Bowers & Wilkins P7 headphones with the Fiio E12 amp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

theflyingwasp

bigboss said:
theflyingwasp said:
i shelled out almost £500 for my current set up BUT these new oppo headphones and amp are getting very good reviews .the oppo set up would be £1699 including amp I'm giving these some serious thought but am I really going to get a massive jump in sound quality and are these headphone/amp meant to be plugged into receiver or high end hifi set ups opposed to iPods etc

Oppo PM-2 is being launched shortly for £699 (even cheaper if you're planning to travel to the US in the near future) offering the same performance as the PM-1 with the only difference being the materials used (The PM-2 will use lower grade metallic components, and swap out the lambskin coating along the pads for synthetic leather.)

This is what Oppo say:

"In addition to the OPPO PM-1, we will also release an OPPO PM-2 model which will be a more affordable version of the premium OPPO PM-1. The OPPO PM-2 will have very similar performance while reducing costs to the customer. It utilizes the same planar magnetic driver, the same acoustic design principles and tuning techniques, the same tight tolerances for quality control, and its lower price is achieved without sacrificing acoustic performance.

The OPPO PM-2 is estimated to be available Summer 2014 at a suggested retail price of $699.

Best Regards,
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."

Hmmm I dunno If I do buy the more expensive of the 2 i don't expect to buy headphones or amps for a very very long time .it would just niggle away at me getting the cheaper ones.i don't regret or feel I rushed into buying the p7s but I wished I'd increased my budget to begin with.

T

theflyingwasp

Yes I see your point .£400 is a chunk of change (I could get 1 very good hdmi cable for that :))

Oppo should have taken away some of the sound quality for £699 .headphones at that price will only be used at home as much as I like my build quality with no sound improvements on the £1099 pair it will be a hard sell.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
That is a serious amount of cash for a set of headphones!! I thought the p7s and b&os were a big trade!!

If you take into account source- iPad Air- £600, headphones £1100 for the oppo's and a modest amp at say £110 with another £30 for connections. It's a very good home hifi that you are sitting on the train/plane with. A muggers dream!! :?

i have seen home audiophile headphones before used with dedicated amps. Maybe the oppo's are designed for that?

john

T

theflyingwasp

john1000000boy said:
That is a serious amount of cash for a set of headphones!! I thought the p7s and b&os were a big trade!!

If you take into account source- iPad Air- £600, headphones £1100 for the oppo's and a modest amp at say £110 with another £30 for connections. It's a very good home hifi that you are sitting on the train/plane with. A muggers dream!! :?

i have seen home audiophile headphones before used with dedicated amps. Maybe the oppo's are designed for that?

john

my thoughts exactly .ive never took the amp out of the house .out and about I just use the iPhone with my in ear headphones.with the p7s being my first headphones maybe I've peaked to quickly ,

there are better sounding headphones out there but for I-products perhaps the fiio and p7s are all I will ever need.

swm_uk

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
For info of anyone looking at p7's, I've just been into unilet in New Malden to have a wee browse on the first day of their sale, and they've got them up for £229. Refurbed by bowers but by the looks of them they're identical to the brand new ones I bought earlier in the year except for the box. Her masters voice doesn't think I need a second pair.. :twisted:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts