Bring Back Chromecast Audio's ?

Witterings

I stumbled across an interesting article this morning about Chromecast Audio's and if there's now a marketplace for them with a link to it here

Personally I'd be in favour of it making a comeback, especially if it was upgraded to higher res, it'd be nice as well if you could cast directly from Amazon Music App on iOS to a Chromecast Audio as you can on Android but I guess that's not going to happen.

2/3rd's of the way down the article there's an option to vote in favour or not with 93% of votes saying yes please, interested to hear what other people's thoughts are?

Reactions: nopiano

daveh75

It's been speculated to be making a comeback for some time, based on references to previously unheard of devices in the fuchsia code base.

Until such times though the Xiaomi Mi Box S doesn't make a bad substitute.

Yes it's primarily a video streamer and almost double the price of the original CCA, but can be used headlessly to emulate the CCA.

John Darko has written/vlogged quite extensively about using it in this way...

Last edited:

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Biggest bargain in Hifi history imho. Absolutely, bring it back.

I've used one for years and still have one wrapped up new. I think I paid 15 quid or thereabouts each when they were on offer. Insane.

24/96 limitation is no issue (for me) and I don't really care about gapless but appreciate some do.

Casting using the streaming platforms own apps is great as it keeps all features intact.

Yes, you can stream Amazon Music through Android to the CCA but only in basic quality ie MP3 or thereabouts. No HD. Amazon says no.

Reactions: Al ears

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
It doesn't support Chromecast built-in though, whereas the Wiim Pro will, hence the question
Aahhh, I didn't realise that chromecast built in would be so important, tidal connect( no mqa decoding) Spotify connect and Amazon music casting are all available though ....which....ateotd, isn't a lot cash for a streamer, I believe the new pro version will be around the £150 area, if you don't need or want the chromecast built in option and just need a way to stream tidal, Spotify etc, this wee device looks like a no brainer.

Last edited:

doifeellucky

I use two CCA’s in different systems with Spotify and have a gapless experience. I have no interest in Hi-res. I’ve tried Tidal masters and Apple Music, and can’t tell the difference with my Mojo 2 and Edition XS. The one thing I did notice was a significant performance drop even on 400Mb cable. Noticeable delays in playback of songs on Tidal and Apple.

daveh75

Fair do's, I think the cca is a bit long in the tooth now as gapless playback is a deal breaker for myself and many others I guess

It's a non issue for all but a handful of audiophiles, and certainly the mainstream CCAs were aimed at.

But there are workarounds for Gapless playback...

not to mention it's lack of connectivity, I suppose that's why I gave my cca to a friend many moons ago.

It was a small device with an RRP of £30, not sure what your expectations were, but again, analogue/toslink covers the bases for its target audience.

Witterings

Having just started using my Chromecasts again having not done so for quite a while and started a thread basically supporting them.

I've been trying to use them as my main streamer again and have realised how they're stripping away compatibilty and just trying to force you to use youtube so my initial re-ethusiam has completely disappeared.

I'm sure you used to be able to go into googlehome and into a created multiroom speaker group and then cast audio and anything you played would g out to the group, this option has disappeared both on iOS and Android ... the only thingsyou can use now are utube.

I belive you used to be able to cast to a single unit on iOS but that's disappeared although you can still do it with Android unless that's possibly only because I haven't updated the App.

If that is the case I absolutely abhor these contrived companies that try and force you just down their road.

Have others experienced the same or is there something I'm not doing / can't find in settings?

DCarmi

I'm sure you used to be able to go into googlehome and into a created multiroom speaker group and then cast audio and anything you played would g out to the group, this option has disappeared both on iOS and Android ... the only thingsyou can use now are utube.
I use Android, but with CCAs and other cast speakers:
  • In Google Home click the "+" (top left).
  • In "Add to home" click create speaker group.
  • Tick the "speakers" you wish.
If I remember correctly, Google did remove the ability to synchronise the audio playback between devices, I think due to a legal dispute with Sonos. Google being Google would rather remove a facility than pay the royalty.

I frequently cast Spotify, BBC Sounds, etc. Also audio locally from my devices.

If you are talking about Chromecast (video version), I have not tried adding them to speaker groups. Personally I have no need to.

Reactions: annnnnnetwats

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts