Bryston 4B SST Power amp

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
There is a Bryston 4B SST power amp 2nd hand available .........

As i would be buying without hearing one, would it fit into my current system of Audiolab CBQ 8200CD and using its pre amp section and the Bryston will be powering my ATC 11 speakers.

At the moment I am using a valve Int amp by Icon audio stereo 40, but although I love the current sound of my system it does lack a bit of extra power when playing older CD's [Need to increase the DB's volume control of the Audiolab quite a bit to get a reasonable sound out of the Icon] - the Icon does cope very well with modern CD's powering the 11's.

How would the Bryston sound in my system comparing it to my Icon?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll certainly get more power and grip from the Bryston, but based on what you're used to, I'm not sure you'll enjoy the sound. The 4B is pretty neutral, so you'll lose the warmth/character that you've been used to. Worth a try used though as you should be able to move it on for what you paid for it, as long as that isn't too excessive.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It would sound quite different. The Bryston is very clean, neutral and controlled....you might just lose the emotional connection with the music that you have at the moment.

Systems that you like the sound of can be elusive, so don't fall prey to HiFis biggest trap - "Green Field Syndrome", which is brought on by curiosity.

Things would be different if you could try before buying.

If you like how your system sounds now, you should (imo) be saving for Icon Audio Monoblocks.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The Bryston is a fantastic amp it does exactly what it says on the tin, no more no less .

It's a very powerful neutral amp that only amplifies what is sent to it, I really like the Bryston but I have only heard it with PMC speakers, I could live with one if I did not have my Electro's *smile* .

If it is being sold at a good price try it and if it is not to your taste you will easily be able to sell it on as the demand for second hand Bryston amps is high .

I would expect it to sound quite different to the Icon but you never know you might like it . *good*

Electro said:
The Bryston is a fantastic amp it does exactly what it says on the tin, no more no less .

It's a very powerful neutral amp that only amplifies what is sent to it, I really like the Bryston but I have only heard it with PMC speakers, I could live with one if I did not have my Electro's *smile* .

If it is being sold at a good price try it and if it is not to your taste you will easily be able to sell it on as the demand for second hand Bryston amps is high .

I would expect it to sound quite different to the Icon but you never know you might like it . *good*

+1 for everything Electro has said. That amp will certainly control your speakers better and you may grow to like the result.

It is unlikely you would lose much if you sold it on if you didn't like it ( get it for the right price and you might even make a profit :) )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts