BT Infinity

SteveR750

Have signed up for Infnity for my new house in a couple of weeks time. Having some issues with my current ISP that might mean I have to postpone it, but is it as good as the TV hype? "Up to" 40Gb d/load and 10 upload is not to be sneezed at for £18 a month. I was assured that if I only got less then 30 then that wold constuitute good reason to complain and be compensated in some way. There is a catch somewhere......

SteveR750

:rofl:

Yep, see what you mean, and I havent even read the links yet; er none in the first category, and a full page 1 for the second! but that's maybe to be expected - people rarely let off steam when they get what they expect, only when they don't.

Bear in mind I'm currently with supash**e

John Duncan

Yeah I actually found more for the first than the second, though apocryphally I have heard that there are problems with speeds being nearer 30 than 40 and bandwidth throttling being judicious, so the numbers quoted were...generous...and that 'BT Having An Upper Bound < ∞' was perhaps more accurate. However, for 18 quid a month I'd be reasonably happy with 30meg tbh...

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I was lucky enough to be living in Cardiff when they announced we were getting the trial exchanges. Unfortunately I was in the proces of trying to move house so couldnt sign up which I was itching to do since the broadband connection I had was utter rubbish. It didnt matter which provider I was with, it was slow and unreliable as hell. I never did get to the bottom of what the problem was but I always suspected some dodgy wiring since my neighbours were generally happy with their connections. |(

So feb last year I finally moved house and thankfully infinity was available so I made sure I got it. Considering how bad things were with my previous connection, just a stable connection would have been an improvement. :pray:

Well it's our first anniversary in the house tomorrow (15th) and the only time I've called BT about it was when a large portion of the country got affected by an outage in October.

I genuinely could not be happier with my connection! :rockout: :dance:

One thing I will point out which will have a big impact on the speed's you experience is your wireless connection. My main PC sits in the room next to where the router is (upstairs) so I typically get around 30-32meg. The computers downstairs struggle to make it double digits so unless your computer is connected via wire, or sitting in the same room as the router your going to struggle to get high numbers.

Another thing I have definately noticed in the last 12months is the general speed of my downloads is a little lower than when I first had it installed. I can only put this down to contention at the exhange which doesnt suprise me with the amount of advertising BT has been pushing out.

So if you signup for infinity expecting the greastest thing since sliced bread then prepare to be disappointed but if, like me, you didnt have a particularly good connection to begin with it should be a revelation.

A

Anonymous

I've been very happy with my infinity connection but I think it comes down to where you live and what other services are available.

There is no cable in my area and normal broadband gives about a 2 meg download, with infinity it is currently at 24-25 meg a huge boost over standard. But if cable was available ( faster ) or even if my standard broadband was slightly more respectical ( cheaper ) I wouldn't have bothered.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm now on Inifinity, and haven't had any issues. Been with BT now for many years, and although it's probably not been the cheapest option, it's been very reliable - I think over a period of 7-8 years, the service has only been down once, which was about 2-3 days, and that was about 5 years ago.

A

Anonymous

My broadband has never ever dropped below 36MB or 6MB upload (no other company offers that much on upload, not even Plusnet who use BT infrastructure unless by request I understand) in the 6 months I have had it. :dance: My Wifi has never dropped below 15MB! The top package is great if you consider you get 24/7 free phone calls also, including calls to 0845 or 0870 which most companies use and are charged at higher rates. You also get free access to 1000s of wifi points across the UK. On the customer service alone it is worth going with BT - the tech service is 24 hours a day and free to ring. When I have had a few issues with wifi, the tech support always rings back at the time they say and the call is never closed until resolved. Do note that during the spring BT is also starting the roll out of increasing Infinity customers to 80MB with the potential to go higher in the future.

While I am on it is also worth mentioning the all important after sales - I can confirm that having had Virgin, BT infinity is far superior and consistent in terms of speed and customer service. A few years ago Virgin were excellent but something serious has happened in how they deal with after sales: Virgin's PR is great and their broadband deals are good, but once you get installed and deal with customer service all I can say is the company has gone from excellent to terrible. :boohoo: I have never been with a company who never respond to my issues, complaints or service issues even after many phone calls - in short I had to leave them, as any thing I logged was never dealt with even after escalating to customer service. I asked them to remove me from their mailing list, but 6 months on no joy!! :twisted:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts