News Bowers & Wilkins released new app and firmware for the Formation Suite products

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, I just noticed that B&W have created a new app which integrates Tidal and other streaming platforms. There is also new firmware available for the formation products, release 2.0. I have no other information and cannot seem to find any information on the net.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

I am quite interested in a Wedgie:

Reactions: Solo

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
I am quite interested in a Wedgie:

The reviews are good for the Wedgie and in my opinion it looks the part.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
Since they are part of Sound United, who owns HEOS, I would not be suprised that in near future they become part of HEOS enabled speakers..

That is possible. I don't know much about HEOS, don't know how it works nor know anything about the quality of the HEOS environment.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi all, I just noticed that B&W have created a new app which integrates Tidal and other streaming platforms. There is also new firmware available for the formation products, release 2.0. I have no other information and cannot seem to find any information on the net.

great to see there standing behind there product

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
Heos is great, but I think it’s only Roon compatible, not Roon Ready yet, and doesn’t support MQA.

The B&W formation products are Roon Ready. I have been thinking of going that route and subscribe to Roon. Although the reviews are raving i have not got myself to do it.
1. I do not have a lot of music downloads and mostly stream my music.
2. My pc is quite dated which would mean that I either have to buy a new one or go the NUC or Nucleus route. That excludes the cost of the Roon subscription.

I am hoping that B&W will add Tidal connect then at least MQA will be supported

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
Tidal Connect doesn’t automatically include native MQA decoding. The device hardware must have the capability. And I don’t think the Formation series has it.

Thanks for clearing that up. So Roon is the only way to go then.. for now
Or stream via MQA enabled DAC

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I’ve been using Roon on my Formation Duo system and it’s great, apart from needing to run the Roon Core software on my iMac.
I considered buying a Nucleus or a NUC PC, but couldn’t justify the cost, especially with new developments like Tidal Connect and the prospect of the Formation products getting improved connectivity and functionality.

I just downloaded the new B&W Music app and I can now run Tidal direct to the speakers, without Roon or a separate streamer link.
So far, the music quality via Music is excellent and it’s very stable, but the new app will need a lot more development, which B&W say is in the pipeline.
B&W are getting behind their Formation range now.

D

Deleted member 2457

Has anyone heard the Wedge and what would you compare it too? Thanks. I have demoed it in John Lewis but only very briefly, wasn’t sure about it.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just bought the Wedge from JL being delivered tomorrow just going to pray it’s better than the KEF LS50 Wireless speakers!

Changed my mind and cancelled on the JL website.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
The new Bowers & Wilkins Music app is a big step up for the Formation Duo and for the other formation products i guess. Instead of streaming Tidal via airplay, it is directly connected to the speakers and seriously improves the sound quality. Although the app needs improvements, it is going into the right direction.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Just bought the Wedge from JL being delivered tomorrow just going to pray it’s better than the KEF LS50 Wireless speakers!

Changed my mind and cancelled on the JL website.

Are you considering that instead of Kef's wireless?

That Wedge has its place but as a replacement for a 2 channel system it seems compromised.

What did you not like about the Kef's?

D

Deleted member 2457

Are you considering that instead of Kef's wireless?

That Wedge has its place but as a replacement for a 2 channel system it seems compromised.

What did you not like about the Kef's?
Yes, I was considering it instead of the Kef speakers. Ok, thanks. I didn’t find the Kef’s very clear.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
If any wired connections to the Duo are required the addition of the connect box (Formation Audio) is required.

This costs an additional £600 and is not included with the speakers.

That will give you 1 digital (toslink) and one set of rca's.

This seems rather expensive.

However, if streaming is all one requires then the above is not necessary and imho makes a more value proposition.

The speaker uses WiFi exclusively. However, it creates its own wireless mesh network to communicate between the speakers and other Formation devices. I am not entirely sure how that works and if there is an impact if you are unfortunate enough and live in flaky reception area. - Although the speakers have an Ethernet port, that can not be used to connect the speakers to each other as far as I can see (unlike Kef's LS50 Wireless Meta's which can also be connected to each other via a Cat5/6/7/8 and can be used even without Wifi ) There is no remote either so your phone/tablet etc is required. Again, the Kef and some others have this as well as more input options out of the box.

Maybe Jaxwire can jime in if I got it wrong.

Last edited:

Solo

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
If any wired connections to the Duo are required the addition of the connect box (Formation Audio) is required.

This costs an additional £600 and is not included with the speakers.

That will give you 1 digital (toslink) and one set of rca's.

This seems rather expensive.

However, if streaming is all one requires then the above is not necessary and imho makes a more value proposition.

The speaker uses WiFi exclusively. However, it creates its own wireless mesh network to communicate between the speakers and other Formation devices. I am not entirely sure how that works and if there is an impact if you are unfortunate enough and live in flaky reception area. - Although the speakers have an Ethernet port, that can not be used to connect the speakers to each other as far as I can see (unlike Kef's LS50 Wireless Meta's which can also be connected to each other via a Cat5/6/7/8 and can be used even without Wifi ) There is no remote either so your phone/tablet etc is required. Again, the Kef and some others have this as well as more input options out of the box.

Maybe Jaxwire can jime in if I got it wrong.

I have the Formation Audio streamer connected to my turntable. I agree that the Audio is expensive, but it works flawlessly. My internet is not the best but i hardly have any issues with the speakers. You are correct that you cannot connect the speakers to each other (no master/slave concept), IMO that is a good thing, otherwise it add more wires and it is supposed to be a wireless system (except from the power supply of course).

I control the speakers via my iPad and use the new B&W music app to stream directly to the Duo's. This app is a big step up from using airplay. Sound is clear, full and expansive. So far i am happy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts