BORING VS EXCITING HIFI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey everyone. What characteristics in a hifi system do you look for? Personally, above all, i want an accurate reproduction of the sound. i.e the way it was intended to sound. so my priorities are for a cdp which can extract enough detail and an amplifier with enough power to deliver the music with all its realism. i dont want too much 'attack' or 'forwardness' or too laid back a presentation , just the way it was intended. What do u think??? are 'exciting' players artificially colouring the original recording? or are 'boring' players missing something from the original? let me know your thoughts!!

A

Anonymous

Go and see a live band in a pub. The music is bright, too loud and in yer face. This is real but personally I couldn't listen to it like that for hours every day - hence my preference for a 'warm' presentation. It's not 'real' but it's enjoyable for long periods.

A

Anonymous

good point. however i put it to you a 'live recording' should sound as it was 'live'. and other recordings should sound as they were originally recorded in the studio.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
BORING VS EXCITING HIFI!!!???

Is this suppose to be a trick question?

[/quote]

Full moon again? Understand what you mean but for me its punch/transient response above all else. Of course I want it all but all the sub 10hz bass and 40khz extended highs dont mean nothing if it sounds as flat as a pancake.

A

Anonymous

absolutely not Thaiman. i m actually questioning what so called 'Boring hifi' is. Is a neutal presentation boring? should CDPs etc 'add' to the original recording? etc etc. If a player plays extremely accurately and is close to the original isn't that better than another player which 'alters' the sound to makei t sound exciting????

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I had many rock systems and in between thst I had some (what I would call...) a boring hifi equipments but I am now building a system that will reproduce instruments's sound as close to the real thing as possible with a bass line that sound like it coming from "fender Jazz" not sub woofer. Nirvana is coming up!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]
Full moon again? Understand what you mean but for me its punch/transient response above all else. Of course I want it all but all the sub 10hz bass and 40khz extended highs dont mean nothing if it sounds as flat as a pancake.

[/quote]

... add coherence or 'a together' sound. I dont want to be distracted by a bass or treble that sounds detached from the rest. Then sprinkle a little micro dynamics or 'speed and impact of detail within the bigger picture' and finish off with nice depth and clarity to the soundstage. As pudding I have a little width too but not the wishy washy, bleached out kind that some amps and a lot of upsampling players do. Now I'll have a beer.

A

Anonymous

cheers drummerman. enjoy your beer(s). what id like to know is how electronic circuit design can make music sound forward/ exciting/ neutral or flat intentional or otherwise. Then when i hear a flat cd player i can maybe blame the electronics!!!!! (provinding a fwd/exciting player has different circuitary design) .

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]Is a neutal presentation boring? should CDPs etc 'add' to the original recording? etc etc[/quote]

No! not at all

To me boring Hifi is the one that ADD too much HiFi sound. The natural sound with a very fast timming are my cup a tea.

Densen and Audionet cd players sound of snare drums and guitar are different than the like of Primare or musical fidelity.

The latter lack bite and slam that important part of make an exciting "LIVE" sound (I should know as I was in a "proper" band) while Densen and Audionet's snare drum sound like the drummer hit them with conviction. Having said that the "hifi sound" group normally will do a better job with Jazz, classical or close to the microphone vocals.

Have you heard songbirds album on Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista? It had bags of emotion that nothing else quite like it....but switch to AC/DC and Densen will show MF how fun cd player could be with up beat rock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts