BT Buys ESPN UK Channels

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Figured you'd have posted about this by now!

No mention of whether ESPN will continue on Sky's platform, I was considering cancelling anyway, perhaps I won't get much choice in the matter...

daveh75

I imagine they will still be available, along with the BT Sports channels launching on Sky and Virgin.

The money they've spent acquiring a sports rights portfolio they can't afford not to be, given that BT Vision and YV combined only has around 1.25million subscribers compared to Sky and VMs 15+ million.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
I imagine they will still be available, along with the BT Sports channels launching on Sky and Virgin.

Ah ok, I wasn't aware that was happening.

The money they've spent acquiring a sports rights portfolio they can't afford not to be, given that BT Vision and YV combined only has around 1.25million subscribers compared to Sky and VMs 15+ million.

Yes, that thought had crossed my mind but I thought BT were looking to pull customers away from Sky, interesting...

daveh75

The_Lhc said:
Ah ok, I wasn't aware that was happening.

They bought the Sky EPG slots last novemberish in preperation for the launch, and are currently operating Sailing 1 and 2 as placeholders

Yes, that thought had crossed my mind but I thought BT were looking to pull customers away from Sky, interesting...

BTv is a dead loss IMO (as is YV to an extent), i can see BT scrapping it at some point and just being a broadcaster/content provider rather than platform provider

daveh75

The BT/ESPN deal is due to be finalised in July IIRC.

Just guessing but I imagine BT will be looking to package BT Sport and ESPN and/or may handle subscriptions themselves rather than leaving it to Sky.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
The BT/ESPN deal is due to be finalised in July IIRC. Just guessing but I imagine BT will be looking to package BT Sport and ESPN and/or may handle subscriptions themselves rather than leaving it to Sky.

Like Setanta used to I guess? I wonder if Sky will be passing on customer details for BT to contact? Probably not. I can't tell if I'm bothered or not, the only thing I used to watch on ESPN is baseball and I don't get the opportunity to do that anymore really. The very occasional Premier League game probably isn't worth it, although saying that I can envisage all of West Ham's games ending up on BT if I don't renew!

I might use the money for another multi-room instead...

daveh75

The_Lhc said:
daveh75 said:
The BT/ESPN deal is due to be finalised in July IIRC. Just guessing but I imagine BT will be looking to package BT Sport and ESPN and/or may handle subscriptions themselves rather than leaving it to Sky.

Like Setanta used to I guess? I wonder if Sky will be passing on customer details for BT to contact? Probably not. I can't tell if I'm bothered or not, the only thing I used to watch on ESPN is baseball and I don't get the opportunity to do that anymore really. The very occasional Premier League game probably isn't worth it, although saying that I can envisage all of West Ham's games ending up on BT if I don't renew!

I might use the money for another multi-room instead...

Its difficult to know what either will be/are doing when they're constantly at battle and trying to poach subscribers.

Interesting take on the Guardian website
http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/media-blog/2013/apr/21/bt-bsky-sports-rights-broadband.

daveh75

Just found this http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43821/~/where-will-bt-sport-be-available%3F

Which confirms BT will collect the subs like Setanta used to rather than have Sky involved.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts