Review Bowers & Wilkins P7 - Still a fantastic set of cans

Sleeper98

Apr 21, 2022
Visit site
I recently purchased a second hand pair of the P7 headphones after being pretty disappointed with the PX7, particularly when plugged into an amplifier.

I must admit, I am a bit of a B&W fan since I have a set of 606 s2 speakers paired with the Rotel a11 tribute and Rega Planar 2 turntable.

Previously I've had the p3, which were crap, the PX which were better but quite uncomfortable and then the PX7 which seemed like a step down from the PX in terms of sound quality... sounding artificial and processed. I decided to sell the PX7 and take a step back in time to purchase a used pair of P7 cans which seem to be better suited for at home listening and should, in theory sound better plugged in to an amp.

The result is what I would expect from Bowers and Wilkins, absolutely fantastic. Huge soundstage, very accurate albeit slightly closed but this is expected since they are not open back headphones. What on earth went wrong with B&W headphone sound quality? it seems since they added the ANC and wireless technology they all seem to be missing the key recipe in a good set of head phones; sound quality.

I would recommend the P7 to anyone, they feel and look the part and sound so much better than the newer range. I picked up these for 120 quid on eBay, boxed and they are worth every penny.

Seems to be a common theme these days, old is better. Cars are no different.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
I recently purchased a second hand pair of the P7 headphones after being pretty disappointed with the PX7, particularly when plugged into an amplifier.

I must admit, I am a bit of a B&W fan since I have a set of 606 s2 speakers paired with the Rotel a11 tribute and Rega Planar 2 turntable.

Previously I've had the p3, which were crap, the PX which were better but quite uncomfortable and then the PX7 which seemed like a step down from the PX in terms of sound quality... sounding artificial and processed. I decided to sell the PX7 and take a step back in time to purchase a used pair of P7 cans which seem to be better suited for at home listening and should, in theory sound better plugged in to an amp.

The result is what I would expect from Bowers and Wilkins, absolutely fantastic. Huge soundstage, very accurate albeit slightly closed but this is expected since they are not open back headphones. What on earth went wrong with B&W headphone sound quality? it seems since they added the ANC and wireless technology they all seem to be missing the key recipe in a good set of head phones; sound quality.

I would recommend the P7 to anyone, they feel and look the part and sound so much better than the newer range. I picked up these for 120 quid on eBay, boxed and they are worth every penny.

Seems to be a common theme these days, old is better. Cars are no different.
Al and I feel exactly the same too. (y)

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I agree, also still really happy with my P7. They are still great, except the carrying pouch has detoriated, which I didn't expect.
I'm currently looking for a new wired headphone of similar quality, which has proven quite difficult. Most companies indeed have gone the wireless/ANC route. I'd like a headphone with the looks and quality of the P7 while still being foldable for use on the move. Wish they'd make a real successor of the P7...

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
I agree, also still really happy with my P7. They are still great, except the carrying pouch has detoriated, which I didn't expect.
I'm currently looking for a new wired headphone of similar quality, which has proven quite difficult. Most companies indeed have gone the wireless/ANC route. I'd like a headphone with the looks and quality of the P7 while still being foldable for use on the move. Wish they'd make a real successor of the P7...

What about these?

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
I too still run a set of P7 headphones, great sound. I don't know what all the fuss is regarding ANC, if you are wearing either over ears or IEMs not much in the way of noise really gets in and if it is loud enough you probably need to be aware of it anyway!

Just traded my PXs for the new PX8, the jury is still out since I've only listened to them for a short while and the first (two) things I did was turn off the ANC and stopping play when you lift off the headphones. The later is more of a nuisance especially if you are on the move, eating, chewing, wear glasses, move your head around or anything at all except sitting dead still.

As some one said above; focus on the sound not the gimmicks.

PS WHF; stop encouraging them!

Reactions: Freddy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts