Booooooooooooooo To Freeview

mattytun1514

May 20, 2009
Visit site
I always like radio2 on my tv (freeview) in the afternoon but since tuesday it goes off air at 5pm (uk time) then comes back on air at 12pm ,i live in scottish borders is it just this area that this happens or is it all over the uk

mattytun1514

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr BBC ALBA is gaelic language i was channel hopping last night and it was on, i did retune my tv & DVD few weeks ago it picked up BBC ALBA ,is there anyway of getting rid of ALBA

uyuyuy.jpg

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
mattytun1514 said:
,is there anyway of getting rid of ALBA

Nope - if you read the full blog I linked to above, the BBC explains its decision in full.

The move also highlights the relatively limited bandwidth of Freeview compared to Freesat etc....

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Typical political correctness pandering to a small minority of people who speak gaelic.

Shame on the BBC, if people want a gaelic service then let them set up their own service and leave the majority to enjoy what they have been used to.
smiley-frown.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
chudleighpaul said:
Typical political correctness pandering to a small minority of people who speak gaelic.

Shame on the BBC, if people want a gaelic service then let them set up their own service and leave the majority to enjoy what they have been used to.
smiley-frown.gif

But "the majortiy", according to the stats, weren't listening to those specific BBC radio stations via Freeview at those times.

mattytun1514

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Freeview here in scottish borders is rubbish,some places its ok but my home town last year we lost ITV3 ITV4 plus some other channels but my sister who is 12mile away gets all freeview channels .........gaelic land is about 400mile away from me heeeheee and i think only about 50 people speak the language ..lol

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
And yet the BBC's recent experiments with 1080p broadcasts don't apply to Freesat (Freesat users get 1080i BBC HD broadcasts at all times, albeit without sound drop outs).

I don't know if this is an issue Freesat will address in future? To be honest, describing this an "issue" is an overstatement. Mildly disappointing would be more accurate.

I make this point only to stress that there are advantages and drawbacks to both services; but if coverage is the main sticking point, installation of a dish sounds a sensible solution, as Clare suggests.

mattytun1514

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 3 year ago i stopped my sky package because it was expensive, I also told them to take the dish down as well wish i kept it now so i could buy a freesat box
smiley-cry.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mattytun1514 said:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr BBC ALBA is gaelic language i was channel hopping last night and it was on, i did retune my tv & DVD few weeks ago it picked up BBC ALBA ,is there anyway of getting rid of ALBA

uyuyuy.jpg

I have previously made the point that BBC Alba was a complete waste of licence payers money.

In the 2001 census, only 1.2% of Scots had some Gaelic abilty, 7.3% down on 1991.

I personally think Scottish schools would be a better place to keep a dying language alive.

A

Anonymous

While I don't think that replacing radio 2 on freeview at certain times is a great idea, that doesn't mean that regional radio and tv services are a waste of money. I think that these services offer valuable cultural content that simply is not available anywhere else. People who use these services pay their licence fee like anyone else and deserve the programming they want / need. Isn't that the point of the bbc? To make programmes for everyone?

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Radios 1 and 2 are major national radio stations. If you switch these off at certain times of the day to satisfy a very tiny minority then you are doing a great dis-service to the majority. Tell the people of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and all the major Scottish towns and cities that they have to listen to Alba broadcasting in a language they do not understand, and I think you will receive a very succint response! He who pays the piper should call the tune!

sc1

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
Slightly off the original topic but...

I am not a gaelic speaker but isn't the whole point of the BBC, and its main strength, that it is a public service broadcaster that should be, and does try to provide for minority programming interests, otherwise TV would be back to back reality TV, property programmes and Eastenders and the the radio would be 24hrs a day of Chris Moyles on Radio 1 and back to back sport and phone-in sport shows on radio 5.

If minority interests were ignored then BBC6 radio would be gone tomorrow.

sc1

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site

I am not a gaelic speaker but isn't the whole point of the BBC, and its main strength, that it is a public service broadcaster that should be, and does try to provide for minority programming interests, otherwise TV would be back to back reality TV, property programmes and Eastenders and the radio would be 24hrs a day of Chris Moyles on Radio 1 and back to back sport and phone-in sport shows on radio 5.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
sc1 said:

I am not a gaelic speaker but isn't the whole point of the BBC, and its main strength, that it is a public service broadcaster that should be, and does try to provide for minority programming interests, otherwise TV would be back to back reality TV, property programmes and Eastenders and the radio would be 24hrs a day of Chris Moyles on Radio 1 and back to back sport and phone-in sport shows on radio 5.

Agree, but there are other ways of serving those minorities without switching off a major national station.

mattytun1514

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr whats going on ive just lost "radio 2" on freeview it should go off air at 5pm but it went off air at 4pm dont they know the clocks have changed. >) >) >) >)

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Why not listen to it on the internet? Better quality sound than on Freeview. (That is assuming that you get at least 0.5 Mb/s speed, which cannot be guaranteed in the Scottish borders!)

Andrew (also in the Scottish borders)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts