SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
B & W speakers are detailed but can be rather forward. If you’re looking for speakers which are a little smoother but with good instrumental placing and separation then I would recommend KEFs (Q350s new or R100s used) or Dali Oberon 1 or 3 as starters.

If I can only have something like 12 inch between the wall and the speaker, having an rear event can be problematic ?
If you can find any look out for EB Acoustic EB2s, they are a sealed-box design and brilliant. I replaced my 685s with them. Arcaydis have reissued them but they are going to be over £500 and they area tad bigger than the 685s
Are floorstanders definitely out?

rainsoothe

12 inch is not that bad, but they should be on a stand (Atacama Nexus 6i comes to mind, center collumn filled 2/3 or 1/2 with sand). If they are on a shelf, try ISOacoustics, or at least Vibrapods (but the ISOacoustics are better, thanks to the elevation). If you want a "rounder" sound, look at Kef r100 or Mission QX2 or the new PSB Alpha P5. Acoustic Energy AE300 are also worth investigating, and are better suited for close to wall placement.

If you don't mind sh or can't find a discounted pair, you won't beat Focal Aria 906 - they pair great with any amplifier and, being front ported, are very unfussy with positioning. Detailed but really smooth, and very big sound.

insider9

If you can find any look out for EB Acoustic EB2s, they are a sealed-box design and brilliant. I replaced my 685s with them. Arcaydis have reissued them but they are going to be over £500 and they area tad bigger than the 685s
Are floorstanders definitely out?
EBs are more versatile. However if OP could find Red Rose Rosebuds (possibly within budget) then these are one of the finest and easy to drive bookshelves out there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts