Broken my Mission 773e speakers, how easy is it to replace drive units?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
One of my mission 773e speakers short circuited this morning, literally with sparks coming from it! The tweeters seems to be working fine but I'm getting no sound from the 2 base units. I've checked on ebay and I can buy 2 replacement drive units for about £75. How easy are they to fit? Do I just need to remove the old ones (looks like they are held in with allen key screws) and slot in new ones and screw back in? Is any soldering needed? any advice is gratefully appreciated.

T

the record spot

Save yourself the hassle, spend an extra £25 and get a pair of 752s. Better speaker, better sound and plenty out there.

A

Anonymous

Must admit, I was thinking about just replacing them but can't really justify spending too much. About 20 years ago, I had a pair of Mission 780SE which I loved so am guessing that 751's (which I see you have) and 752 will have similar traits.

T

the record spot

Hi Adam, yes, the 751 and 752 are very fine speakers. I should point out, having had some weeks use of the 751 Freedom speakers, that the original 751 is my preference. The Freedom version is exteremely good, don't get me wrong, but if you enjoy rock music, you might be a little disappointed if you don't want your music a little on the smoother side with the treble a little rounded off.

It's extremely well balanced, imaging is stunningly good, clarity for movies is excellent. I am more impressed with the 751 Freedom for classical orchestral/symphonic, acoustic, spoken, vocal or movies than I am with rock. The original 751 is - IMO - accomplished across the board. Either will set you back around £100, the 752 sometimes goes up to £150. Very often this is near mint, which, for speakers that cost around £300/500 (751/752 respectively), is a bargain. For either, you'll struggle to beat their performance at the kind of money you'd spend on a pair. The 752, well, I think you'd be looking from £750-£1000 to improve on.

Apologies - I sing the praises of the Mission 75 series on here all the time, but given the likely spend on a pair, I thought this might be a worthwhile consideration given the cost of the replacement drivers!

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It is possible (likely !!!!!!) that a fault in your power amp may have caused this.

If a large DC voltage appears at the speaker terminal it WILL destroy speakers in the manner you seem to have experienced.

A basic check is just to measure across the speaker terminals of the amp with a voltmeter and NO speakers connected. It should read ZERO volts. That won't help if there is an imtermitent fault but it is something that should be checked.

A

Anonymous

I think you're right. The amp stopped working and has a 'PSU fault' message on the display. I've already agreed with Cyrus that they're going to repair the amp for free as it's the 3rd time it's stopped working in a year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts