bookshelf speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently purchased the new Arcam FMJ17 CD player and FMJ18 Amplifier. I am seeking a very high quality pair of bookshelf speakers to accomodate this set-up. To date, I have been focusing on either the QUAD 12L or EPOS 12.2 Bookshelf speakers, but I cannot arrive at a decision. Both are similarly priced with very high praise given in their respective categories.

I have also been reviewing other brands, but these two seem to occupy my attention. Due to the layout configuration of my room - I can place the speakers a few metres apart, but they will be situated very close to the wall - with very little room to breathe from behind. Although they will have great space to breathe outwardly into the room, I am ultimately wondering whether it will be money wasted investing in high quality bookshelf speakers due to this unfortunate predicament. I am stumped on this - and there is no way around it.

Any information regarding these speakers and which, if any, will be more suitable to close proximity to the wall - would be much appreciated. Thanks.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Also look at AVI Neutron IV and ProAc Studio or Tablettes.

I heard the Neutrons against the m12.2 epos and they were better.

A

Anonymous

The review linked below states that the 11Ls would be OK with 20cm rear breathing space but the 12Ls would need more. Perhaps you could try the 11s instead. Alternatively you could look at PMC's offerings. The DB1s are front ported and can be used near a wall. Their presentation may well suit the Arcam gear more than the Quads too, being a bit brighter. Can't comment on the EPOS I'm afraid.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/quad_11_12_e.html

John Duncan

igglebert:The DB1s are front ported and can be used near a wall.

They're not, it's at the rear, but can - the transmission line doesn't really act like a port (I'm told), and have used them both against a wall and with a bit more space with no difference I could tell (though in the context of completely different setup).

There's always your sealed-box Spendors Ig, hence question on budget.........

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Also look at AVI Neutron IV and ProAc Studio or Tablettes.

I heard the Neutrons against the m12.2 epos and they were better.

Sorry, it looks like the Neutron V is now available. They are definitely worth a listen, the only reason I didn't buy the IVs there and then when I heard them as I wanted to biamp but they only had one set of terminals.

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/Neutron/Neutron%20IV.html

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:igglebert:The DB1s are front ported and can be used near a wall.

They're not, it's at the rear, but can - the transmission line doesn't really act like a port (I'm told), and have used them both against a wall and with a bit more space with no difference I could tell (though in the context of completely different setup).

There's always your sealed-box Spendors Ig, hence question on budget.........
My goodness you're right, my apologies! I was thinking GB1. You're also right that the opening doesn't act as a port in the traditional sense. Oh dear, time to go home and listen to Coldplay's new album...

I can't recommend the Spendors enough but they are a bit pricey...

John Duncan

igglebert:Oh dear, time to go home and listen to Coldplay's new album...

I'd rather hear your b-llocks than theirs, mate.........
emotion-5.gif

Later.

T

the record spot

Also consider the Quadral Pico - Hi Fi World gave them a 5 star (okay, globe!) review in the August issue summarising them with having a delicate, finessed treble, open and detailed midband, war, tuneful bass and a quality design and build. They found no complaints at the price (£650) and the reviewwer went on to say he could think of no other mini-monitor he'd prefer in that price bracket right now.

Assuming those tonal qualities are okay for your tastes and given they've been reduced in price by £200 recently, I'd be pinning them onto my short list pretty quickly I think...!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
After my listening to the new FMJ range of amps and players I had another play around today though not with the 18 but just the 28, this time with cyrus'es 8se as source. Your 18 is a capable amplifier though bass is not its strength. I would imagine that something like the epos you've mentioned make a decent match. I'd probably be inclined to choose the smaller 5's as I dont think your amplifier will control the 12.2's enough. We tried a number of speakers, including Rega's R3 which I've hardly ever heard boom but it did on this occasion. A good match for the 28 today was PMC's DB1i but even there the bass was not that tight with the Arcam.

As long as you stay with a thight sounding, energetic small speaker you should be fine.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:igglebert:Oh dear, time to go home and listen to Coldplay's new album...

emotion-5.gif

Later.
I'll take that as a compliment...

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site

John Duncan

igglebert:JohnDuncan:igglebert:Oh dear, time to go home and listen to Coldplay's new album...

emotion-5.gif

Later.

Good, was meant as one, though reading it again......

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:igglebert:JohnDuncan:igglebert:Oh dear, time to go home and listen to Coldplay's new album...

emotion-5.gif

Later.

Yes I'll give that a wide berth too. JD, you won't be listening to any of that rubbish when you come round...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
And you don't think she'll notice!!!!!

Even the 192 is very different, longer to load, can't choose a track before the drawer goes in, vastly different sound...if I hadn't told her she would have guessed and she really isn't very observant or interested in my hifi, or at least so she claims, but every time I get home from work it's on at reasonably high volume - still she's not interested

I'm looking forward to listening to your system, it sounds very nice, I really like the PMCs that I've heard (funnily enough with an Arcam Solo in a TV commercial editing suite, I knew more about the kit than the editor but it sounded good, albeit with good sonic damping etc as you'd expect)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:JohnDuncan:igglebert:JohnDuncan:igglebert:Oh dear, time to go home and listen to Coldplay's new album...

emotion-5.gif

Later.

Yes I'll give that a wide berth too. JD, you won't be listening to any of that rubbish when you come round...

Great example of music snobbery.
So what 'rubbish' do you like?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:JoelSim:JohnDuncan:igglebert:JohnDuncan:igglebert:Oh dear, time to go home and listen to Coldplay's new album...

emotion-5.gif

Later.

Sorry Gwyneth
emotion-11.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:fr0g:JoelSim:JohnDuncan:igglebert:JohnDuncan:igglebert:Oh dear, time to go home and listen to Coldplay's new album...

emotion-5.gif

Later.

Sorry Gwyneth
emotion-11.gif

Wrong answer.
I am not keen on the new album, and Coldplay are not really on my radar these days. But I really hate music snobbery... Its so stupid. Nobody is right when it comes to subjective material, so saying something you dont like, is rubbish, is dumb.

I'll rephrase in the language it makes me think of...

"yah ayl giv tht a wide bth 2. JD, you wnt b lstng 2 NE of tht crp wn U cm rnd...n sht"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts