bookshelf speakers Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi What Hi Fi Friends I´m new in the world of hi fi but since I met the forum I´ve been reading it, so I am asking for your opinion about some things ….

A year ago I bought a home theater integrated with a Sony blue ray, an Arcam avr 280 and a package of speakers b & w 684, 685 and the small series center (I don’t remember the model), but the truth is that the 90 percent of the times I only listen to the front speakers in pure direct stereo so I think I must buy a new stereo system that represents a substantial improvement. I would tell you that I like the sound of the B&W 684 with my amp but not enough, I don’t know how to tell you, but they don’t have that touch that makes you feel the music. For that reason I think I need a pair of monitors for my small living room and the price limit would be £1500

As you know the best way to choose a speaker is listening to it, but unfortunately in Mexico is difficult to hear the different brands of speakers to make a good choice. Therefore I am asking for your advice, I could only listened the Dynaudio Focus 110 and the proac tablette 8 and I prefered the Dynaudios, I know that other brands like Totem, Spendor, ATC, Neat or Pmc has good reviews in bookshelf speakers at this price level (£ 1500), but I have never heard it, what are your opinion about these brands in comparison with the dyns and proacs?

For more information I would like to tell you some points that can help you to give me your advice • I am looking for bookshelf speakers

• Room 5 x 4 x2.5 meters

• Listening level volume from 80 to 90 db

• Rock and pop 75%, jazz and classical 25%

• I have no acoustic treatment in my room

• I am interested in a good image sound with good and accurate bass

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
How about spending the money on a new (or used) stereo amp? Then you will probably get the most out of your speakers. Maybe you could arrange a home demo of a stereo amp and see if it makes you "feel" the music?

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I wish I had a room that "small".

I would suggest that standmount speakers will give you better results than having them on bookshelves. Possibly even your existing equipment.

A

Anonymous

Here in Mexcio is very difficult to arrange a demo of a stereo amp, there are a few stores who sell rotel, denon, cambridge audio, and HK but you can only listen their amps in the same store, so they sound bad because the sellers dont know how to place properly the speakers and the rooms are made from glass walls.

I was thingking about the bookshelf speakers because is easier to place them in my room, but asi yo say could get better benefits if I get a stereo amp, do you think rotel ra-1520 is good enough? what amp do you recommend me?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello Lobatros

I agree with the others who recommend you change amplifiers and then speakers. The Dynaudios are great speakers with very good bass, so they would be good for rock and pop, which forms the majority of your listening. I have not heard Totem but Spendor is known for its sweet midrange (great for vocals) while ProAcs and PMCs are great allrounders.

I own the Spendor SA1 and PMC DB1i and both work very well with Naim amplifiers.I'm sure an entry-level Naim amp would also easily drive the Dynaudios.

Another suggestion is to consider NAD amplifiers, excellent value for money. I found the 326BEE to be one of the best budget amps I've ever heard.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

after all, what is you opinion about PMC TB2i in comparison whit the dynaudio focus 110, how about te bass? some say that the bass of TB2i is dry/thin, well is what I read in the forum. would you like to recommend me an amp for that sepakers?

Thanks

matthewpiano

The Rotel would make an excellent buy and have great synergy with your B&W speakers. If you aren't going to continue to pursue the surround sound side of things you could then:

Try the 684s and 685s with the Rotel amp and choose which you like the best.
Sell the ones you like the least, and put the money towards a future upgrade.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Lobatros, I'm not familiar with that PMC model but in general, PMCs have good, tight bass. Here's a suggestion- spilt your budget evenly between an amp and speakers. This may mean a slightly cheaper Dynaudio - the Excite X12, which has also enjoyed very good reviews. You can then go for a larger NAD or Rotel amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts