Bristol Sound and Vision show 2014

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I enjoyed my day at the show, and here’s my tenpennerth. WHF stand was good, thanks to the guy who’s got the Epicon 2 speakers at home (didn’t get his name) very helpful. The 2 TVs demo was interesting, queues were better in the afternoon and I preferred the OLED but that may have be because the 4K was larger and doing more upscaling bit of bad luck for me though if most companies are only going to make 4Ks in the future. Good choice of films used.

My music taste must be poor as there was nothing playing anywhere of my taste so it my affect my opinions

The Naim Statement was disappointing, too much noise from the back of the room (aircon or something) you could hear on the quieter pieces, and a rare selection of music played. They talked about how it was designed to be good at all volume levels and then only played at one level, I’m glad I can’t afford it.

Never got to hear the Kef Blades as the door was always shut, the PMC room was always too full so never got to hear those either.

My favourites were Decent Audio with Unico CDE + Pathos amp and Usher speakers, lovely warm sound, The Michell Orbe (I’m biased) Kudos S10s and Proac D30s. I thought the Clearaudio sounded too clinical. The Tannoy WRGR was very good and the Astell & Kern was impressive, that’s about all I can remember at midnight seeing as I was up at 6. I reckon I’ll go again next year.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
4K was being upscaled, shame i wonder when we will get a chance to see a genuine 4K demo and media. :pray: I hope it's this year.

On the direct comparisons on the 3 films the 4K was being upscaled and was a 65" compared to a 55", if both TVs were the same size I doubt whether there would have been much difference, The promotional 4K Sony clip shown was superb.

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
Went on the Friday -

I also liked the Unico CDE, Pathos amp with Usher speakers, such a natural flowing sound.

Kef room had the small Eggs, AV system showing the Lorax film - great dynamic sound. Next up was a very expensive turntable (needle £5000), Moon amps system worth many thousands of pounds through the Blades.

Thought the Monitor Audio sound bar was very good, as was the Focal Spirit headphones through Naim.

Proac D30`S very good, followed by the D20`s which perhaps need more listening time.

Kudos speakers, the X2`s in the Audioquest room was impressive.

The new Neat Motive range with Naim I found to be very hard sounding ! Cyrus xp streamer & the Lyric very good.

Got to hear the D7`s & a pair of older speakers in the Spendor room.

The Q Acoustics new floorstanders had greater depth than the excellent standmounts but £1000 asking price ?

The PMC room was packed so went along at the end of the day to hear the excellent twenty .26`s

A good day but got soaked walking back to the train station !!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
First timer for me - went on Friday. I was particularly interested in amps & speakers circa £800 - £1000.

Heard the new Q Acoustics Concept 40's, very clear but maybe a bit clinical for my taste. They swapped to a pair of Concept 20's and I expected a bigger difference bewteen the 2 models. Went back at the end of the day with more 'accoustomed ears' and I could tell immediately that the 40's were playing - although not sure I'd pay £1000.

Went to the B&W 600 series demo all being driven by a Rotel RA1570 amp & cd combination. In particular I was impresed by the floorstanding 684's and standmount 685's - I'd be quite happy to own either of them and certainly the 684's will be on my demo list in the future.

Had a quick listen to the Kef Blades - very nice, Neat SX1's - very detailed and 'fast', PMC 21's - again nice detail, and lots of others out of pure interest rather than models I would seriously consider purchasing. Some rooms just played the music too loud, and in one (cant remember which) they were blasting Massive Attack.

Much calmer in the Rega room, they seemed to suggest that a new amp is imminent - one that fits between the Brio and Elicit - which is what I wanted to hear.

The wow factor for me was two-fold. First watching a film clip in 3D with an Epsom projector - amazing!

Secondly, in the Rel room, they had a demo using a 5.3 speaker setup. Each Rel sub was connected to either the front L/R, centre or rear speakers. The speakers I think were Harberth SL5's. The effect was very impressive - immersing you within the film sequences. But, and I'm not sure why, they seemed to play for a minute just the front speakers just in stereo - connected to a Rega Elicit and Saturn. This sounded fantastic - just sounded perfect to my ears. I want them :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts