone else having auditioned the XTZ A100 D3 ?

XTZ products are generally highly rated. Excellent Swedish kit for the money (especially the speakers), however trying to audition their kit is nigh on impossible as they don't seem to have any number of dealers and rely mainly on direct sales. It is highly unlikely many on the forum have, therefore, auditioned the A100.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
afiltros said:
Sorry for being late answering to your usefull sugestions...Thank you all for that.

As it seems, there is no way to keep the budget low buying these speakers...

I could find the Rotel RA-1570 for 1270€ (2X120W @ 8Ω)...any experience with it ?

Roksan Kandy K2 BT seems interesting but is hard to find in my area...

I am telling you again the 683 are very hard speakers to move and needs lots of power ,there is no budget amp for this speakers (unless you'll find a serious second hand amp) . Rotel and B&W is a good match in general , but to move such kind of speakers you need Rotel RB 1582 power amp for example ( also need a pre to go with it ! ) are you willing to pay this price for amplification ???

If not go for more moderate speakers such as the B&W 684 it will be a great match with the Rotel RA-1570 you suggested .

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ISAC69 said:

Unless you have physically tried this I would be inclined to disagree.

I have some experience of the smaller Decco amplifiers and it is one of those strange (in a good way) amplifiers that seems confident and capable way beyond what you would expect given the spec and price.

Without sounding overtly powerful the Decco seemed at ease even at quite substantial volumes in a fair size room, if the bigger model improves on this it will be very capable indeed. If it is available to you give it a try, going on my experiences of the Decco, it is rather different from the usual suspects already mentioned, personally I found the differences entirely positive.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
dap33 said:
what about its bigger brother the nova 220se?

I have experience of the Decco only. Sounded like a somewhat less extreme version (more 'neutral' maybe) of the Croft integrated.

Very capable, easy to live with without sounding overtly muscular, given it's combination of functionality and performance I am struggling to think of better for the money.

Of course I have not tried it with any B&Ws so have no idea of the 'match', I heard it with there own speakers but it sounds rather good on my Superlux headphones too.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why not choose some different speakers as they seem to be such a problem, im sure there are are better speakers that can be used with less powerful amp to achieve a better sound for less expense, surely thats what it is all about? Set a budget and then get the best combination for you.

afiltros

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Why not choose some different speakers as they seem to be such a problem, im sure there are are better speakers that can be used with less powerful amp to achieve a better sound for less expense, surely thats what it is all about? Set a budget and then get the best combination for you.

You said it right...the guys here have a point!

Firstly, i found an offer for a combo of second hand RC 1070 and an RB 1080 for 700€ and started breathing again :p

Now i found an offer for a set of new Focal 826 V at 1335€ and things started to become interesting...much easier speakers to drive and some say better speakers than the B&W's.

Tomorrow i am going for an audition and if i am lucky i could also find an offer for an amp as well.

afiltros

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The amplification that i chose was finaly an Onix A65 dual mono which is more than adequate for the Focal 826V

The A65 is actually a 2X65 W amp but with the current capacity of a 2X130 W amp.

It seems that Amperres matter more than Watts in amplification ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts