Bought an MF M1 DAC - Now what?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently I stream all my music via AirPlay to my apple tv2 from my iMac and that is then connected to my amp via a toslink cable and basic Lindy DAC (£40 one that What Hifi have reviewed).

I feel that the sound, although good now, can be bettered so have bought myself an M1 DAC in hoping that it'll provide that extra openness to the soundstage and make the treble a bit more open with some music and the bass more defined with other music.

A few folks say that with AirPlay in lies the issue as it streams at 16/48 and is not bit perfect. This i understand, sort of, but it doesn't cause me to be concerned too much probably because I don't fully understand it!

My other thoughts are to consider buying the Denon streamer and connect that to the M1 DAC via toslink but to also use home plugs to connect everything via Ethernet; thus cutting out the airplay issues and leaving the ATV2 to movie and YouTube duties for the tv

Does anyone have expense of using apple tv for music duties, if so do they have theirs connected via a decent DAC and what improvements were there?

Would the Denon streamer and home plugs and all connections wired be a better, safer and more viable option?

A

Anonymous

Congrats on your dac, it will need a good 50 hours running in, i dont use apple tv or any other streaming gizmos, others on here will be able to help you with that.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I've not got an Apple TV, but I have three Airport Expresses around the house. I've found that using Homeplug, Ethernet and Toslink connections and turning the WiFi off on the AEs and iMac hugely improves the quality of the music.

A

Anonymous

ifor said:
I've not got an Apple TV, but I have three Airport Expresses around the house. I've found that using Homeplug, Ethernet and Toslink connections and turning the WiFi off on the AEs and iMac hugely improves the quality of the music.

Thanks for that; the Airport Express has been a consideration also.

I think I'm going to give the ATV2 via AirPlay and MF DAC a good go first and then I'll look into homeplugs and ethernet/wired connections.

A

Anonymous

That's interesting to hear. I wasnt keen on the Rega DAC myself; too neutral. The rDAC is good but I think the MF DAC is the step up.

In between those lies the Emotiva XDA DAC which I thought was very good indeed

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the link. If they were close I'd try the Emotiva, but they're not, so I'll save the postage and make my decision between the Arcam rDAC and the MF M1 DAC.

A

Anonymous

If you cover postage (which wont be a lot); Mark will let you have the Emotiva on trial for up to a month!

He's very good so it'd be worth a chat with him i feel

Personally I think the rDAC is good but can be beaten and the Audioengine DAC and Aune DAC's do just as good; if not better at times

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts