Broken Cyrus Amp

liverpooljim

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Evening, I'm a newbie to forums but my set up is rather long in the tooth! It consists of a Mission Cyrus 1 mk2 amp, Linn Basik turntable with Linn Akito arm and Goldring 1012 cartridge, Musical Fidelity MC1 Speakers and a Aura (B&W) CD100 CD player all bought in or around 1992. They have all served me faithfully over the years: being lugged around to college, back home, to London then back north but unfortunately time and carelessnesss have taken their toll.

I need a new stylus for the cartridge, a new hinge for the lid of the Basik (and maybe a complete service as the 45rpm pully shift doesn't behave), the left speaker output on the Cyrus isn't strong and the on/off switch is temperamental, and I think a new laser (or service) is required for the Aura CD Player.

The questions are: do I get the Basik serviced (along with a new stylus), get the Cyrus serviced and get the Aura fixed? Or do I get a new amp - if so which one - as, although I love the detail of the Cyrus I now need some warmth and base (severly lacking for those who know these amps)? Is it worth biting the financial bullet and buying a Linn Sondeck and transfering the Akito and Goldring 1012 over to it? Is it the speakers (again detailed but lacking in warmth)? Do I get a second hand amp? I love the Aura though.

Ahhhhh! I realise that there are lot of options but ideas/experience is very welcome from all. About £500 to spend if we keep the Linn Basik - more if not!

liverpooljim said:
Evening, I'm a newbie to forums but my set up is rather long in the tooth! It consists of a Mission Cyrus 1 mk2 amp, Linn Basik turntable with Linn Akito arm and Goldring 1012 cartridge, Musical Fidelity MC1 Speakers and a Aura (B&W) CD100 CD player all bought in or around 1992. They have all served me faithfully over the years: being lugged around to college, back home, to London then back north but unfortunately time and carelessnesss have taken their toll.

I need a new stylus for the cartridge, a new hinge for the lid of the Basik (and maybe a complete service as the 45rpm pully shift doesn't behave), the left speaker output on the Cyrus isn't strong and the on/off switch is temperamental, and I think a new laser (or service) is required for the Aura CD Player.

The questions are: do I get the Basik serviced (along with a new stylus), get the Cyrus serviced and get the Aura fixed? Or do I get a new amp - if so which one - as, although I love the detail of the Cyrus I now need some warmth and base (severly lacking for those who know these amps)? Is it worth biting the financial bullet and buying a Linn Sondeck and transfering the Akito and Goldring 1012 over to it? Is it the speakers (again detailed but lacking in warmth)? Do I get a second hand amp? I love the Aura though.

Ahhhhh! I realise that there are lot of options but ideas/experience is very welcome from all. About £500 to spend if we keep the Linn Basik - more if not!
Welcome to the forum.

The Linn I'm sure can be fixed. Dealers aren't plentiful but they are mostly very good and there's a ready supply of bits. Buying a Sondek would cost thousands.

The cyrus might be worth fixing if you can get a quote. I've seen a few folks advertising repairs but can't name any. I'm less sure about the CD player. You could get new Marantz 6005 amp and cd - not the latest 6006 - for your budget. Then only the Linn to fix.

Lots more permutations so suggest you get to a local store with your speakers to hear how they perform with something newer. You might find just fixing what you have is best for you, but I can't help but feel most of it isn't worth the expense. I remember the speakers were very good, designed by Martin Colloms, with blue lettering?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Amplifier Repair Services (aka ARS) likely would be able to repair your old Cyrus, but probably at a greater cost than you would spend buying another example of the same model. They're not scarce, so even though they still have a small following they're not stupidly expensive because there's so many still around. That said, if repaired by ARS it would at least come with a guarantee. However if you're wanting a change of presentation I see no point throwing money in your Cyrus 1's direction (or at another Cyrus 1 for that matter) and instead I would advise spending your money on something different which gives you the warmer presentation you're looking for.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't quite understand your budget statement.

Getting a Sondek will cost and leave nothing for cd player or amp?

What exactly is your budget and what sources exactly do you need?

drummerman said:
I don't quite understand your budget statement.

Getting a Sondek will cost and leave nothing for cd player or amp?

What exactly is your budget and what sources exactly do you need?

Indeed, its a bit confusing.

There is one heck of an unnecessary leap from servicing a turntable and buying a new Sondek. Why you would require a Sondek anyway I cannot work out, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. A new stylus is going to be necessary whichever way you go and this is going to set him back about £150. (Cheaper to buy a whole new cartridge in my opinion).

If the OP only has a £500 budget that's not going to leave much for a new amp (assuming you consider the Cyrus service to be too expensive to warrant keeping it).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
While I still think you should change your amp if you're looking for a fundamentally different character of sound, I realise I'd failed to specifically comment on this:

liverpooljim said:
I now need some warmth and base (severly lacking [in the Cyrus 1] for those who know these amps)

I've been living with Cyrus 1s and 2s on and off for 30 years with various other amps inbetween, and all I've ever found them to be is completely flat and 'honest' across the audio spectrum. So much so that until a few years ago when I went active, I used a late-issue Cyrus 1 in my home studio because the neutrality helped me to create better mixes. But that neutrality is a shock to many, and it doesn't suit gutless speakers with no bass, which unfortunately I think describes your MF MC1s to a tee.

liverpooljim

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi nopiano,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think the Sondek was rather optimistic!!! So perhaps putting the CD player to one side for the near future and concentrating on the Basik turntable might be the best option as I am enjoying reintroducing myself to my record collection. The speakers are indeed the ones with the blue lettering and have stood up to the test of time the best over the years. After looking further into Cyrus servicing, it does get rather more expensive the more 'bits' need replacing and in the end will cost me more than the amp did originaly. The Maranzt was one that had caught my eye so I think taking a trip to my local hi-fi dealer (Preston) with kit in tow as advised.

liverpooljim

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi Drummerman,

Many thanks for replying and apologies for causing confusion - I had just returned from spending half an hour on the Linn website and was still delirious! My cunning Plan C was to take off my Akito arm and Goldring cartridge from the Basik, get a new stylus for the Goldring, forget about the CD player and hope that the Cyrus would last out a little longer. I was never very good at maths.

So, back down to Earth, and with Plan A more refined, I think this is the more sensible route: new stylus for Goldring (£85), forget about the CD player for the moment, don't service the Basik then spend the remaining £400 - £450 on an amp.

Plan B was to service everything but it looks like it could be a waste of money in the long term.

liverpooljim

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi Al Ears,

I must admit I think I got caught up in the Linn-moment! It's starting to look like a new amp rather than a service and put the CD player on hold for the near future. I will however take the opportunity to try out other turntable/cartridge options. A new stylus for the Goldring 1012 is around £85 so many thanks for that idea.

liverpooljim

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi Al Ears,

Just seen your further comment on the Cyrus/MC 1 matching so appreciate the more detail. I agree - back in the mists of time when I tried out the amp and speakers it was a difficult decision to make I seem to remember. The detail and accuracy of the Cyrus is fantastic and the MC1s did reveal it and, at the time I did much prefer this. The other speakers I tried against it (can't remember which ones) seemed woolly in comparison, although they did give more bass.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
liverpooljim said:
The detail and accuracy of the Cyrus is fantastic and the MC1s did reveal it and, at the time I did much prefer this. The other speakers I tried against it (can't remember which ones) seemed woolly in comparison, although they did give more bass.

Don't worry I've been there, I imagine so have a fair few of us. That's why short-term auditions in a shop can sometimes lead to buying the wrong product, even though I'm not disputing they're great and I would never advocate buying blind (or should that be 'deaf'). 'Amazingly open and transparent' gives way to 'shrill and unlistenable' on all but the right materal. Conversely systems with too much bass can also sound mighty impressive at first but soon become tiring. Though to be fair, the number of people who've joined here in the last year to complain about too much bass can be counted on about one finger. Most people complain about the lack of it. Nothing beats using a shop-audition to narrow your choices down to a couple of pairs and begging the dealer to let you try them at home on say a 48 hour loan for a small deposit.

Though the bigger picture is you sound like you need to get your ducks in a row regarding what needs to be replaced. I think we can start off by getting shot of the Cyrus, maybe ebay it as spares or repairs, because it's uneconomical to repair if deep down you're looking for a different sound. Fixing it won't make you fall in love with it again with your speakers, they're just not a great match.

liverpooljim said:
Hi Al Ears,

Just seen your further comment on the Cyrus/MC 1 matching so appreciate the more detail. I agree - back in the mists of time when I tried out the amp and speakers it was a difficult decision to make I seem to remember. The detail and accuracy of the Cyrus is fantastic and the MC1s did reveal it and, at the time I did much prefer this. The other speakers I tried against it (can't remember which ones) seemed woolly in comparison, although they did give more bass.

That was MajorFubar not me ;-)

However, I'd dearly like to know where you think you are going to get a new replacement cartridge for the 1012 for £85..... more like £185 as far as I can see.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Very true Al.

So many different ways to juggle your £500. Your turntable needs a service. If you fundamentally like the sound of it, getting it fixed and replacing the worn stylus might be the most cost effective route. It will of course blow a hole in your £500, but not as much as buying something new which betters it. Your CD player was no slouch in its day, but depending on what's wrong with it, it could be uneconomical to repair.

I still think you need to spend as much as you can on sorting out the amp and speaker combo because you just simply don't like the sound of them together, no matter what you do with your turntable and CD player. You've never mentioned the possibility of getting shot of the speakers. It might be difficult with your current budget and the necessity to fix/replace three pieces of broken kit by using a good chunk of it, but don't rule out the possibility for the future. Sure it's very likely you can find an amp which suits the speakers more than the Cyrus, but if you think the shift in tonal balance will be night and day and will make speakers which don't really have deep thumping bass suddenly sound like you've bolted on some 15" subfoofers, you're going to be disappointed.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This is not as easy as it reads :) but I think it's just as interesting to make a 'small' sum of money go as far as possible as it is to throw cash at it.

The stylus is an inevitability. So straight away you loose about £150 of your 500.

As to turntable servicing ... do it yourself. They are simple things. I've even serviced my Technics SL's... far more complex. Buy a belt and some oil. Clean the bearing etcetera. It's fun, it's cheaper. Then buy yourself a digital gauge if you don't already have one.

That's one of your front ends sorted out.

Leaves £300.

Many ways to go ... you could get a s/h cyrus 8 and add a s/h project or rega phono stage. At a later stage you could add a psx-r and cyrus cd player or just connect a chrome cast audio fomr streaming.

Or you could go minimalist with a pair of QAcoustics highly regarded and well reviewed BT 3's. They look lovely, can stream and you can get a s/h phono stage to connect.

The BT 3 featured in one of Hifi Choices Dealer System shoot outs and came out with flying colours. They are supposed to have good weight to their sound.

Just some ideas.

liverpooljim

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi Major Fubar,

It's looking that way. Thinking of a Marantz 6006, then it's either a toss up between a new stylus for the Goldring cartridge or as Al Ears said - "how about a completely new cartridge instead of replacing the stylus?" The Goldring styluses for the 1012 appear to be increasing in costs dramatically, not sure if it's due to the 1012 being superceded by the 1012GX, so in the long run a more modern cartridge with cost-effective stylus replacements maybe the more sensible option. Even further down the line (after the Basik has been serviced by either Linn or myself (interesting idea Drummerman)) it would be easier to transfer the newer cartridge to a newer turntable when the day comes.

Then there's the speakers! I'm starting to find good(ish) speakers in the many charity shops springing up everywhere (a pair of Celestion 7s for £20) so the route of finding second hand ones to keep me going is a good idea to save the budget. Many thanks for all your input, especially for the idea of a home demo' over a few days - I never thought of that one at all.

liverpooljim

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Opps - sorry to get you confused with the major! ;-)

The Goldring cartridge is fine - it's just the stylus that needs replacing but boy not sure where I found the price of £85 from? I must have dreamt it! I think the idea of a completely new cartidge will be far most cost effective now and in the future so many thanks.

liverpooljim

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi Drummerman,

Thanks for the idea of servicing the Basik myself - never thought of that. I've started Googling it and it looks doable. Like you say ".. it's interesting."

The stylus is indeed an inevitability but thinking of a completely new cartridge as more cost effective in the long run. So out of the roughly £500 - £600 budget if I spend £150 - £200 on the cart' that leaves £400 for the amp, service the Basik myself, find some good second hand speakers and start saving for the Planar 3!

Many thanks for your help and all the other ideas - going to start trawling ebay now ;-)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
If it was me and you just wanted to get to listen to music again

i would look at secondhand something like the old marantz pm6005 amp and the matching cd6005 you get both on eBay mint for a good price and there is not much difference between the pm6005 and the pm6006 only the price .

this will give you a phono stage for the TT when you have the money to replace the cart on the TT and the marantz has a good onboard dac too .

but normally it is a good idea to buy new speakers at the same time as the amp so you no the speakers will be a good match with the amp but understand funds are tight we have all been there but please do not spend all of your budget on the marantz pm6006 get the marantz pm6005 that will get you going again until you have the money to do something else .

liverpooljim

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi Black Sabbath 25,

Apologies for the late reply and appreciate the advice - it was a toss up between the 6005 and the 6006 as I really need a good TT stage so the 6005 will save me a few pennies. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS