Brand preference

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, thanks for replying to the thread i started previously. I had since settle down on a new Naim Rig. But i can't help to notice that most forum member here seems to mention more on Primare, Arcam, Cyrus, Musical Fidelity but not Naim. Is it because Naim is unpopular and unwelcome here?

A

Anonymous

I don't think it's unpopular. Perhaps it's not that mainstream - it is quite expensive.

I have NAD gear and it does not stop me posting.

There are other forums (so I am given to understand) where you can't post unless you have Naim gear or something even more expensive and exotic without being flamed.

A

Anonymous

So you had decided go for the Naim rather then the Primare. Generally the people here is knowledgeable and friendly, i had no difficultly posting for quires and etc. Naim not being mention often doesn't mean it is unpopular. If you want a forum that talk about Naim only, you can register yourself in the Naim forum.

A

Anonymous

Naim gear is certainly not unfavoured here - Arcam is a bit though!

A

Anonymous

I post on here and I have Sony equipment!!! ;) (Although not often in the Hifi forum haha)

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
A lot of opinions are just that. If you are happy with your puchasing choice that is all that matters,in fact that is the most important thing.

A

Anonymous

Arcam CD and Musical Fidelity amp here. Works for me.................

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

nexski:If you want a forum that talk about Naim only, you can register yourself in the Naim forum.I found the Naim forum to be a tad unfriendly, my only thread after not seeing anything similar got a "go see your dealer" and then locked. Very friendly to newbies!

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:nexski:If you want a forum that talk about Naim only, you can register yourself in the Naim forum.I found the Naim forum to be a tad unfriendly, my only thread after not seeing anything similar got a "go see your dealer" and then locked. Very friendly to newbies!

I found that the Naim forum to be fine to newcomers, my first post there had a lot of people welcoming me and answering my question.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am sure not so long ago every other threads was about Naim's products!

Arcam is properbly most popular brand here and close 2nd is Cyrus. (just guessing from reading posts)

A

Anonymous

I find the Naim Forum more on the informative side as i always get my quires answer whenever i face a technical issue. Anyway i find both Naim forum and Whats Hifi a great place to hang out, as i find the people are generally sincere in replying whatever quires i post. It is certainly more newbie friendly then the local forum in my country .

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't read too much into it (excuse the pun).....It's probably more a combination to do with high-end Naim owners being relatively self sufficient, being looked after by their dealers and also hanging out at specific forums such as Naim's...

I don't think there's anything wrong here (WhatHiFi), all very welcoming, and it doesn't seem to matter a jot to the staff whether they are talking about a £15k CD player or a £80 one...It's all relative...and valid. Bare in mind the magazine, and hence forum, has a vast scope to cover, at all budgets, so I'm often impressed they both manage to do this the majority of the time...

At the end of the day it's about your own ears, and what you like and believe in, that matters....Opinions, are...just that. Take them in, let them guide you and counter balance thoughts, but at the end of the day, it's your call.....I'm planning to change all my gear to a Naim set up, for both Stereo and AV, once funds allow, and to be honest, I couldn't give a monkeys what the majority of 'opinions' and 'preferences' out there say - I've reached the plan I have with a few choice reviews, a few opinions and most important of all, my own ears....I don't feel the need to get into lengthy debates of one brand vs the other, what's the point, and I'd much rather spend my time on here sharing and gaining advice or experiences in other areas, particularly things I don't know about...

As mentioned above, if you need some 'home comfort' then head over to the Naim forums every now and then. They do seem friendly and helpful from what I've read, although I have to say, I think it is moderated by a facist. You'll soon see how chilled out the bunch are here...!
emotion-21.gif

Back to Naim, I love their kit, but they do, for me, seem to have an uncanny similar place in the HiFi world as Leica cameras do in my profession. They both cost the earth, heap their long reputations on quality and extreme attention to detail, embrace the 'less is more' mantra and arguably are the best at what they do (IMO)...They also inhabit marketplaces where in the face of mass consumerism and mass production, whether it be Sony or Canon, they are best described as 'Niche'....However, it is also more than fair to say, they are both also over-priced, often under (or low) spec'd, slow to the market and at times, elitist.

I wouldn't go without my Leicas'...and I expect I'll feel the same about any boxes I buy from Sailsbury.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts