Bristol Sound and Vision show 2014

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,176
1
0
bigboss said:
So it's on 21st-23rd February this year. I will most likely be attending, to see the discounts on offer. Anyone else going?
I usually go on the Friday with a work colleague but I came in this morning to be told that he and the other two permanent staff are being taken to Toulouse for a company team-building exercise so I have to be in the office for the three days they're out, which is the 19th, 20th and 21st of February, so it's not looking good (I won't go over the weekend, too far away from home and too busy, Friday's bad enough, I understand is much busier).
 

bigboss

Moderator
mr malarky said:
Upgrading both amplifier and speakers?
Yes, that's the plan. Blu ray player as well possibly. So far, I'm looking at Kef R series, with R500 floorstanders as fronts. AV receiver likely to be a Yamaha RX-A3030 or Pioneer SC-LX87. Will look at Monitor Audio and B&W offerings as well.
 

bigboss

Moderator
The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:
So it's on 21st-23rd February this year. I will most likely be attending, to see the discounts on offer. Anyone else going?
I usually go on the Friday with a work colleague but I came in this morning to be told that he and the other two permanent staff are being taken to Toulouse for a company team-building exercise so I have to be in the office for the three days they're out, which is the 19th, 20th and 21st of February, so it's not looking good (I won't go over the weekend, too far away from home and too busy, Friday's bad enough, I understand is much busier).
I will be in London for a meeting on 20th, so thinking of attending the show on 21st before heading back.
 

mr malarky

New member
Apr 4, 2009
111
0
0
bigboss said:
mr malarky said:
Upgrading both amplifier and speakers?
Yes, that's the plan. Blu ray player as well possibly. So far, I'm looking at Kef R series, with R500 floorstanders as fronts. AV receiver likely to be a Yamaha RX-A3030 or Pioneer SC-LX87. Will look at Monitor Audio and B&W offerings as well.
Nice, am a tad jealous - wish I could justify a full round of upgrades! :)

Provided my work diary stays free I'm up for a look around on the 21st, so let me know nearer the time if your definitely going down that day?
 

stavvy

New member
Jul 11, 2013
41
0
0
hope to be able to hear some more B&W speakers this year. was dissapointed they were only there to show off their a5/a7 dock last year with a pair of 802 diamonds in the stand purely for decoration!
 

andrewmillner

Well-known member
Oct 25, 2009
21
0
18,520
I would like to go. I hope to see Chord Electronics new headphone amp. Is this show the biggest in the UK? I have not made it before and wondered just how big and busy the Saturday will be.
 

AlmaataKZ

New member
Jan 7, 2009
295
0
0
bigboss said:
mr malarky said:
Upgrading both amplifier and speakers?
Yes, that's the plan. Blu ray player as well possibly. So far, I'm looking at Kef R series, with R500 floorstanders as fronts. AV receiver likely to be a Yamaha RX-A3030 or Pioneer SC-LX87. Will look at Monitor Audio and B&W offerings as well.
Apologies for thread drift. BB, have you considered Oppo 105 directly to actives?
 

Leeps

New member
Dec 10, 2012
219
1
0
I'll very likely be going. Hope to spend some time with Neat, Monitor Audio, Naim, Cyrus, Roksan, KEF, PMC, Spendor and Guru (I'm exhausted just thinking about it). Although based on my last experience a couple of years ago, each room tended to be playing one thing throughout the day (whatever they were promoting the most that year, usually their latest release) with some very dubious and evidently hastily-prepared playlists!

However, it can draw you to things you wouldn't otherwise have considered; I remember being particularly impressed with Neat Iotas and Spendors last time, and it can repell you from things you were previously seriously considering (Audiolab - torture, Grado headphones - nasty despite all the rave reviews; but I completely accept some people have bought these products and have been very satisfied with them - just not me...ever!!), so even if you don't get everything you would have hoped out of the show, it's still a worthwhile process.
 

bigboss

Moderator
AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:
mr malarky said:
Upgrading both amplifier and speakers?
Yes, that's the plan. Blu ray player as well possibly. So far, I'm looking at Kef R series, with R500 floorstanders as fronts. AV receiver likely to be a Yamaha RX-A3030 or Pioneer SC-LX87. Will look at Monitor Audio and B&W offerings as well.
Apologies for thread drift. BB, have you considered Oppo 105 directly to actives?
No I haven't. Are there any reasonably priced floor stander actives?
 

AlmaataKZ

New member
Jan 7, 2009
295
0
0
Not many but there are. Adam Audio Artist 6 for example. They have a matching centre channel as well. Rears can be Artist 6, 5 or 3.

The upcoming Epos could be reasonably priced as well but I do not know if they will make a matching centre.

Dynaoudio Xeo?

Here re some pics of the Adams from Munich HiEnd 2012:





Back on topic:

I may visit this year (will know mid Feb - I have to travel from London). If I do, would you like to meet for a drink/lunch, BB?
 

bigboss

Moderator
Hmmm....interesting! So, if I have multiple HDMI sources (Sky HD, Apple TV etc.), how do I connect them?

It'll be great to meet! Let me know. I'm planning for either Friday or Saturday (mostly Saturday).
 

AlmaataKZ

New member
Jan 7, 2009
295
0
0
bigboss said:
Hmmm....interesting! So, if I have multiple HDMI sources (Sky HD, Apple TV etc.), how do I connect them?
Oppo+actives is a minimalist approach. Multiple sources definately = AV receiver. Or AV pre, in case of actives.

bigboss said:
It'll be great to meet! Let me know. I'm planning for either Friday or Saturday (mostly Saturday).
Will do early Feb.
 

AlmaataKZ

New member
Jan 7, 2009
295
0
0
bigboss said:
Hmmm....interesting! So, if I have multiple HDMI sources (Sky HD, Apple TV etc.), how do I connect them?
Oppo+actives is a minimalist approach. Multiple sources definately = AV receiver. Or AV pre, in case of actives.

bigboss said:
It'll be great to meet! Let me know. I'm planning for either Friday or Saturday (mostly Saturday).
Will do early Feb.
 

Lost Angeles

Well-known member
Apr 24, 2008
130
0
18,590
How do these shows work, do the exhibitors have pre-set times during the day when they are demoing their stuff , say every half hour and you need to pre-book with them to guarantee getting in for a listen or is it come and go as you please. I fancy a trip to Bristol and have never been to one of these before.
 

simonlewis

New member
Apr 15, 2008
590
1
0
If it's the same as the manchester shows manufactures have pre-set times when they demo although you may need a ticket for the pre-set time but some people get a ticket and don't show up, this was a few years ago though.
 

Clare Newsome

New member
Jun 4, 2007
1,657
0
0
Lost Angeles said:
How do these shows work, do the exhibitors have pre-set times during the day when they are demoing their stuff , say every half hour and you need to pre-book with them to guarantee getting in for a listen or is it come and go as you please. I fancy a trip to Bristol and have never been to one of these before.
Most rooms in Bristol are usually open, walk-in demos. Others - typically more complex kit - have timed demos you either have to queue for or come back later. There's also a series of interconnecting rooms on the ground floor with open product displays and demos: plenty to play with if you do have to wait for a timed demo.
 

Lost Angeles

Well-known member
Apr 24, 2008
130
0
18,590
Clare Newsome said:
Lost Angeles said:
How do these shows work, do the exhibitors have pre-set times during the day when they are demoing their stuff , say every half hour and you need to pre-book with them to guarantee getting in for a listen or is it come and go as you please. I fancy a trip to Bristol and have never been to one of these before.
Most rooms in Bristol are usually open, walk-in demos. Others - typically more complex kit - have timed demos you either have to queue for or come back later. There's also a series of interconnecting rooms on the ground floor with open product displays and demos: plenty to play with if you do have to wait for a timed demo.
Thanks Clare, I presume Friday may be the slightly quieter day.
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
bigboss said:
mr malarky said:
Upgrading both amplifier and speakers?
Yes, that's the plan. Blu ray player as well possibly. So far, I'm looking at Kef R series, with R500 floorstanders as fronts. AV receiver likely to be a Yamaha RX-A3030 or Pioneer SC-LX87. Will look at Monitor Audio and B&W offerings as well.
you're going Big, Boss... ;)

I've upgrade my AV last month, Yamaha RX V775 and i will buy Dynaudio excite X22 central channel next month, just waiting on my dealer stockoff of Dynaudio Excite range. 8)
 

matthewpiano

Well-known member
Nov 23, 2007
228
13
18,795
I'm torn. With no show at all in Manchester this year, I would quite like to go to Bristol but, on the other hand, it is a real trek from Lancashire and I'm wondering whether putting me in a building with so much hi-fi kit is a great idea at present. I'm also concerned about travelling all the way down there to find it is so busy that it is impossible to get to hear anything properly.

I might do something different like go to Scalford later in the year.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS