Boston Accoustics soundware

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the much vaunted BA soundware coupled to a Ymaha RX-V667 but I'm afraid I am struggling to get the dialogue correct. I have tried settings , moving the speakers , upping and lowering the sub . Is it just me ( and the missus) !

Funny thing is I have spoken to a couple of people at work who have the same problem, different systems . Some of whom have gone back to the TV speakers as they are clearer. Maybe we are numbskulls who cant set them up but I seem to think spending this wort of money I was expecting a little more.

Perhaps I need different systme that is better for dialogue?

Thanks

I do know that some of the Yamaha models did suffer with dialogue clarity. I haven't heard the 667. It may be worth demoing your speakers with a different receiver. When I demoed the BA Soundware XS, I didn't find the dialogue clarity to be a problem at all.

Are all your connections ok, especially the centre speaker?

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ah, thats interesting about the Yamaha, I hadn't that it could be the reciever ! I will also need to try to move the satelites away from the centre speaker more. As they are so small you have to rest them somewhere and it ended up being the lower sections of the TV stand - probably not ideal .Maybe I need stands so I can set them more apart.

Cheers

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm. I was just logging in to talk about my experiences with the Soundware XS SE and saw this thread.

I'm finding similar and have been quite underwhelmed so far by the speakers - yet all of the reviews are good!?

I've had B&W601s and a Rotel amp in the past on WhatHifi tips, then Monitor Audio BR2s (with a Teac amp), which have all lived up to expectations.

I'm using the Teac CH255 amp for the Boston Acoustics too and have audio coming from a Humax T2 box. This isn't the best audio set up of course.

At present I've only been using them in 2.1 format until I get a new AV amp, but would that make them sound so different? I'm thinking that 5.1 would just be more, wider hollow treble & bass sound, still lacking mid. I'm no audio buff, but I can tell exactly what you mean about dialogue being hard to hear against the treble and bass - how could WhatHifi see (hear) through this???

I was watching last night and the treble is harsh and rasping - the background ambience sounds too strong in TV programmes and things like the rustling of clothes become really noisy. The sound is really hollow, as if it's been recorded using the standard mic on a video camera.

The bass sounds good, but I have to turn it pretty low. At the moment, most of what I'm hearing is over-sharp treble and strong bass, with not much in between! Like others above, I'm actually thinking of sticking to the crappy TV speakers more of the time as these avoid the harsh treble.

The tweeters seem to produce a lot of very high pitch sounds that makes everything seem unnatural and digital. This overpowers the mid-range dialogue and can almost be painful to listen to.

I'll be upgrading the amp to get 5.1 and HDMI through, but I'm concerned that these speakers will still sound like this. My plan is to make sure I get one with EQ options so that I can hopefully bring down the tops of the treble and bring up the mid-range.

I'd really value comments from What Hifi or others to explain more about why it got a 5 star review, or to tell me more about why my system may be causing this. Could it be that my Teac amp is removing some of the mid-range?? I'm now wondering if Boston Acoustics paid all of the reviews off :cry:

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
T2004, you have described exactly what I have with mine. I also find the background noise covers the dialogue. I even thought about the larger BA centre speaker . I have already adjusted the centre speaker up and have to make sure the speakers are pointed EXACTLY at me when I listen to certain programmes / films ( its worse on US films where they mumble with an american accent ! )

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
My amp has been fine with other setups - I'm not convinced that the issues we're finding aren't just a result of the small speakers?

So unless you're VERY careful about what amp you're pairing with, it wont be that these just dont sound as good as they could, they'll sound really poor with excessive screechy treble and muffled mid dialogue?!

Should WhatHifi and other reviews not make more of a note of this, since it seems pretty critical.

I now worry that I'll buy and AV amp and the speakers will still sound harsh and hollow!

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I think it would be nice if WHF divulged which amps were paired with which speakers. I guess the consensus is always audition, but a starting point would be useful for most.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree , I would have loved to have demo'ed them with the Yamaha. But I must admit I felt like a bit of a budget buyer and it seemed I was a bit in the way. The listening room was being used by someone spending some real money......

i will be trying to re-position the fronts and rears further away to see if that helps. Maybe stands for them to raise them up as they are currently very close to the floor - ie. lower than the centre .

on the question demoing I went to Rayleigh hi-fi and they showed me some focals but they were way out of my budget so I didn't go back there and ended up at Richers.

will keep trying.......

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am also considering going to a 3 channel - with maybe Rega rs3's and a centre only. Don't think I will need a sub as i don't want the mind numbing bass with some films , I end up turning the sub down anyway.

Not sure about the speech with these but at least my music will be better.....definitely an audition required :clap:

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That is great , I will try it tonight .Thanks for the heads up.

I have tried to read the manual, and even printed it off to make it easier but its pretty heavy reading......

Cheers.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Will do , Bigboss. I know a lot of threads are kind of un-ended as once the issue is resolved the poster forgets the issue.

I have one myself as I posted to see if I could connect my Audio Amp to the Sony B/R player instead of using my ancient Phillips CD player . Which meant I could listen to Music DVDs through my Audio system instead of the TV surround sound. Seems I can, but I haven't got round to it yet :oops:

Cheers

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
well I set Adaptive DRC to ON last night and In the short time I had to listen it does seem a little clearer. Cant wait to try out a film now . I expect I do need to get some stands for the rear speakers so that they are higher up and I will have ago a finding some to fit the BAs to .

Thanks for all your help .

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yep , done that now. Much better . Good job too as the missus told me I wasn't getting any more speakers.....although she might allow me 2 stands for the rears as long as they fit in behind the TV !!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts