Bookshelf speakers, budget around £150

ThomasM.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

tried to find the information I was looking for by reading the budget speakers threads I found.

But still not sure which one to order.

My amp is a Denon DRA 700 AE.

I listen to e.g. Munford and Sons, Kate Nash, Of Monsters and Men, Gemma Hayes and ... CDs.

The listening room is about 25m², with stereo triangle of about 2m - 2,5m.

I can put the speakers on stands and provide some space to the wall.

By reading I found the following speakers:

Tannoy Mercury V1

Mission MX1

Q Acoustics 2020i

Mordaunt Short Aviano XR1 (btw, what is the difference to the standard aviano1)

I could only demo the Tannoys. I liked the sound but was not fully satisfied. Hard to describe what I missed, but it could be the rounded-off treble.

I have Mordaunt Shorts 902i in another room and like them very much. The detailed, rich treble. Also like the bottom end and vocals they provide.

I'm not able to demo the Missions and Q Acoustics.

So could someone give an advice, which of the speakers above could fit to the Denon and the music I like.

I prefer open, detailed treble and clear vocals.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

ThomasM.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that link.

That reads very convincing.

Unfortunately Q Acoustics are not very common in Germany (found just two online shops - selling them for around 199€ per speaker).

Therefore I want to order them in the UK. Amazon oder av-bristol, which deliver to Germany.

So event with shipping it's nearly half the price then ordering from German shops.

But returning them to the UK is not worthwhile due to shipping costs.

That's why I ask for advice or sound impressions/comparisons.

Thomas

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ThomasM. said:
Thanks for that link.

That reads very convincing.

Unfortunately Q Acoustics are not very common in Germany (found just two online shops - selling them for around 199€ per speaker).

Therefore I want to order them in the UK. Amazon oder av-bristol, which deliver to Germany.

So event with shipping it's nearly half the price then ordering from German shops.

But returning them to the UK is not worthwhile due to shipping costs.

That's why I ask for advice or sound impressions/comparisons.

Thomas

I see. 199Euros seems OK, if you order online I presume you can return within 7 days if not happy?

Price in UK is around £160? Unless I misunderstand how is that cheaper than Germany?

ThomasM.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Ouch, I see.

Even more "Ouch" is a pair gloss black/white which is around 500€

Also a pair of Mission MX1 is around 250€ compared to 119£...

Only the Tannoys are relatively cheep atm, at around 130€.

But this is a limited special offer. Only a few left...

At normal Price they are at around 220€

ThomasM.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation.

I read a lot about these speakers and they are also available in Germany.

Unfortunately their price raised recently, so they are a little bit over the budget now.

Also they are well known in Germany and I wanted something different ;)

T

the record spot

Would you consider buying secondhand? Your budget will go further with well looked after speaekrs and some dealers carry a line in used stock that's well looked after. I'm thinking Mission 751 which will blow anything new out the water you have in mind just now. The original model, not the later Freedom version which sucked the life out of the music.

ThomasM.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
There are some manufactures here in Germany which produce decent entry level speakers.

I had Heco and Magnat speakers and still own Magnet Vector 203 which are very good at it's price.

Don't like the entry level Cantons, as for my personal taste they sound too bright.

Don't familiar with Elac at all.

I like trying/listening to different speakers and keep swapping them on a price level on up to 200€ new or 2nd hand (btw, no 2. hand Mission 751 available atm).

From the speakers I owned within the last two years, I liked Mordaunt Short 902i and 904i most so I was looking for other speakers from UK.

As I wrote, also liked the tannoys, but missed a bit of the top end of the MS 902i.

Anyway, not saying that German speakers are bad (not at all), just want to try something different as I haven't found THE budget speaker for me yet.

ThomasM.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I found some 2. hand Aviano 1 on ebay's small ads.

Do you know the difference between the original one and the XR version?

Can one hear the difference?

[edit]

Also found 2. hand Mission MX2 speakers, which rated 4 Stars too.

Wonder why the MX2 got "only" 4 stars while MX1 won an award....

ThomasM. said:
I found some 2. hand Aviano 1 on ebay's small ads.

Do you know the difference between the original one and the XR version?

Can one hear the difference?

[edit]

Wonder why the MX2 got "only" 4 stars while MX1 won an award....

Well they are no less talented. Competition. Nothing more, nothing less.

In isolation you'll probably be thrilled.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
The XR1 has a more refined, sweeter treble

MS Aviano XR 1 review in Hifi World magazine in bookshelf speakers comparative test, in ... issue, you can buy the review and read online. See on the net: Hifiworld.co.uk

ThomasM.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation.

Unfortunately, the XR listed on Amazon.co.uk is not shipped to Germany and avbristol.co.uk (who ship to Germany) do not offer MS.

If you buy them in GER, the XR version is 300€ :mad:

BUT! I spotted a pair of 2. hand PSB Alpha B1 for about 200€ here in Germany. I will contact the vendor for more details as condition and shipping.

If this fits, I will give them a try and keep all your helpful posts in mind, when swapping next time!

:cheers:

ThomasM.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Meanwhile I got the PSBs. As the PSBs were not brand new, so I could immediately start listening. They were really good, but I missed something. I liked them more than the Tannoys, but they just didn't convinced me totally. Luckily there was no problem returning them and now, a pair of Q Acoustics 2020i are on the way to Germany :)

ThomasM.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I got the Q Acoustics 2020i delivered from the UK.
Great, I am totally happy with them :cheer:

Again, thanks for all the replies and recommendations!

Thomas

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts